View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
phillyphantom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
No, he is completely right. The bullpen is BAD. Papelbon is a great closer...but you have to get it to him. You're telling me that Chad Qualls is your stopper guy? Who else is reliable? Stutes (no), bastardo (no), Contreras (no)?

I didn't mention this at first, since hitting is far and away their biggest problem, but the pen is also a glaring weakness.
I'm not sure I agree on this. The numbers don't necessarily support the "eye test" for me on this, but Stutes especially brings the confidence and attitude our bullpen needs. I know, I know...this isn't an "attitude/confidence" problem, but with our bats being so bad (as you mentioned being the primary issue) we have to have the bullpen on board to hold down a Halladay/Lee/Hamels low-run allowance. We all agree the bats are the issue, but if the middle-relievers don't believe in the team enough that giving up a run in the 7th-8th inning(s) puts the game out of reach, then we're sunk this season.

Speaking of bats, how good is that Pence trade looking? This guy continues to breath life into a seriously anemic offense like Jayson Werth used to (for $100million less )

Please PM me if you have any low-numbered Hunter Morris cards (any year)!!
phillyphantom7 is offline   Reply With Quote