View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #119 (permalink)
gamboooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
I just want to say that although some people find this thread or my ideas dumb, that they are by no means right. I just am really saying that I think some sort of action should be taken to ensure the safety of ALL members (the emblem idea). I understand it is almostimpossible to monitor minor's thread subissions, or check ages when signing up. My opinion is that there should be some parameters when dealing with minors here, that's all.
If you're going to go that route, please don't stop at age. I'd want badges for people incapable of rational thought. For instance, in your OP, what does it matter if the seller uses insurance or DC on an item from the buyer's perspective? Here's the answer, it does not. Delivery confirmation is only necessary to protect the seller in the PayPal dispute process. "But it lets me track the card to my doorstep!" Who cares... It will show up in 2-3 days. You don't need status updates in the meantime. Insurance protects the seller against risk of loss. If a card is damaged while in transit, the buyer is getting his money back in lieu of the card whether or not insurance was purchased. Along similar lines and for practical purposes, it does not matter that contracts entered into by minors are voidable. On smaller transactions, you aren't going to pursue a legal remedy against anyone regardless of age, as you'd spend more money going after the guy than the card is worth. On higher-end deals, just because a contract is unenforceable doesn't mean the kid can keep the card without recourse. You could get the police involved, he'd have to return the card, and he'd be facing criminal charges. If he sold it in the meantime, you could probably recover it from the third party. It's pretty much the same procedure you'd go through if the thief was 50, 70, 90, etc.

I'd also want a badge for anyone who complains about a shipping charge they agreed to pay in the first place. In a perfect world, they'd have their internet privileges revoked.

There are a million things that take place on these boards that could/should piss off a rational person. I'm just saying calling for an age limit on a message board devoted to a hobby with a substantial minor population is dumb. Especially considering there are a ton of mouth breathing dopes here who are 18+. Research who you're dealing with beforehand, use your best judgment, and you'll be fine. We don't need an age limit.
gamboooler is online now   Reply With Quote