View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
GoJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycards View Post
It's funny that people are so opposed to blood on the cards. One the comments on the article asks "So blood equals glory?" I feel like this has been established as a fact in hockey. You hear about how players playing through pain, playing with stitches, etc., is the test of a 'real' hockey player. Even when I played hockey, I feel like you were honoured for playing through the bloody battles.

I guess my point is the fact that blood is a part of hockey that has been well established. Pretending that players don't get injured and bloody is kind of ignorant. I'm on the fence about whether fighting should be banned, the evidence linking fighting to degenerative brain conditions is pretty damning, but at the same time, I don't think it is such a terrible thing to acknowledge that fighting has historically been a pretty integral part of the game. Maybe if the cards haven't been printed just remove the blood that people are so opposed to? Obviously you don't want to offend the families of the players in
the set, but the rest of the people who are commenting aren't the people that would buy this set in first place.
Finally somebody gets it! Playing through pain isn't a punishment, it's a test of your mental and physical strength. It seems like in this overly cautious world getting a minor injury (twisted ankle, lost teeth ) means you can't play. On the contrary!

As for the fighting in hockey, it shouldn't even have to be a question: it has to stay. You can take all the good hits out of hockey (not headshots, those need to go. I'm talking hard body checks) and it will still work. But take fighting out of the game, you're taking away hockey's passion. Don Cherry (yeah, I quote him ) has said many times before he knew no fighters that died when he was playing. And he played in the 50's and 60's! It was a bad summer for hockey. If fighting did have such a huge impact on the players you'd think it would have come out years ago. But it didn't.

Of course, this is just one old-school hockey fans opinion.