View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
pakman916

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysBench View Post
I live in Ellicott City, and hopefully will be buying a V.I.P ticket. I CANT WAIT!!!
I envy you. I'm in MD too, but in MoCo. 45 minute hike. I'd rather have your 10-15 minute hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVanquish View Post
I plan on driving from Pittsburgh. I've never been to it or any other major show. I just got back into collecting a few months ago. So far I've bought a retail box of 2011 topps, hobby 2008 topps, and jumbo 2012 topps series 2. I am planning to buy a 2012 bowman platinum box to get the exclusive 25-card sequentially numbered 2012 Bowman Platinum Blue Foil Parallel set. I don't have much interest in rookies or prospects so I am not sure if that is a good idea. I only collect Nolan Ryan. The box and exclusive set would just be a gamble to sell or trade them for more packs I do like or Nolan Ryan cards. I have no idea what to expect. I'll bring a few of my best cards that someone might want to trade for packs/box and I'll only have about $100 to spend on a box :\
gf is up for it just to get on the beach and ocean... Do I leave her in the car with the window cracked to save $20
You live on the east coast, so you know how HOT august is going to be. By the time your done, you gf might be 20 lbs lighter.

Welcome back to the hobby by the way. Let me be the first to tell you, the National is a card collectors Wonka Chocolate Factory. LOTS AND LOTS of stuff to see. I'm all about the thrill of breaking and monster pulls, so I spent most of my time near the Topps/Panini/UD/PressPass/Blowout area ripping cards in 2010. But if you are in to autographs, they will have a pretty extensive list. And as others have stated, lots of vintage and everything in between.

It's easy to just get lost in it all. My buddy and I went all 5 days last year and we kept forgetting to eat. By the end of the day, I was so partched from not drinking anything...but you just lose track of time and what's going on...so much to do and look at for a card collector. Even better when you have money to spend. As I said in my first post...START SAVING NOW. You will thank me for it later.

Just some pointers, last year, BO let you buy online and pickup from the show. So that would be cool. Also, if BO gets lucky this year, they will be right in the middle of things. There's almost no need to bring your own supplies because there will be people selling stuff there. Prices, from what I can tell on unopened wax, is on par with what is on the websites. Bring something to carry your stuff in. It's not unusual to see people rolling a suitcase or wearing a backpack. And wear comfortable shoes.

And just to comment on the earlier comment about angry people...just let it go. This is really a great show, don't ruin it for yourself and others to settle a score. I've had the occasional run in on these forums, but it's not worth it. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder the entire time. This is a great change to meet other collectors, make some trades, show off what you got. Just a GREAT time. I CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited by pakman916; 06-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote