View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
lucky4444's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 987
Default My Horrors of War Collection

Here is my small collection of HoW

Peter C Lemon:

Peter C. Lemon is among the most dynamic motivational keynote speakers of our time.
An Ambassador of courage, determination and triumph, he profoundly enriches the
lives of others.

Mr. Lemon is one of the youngest surviving recipients of America's highest award:
The 'Congressional Medal of Honor'. Vastly outnumbered in a fierce enemy attack
in Vietnam, Mr. Lemon assisted in saving the lives of his team. Although wounded
numerous times, he refused to be evacuated until the enemy had retreated and his
injured comrades were airlifted to safety.

Entertaining audiences as a professional speaker for over a decade, Mr. Lemon is
an acclaimed author and the executive producer of the Emmy winning documentary
Beyond the Medal. An industry leader for thirty years, his companies provided
business insurance to over three thousand restaurants nationwide and professional
liability insurance for the 70,000 nurses of the National Organization of Health Care
Professionals and as a commercial general contractor built convenience stores
for Amoco, Exxon, Phillips, Conoco and Diamond Shamrock.

Recently, the President of the United States presented Mr. Lemon the prestigious
'Outstanding American by Choice' award in a 2009 White House ceremony
recognizing his life of professional achievement and civic contribution.

Mr. Lemon is an inductee in the elite special operations 75th Rangers 'Ranger Hall of Fame', holds a Bachelors Degree in Speech and
a Masters of Science degree in Business Administration.

Author of Beyond the Medal, A Journey from Their Hearts to Yours and executive producer of the documentary Beyond the Medal of
Honor, Mr. Lemon donated his book to the 32,000 secondary schools in the United States. In partnership with his friend Ross Perot, the
documentary, with curriculum, was given to over 17,000 public and private high schools to inspire our youth to become worthy citizens.
Mr. Lemon continues to volunteer his time with our children, advocating positive decisions that build character and motivating them to
live their dreams.

George L Marby

General Mabry, who joined the Army after graduating from Presbyterian College in Clinton, S.C., in 1940, landed with the Fourth Infantry Division on Utah Beach in Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944.

He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during an attack on Nov. 20, 1944, in the Huertgen Forest near Schevenhutte, Germany. He was cited for clearing a path through a German minefield, capturing three German bunkers, killing three German soldiers and injuring another with his rifle butt. He captured nine other Germans. He served as a regimental commander of the 31st Infantry Regiment in Korea from 1954 to 1956, and later spent 10 years in the Panama Canal Zone, including four as commanding general.

As the commander of American support troops in Vietnam in 1969, General Mabry ordered an investigation of eight Special Forces soldiers accused of murdering Thai Khac Chuyen, an American espionage agent suspected of also working for the Vietcong. The Army later dropped the charges against the Green Berets, saying that the Central Intelligence Agency had refused to let its personnel testify at their courts-martial.

Frank Guidone

Marine Raider - Captain Frank Guidone USMC (Retired)

Frank Guidone may well be described as the quintessential Marine Raider. He participated in the initial assault landing of United States World War II troops in the Tulagi landing; he participated in raiding the Japanese operation base at Tasimboko; he participated in defeating the Japanese assault in the battle of Edson’s Bloody Ridge; he contributed to the defeat of the Japanese in the second Matanikau battle; in addition, he operated in enemy territory, made prolonged essential reconnaissance and obtained valuable intelligence in the New Georgia war canoe patrol; guided troop landing and fought in the New Georgia campaighn. His contribution to the success of Marine Raider operations in the Solomon Islands was remarkable.

Dick Rossi

John Richard Rossi was born on April 19, 1915 in Placerville, California. Schooled in San Francisco, he attended the University of California at Berkeley. He entered the Navy for flight training in the fall of 1939. Upon receiving his wings and commission in 1940, he was assigned as Flight Instructor at Pensacola, Florida.

“Dick” Rossi resigned his Navy commission in 1941 to join the American Volunteer Group (AVG) under the command of Colonel Claire Chennault. He arrived in Rangoon on November 12, 1941 with a group of thirty volunteers on the Dutch ship M.S. Bosch Fontein. He was undergoing a training program in P-40 aircraft at Toungoo, Burma, when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Rossi engaged in his first combat over Burma in January 1942 (the second time he fired the guns in the P-40 he was in combat) and flew his last over the East China front in July 1942. Most of his combat missions were over Rangoon. Dick was a member of the AVG’s First Pursuit Squadron (Adam and Eve). He also did detached combat duty with the Second and Third Squadrons, serving under all the AVG squadron commanders.

When the AVG, better known as the “Flying Tigers,” was disbanded in 1942, Rossi joined the China National Aviation Corporation, flying supplies from India to China. By the time the war was over he had flown more than 735 trips across the “Hump.” After the war, Rossi, a founder of the freight carrier, the Flying Tiger Line, returned to California where he flew as a captain for 25 years, logging a lifetime of over 25,000 hours flying. He has served as president of the American Volunteer Group Flying Tigers Association for fifty years and is a member of the American Fighter Aces Association.

The Chinese government awarded Rossi the White Cloud Banner (Yun Mo) V Grade, China Air Force Wings (5 Stars) and the China War Memorial (Kang Chan Chi-nien Chang) Decoration. He has also earned and received two Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Air Medal, two Presidential Unit Citations, a World War II Victory Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with four bronze stars for the India-Burma, Central Burma, China Defensive and China Offensive campaigns, and the Honorable Service Lapel Button. In 1969 he was given a Commendation from the USAF for sustained aerial support of combat operations in South Vietnam. The AVG will be inducted into the Confederate Air Force Hall of Fame in 1998, in Midland Texas.

Kee Pon

Kee Jeung Pon was one of eleven Chinese-American technicians employed by Central Aircraft Manufacturing Company to help assemble the AVG P-40s in Rangoon. When the operation was closed down in January 1942 and CAMCO moved back to Loiwing on the China-Burma border, they joined the AVG with the title of engineering specialist, and when the group was disbanded in July most joined the U.S. Army in China.

His death leaves nine known survivors of the original Flying Tigers.

Paul Zorner

Zorner joined the Luftwaffe in October 1938 and began training at Oschatz-Sachsen on 7 November. He attended Luftkriegsschule 2 at Berlin-Gatow in and in November qualified and was sent for conversion training on twin-engine aircraft. He was posted as an instructor in July 1940. In March 1941 Leut. Zorner was posted to KGr.z.b.v. 104. to fly the Junkers Ju 52 transport aircraft. He flew over 160 missions in the Mediterranean area, and in August 1941 operated over the Ukraine.

In October 1941 Zorner commenced training as a night fighter pilot. He was the posted to 8. NJG 2 based at Gilze-Rijen to fly the Junkers Ju 88 C night fighter. In December 1942 Zorner was posted to command 2./NJG 3 at Wittmundhafen flying the Bf 110 and Do 217 night fighters.

On the night of 17-18 January 1943, Zorner claimed his first victory. By March, he had six victories to his credit. He was shot down on 17 April 1943 while intercepting USAAF bombers during the day, force-landed his Bf 110 near Cloppenburg.

He claimed his 10th victory on 25-26 July, a Halifax bomber raiding Essen, but he and his crewman had to bale out when his Bf 110 G-4 had an engine catch fire. In August 1943 Zorner was made Staffelkapitän of 8./NJG 3. He claimed three Lancaster bombers on 23-24 December, and another Lancaster near Luckenwalde as his 20th claim on 2-3 January 1944. He claimed another four Lancasters shot down on the night of 19-20 February and five more shot down on 24-25 February.

Zorner claimed a Mosquito night fighter of 169 Squadron shot down on 20-21 April. Zorner was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of III./NJG 5 in April 1944. On the night of 27-28 April, Zorner claimed three Lancasters shot down attacking Friedrichshafen to take his total to 46.

Zorner was awarded the Ritterkreuz in June for 48 victories. He shot down four bombers targeting railway installations in support of the Normandy invasion on the night of 10-11 June and then three Halifaxes targeting V-1 launch sites in the Pas-de-Calais on 24-25 July.

Zorner was awarded the Oakleaves on 17 September for 58 victories. In October 1944 Zorner was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 100 equipped with Ju 88 night-fighters. In February 1945 II./NJG 100 was relocated to Wien-Seyring. Major Zorner claimed his 59th and last victory on 5-6 March 1945, a B-24 bomber near Graz.

Zorner surrendered his Gruppe to United States troops near Karlsbad on 10 May 1945. He was then handed over to Soviet Forces on 17 May. He returned to Germany after years of incarceration in December 1949.

Zorner studied mechanical engineering in Stuttgart and entered the field of refrigeration engineering before he rejoined the Bundesluftwaffe in 1956 . He was not passed fit to fly jet fighters and returned to civilian life in May 1957. He was employed within the chemical industry. He retired in 1981 as a chief engineer with Hoechst near Frankfurt. Zorner was credited with 59 victories recorded at night in 272 missions, of which 110 were night fighter missions.

Charles O'Neil

Charles F. O’Neil was born in Manchester, England, March 15, 1842, son of John and Mary Anne (Francis) O’Neil. At the age of five he came to the U. S. with his parents, who settled in Boston, Massachusetts. He went to sea at the age of 16, making a trip to Calcutta on the Oliver Putnam of Newburyport, Massachusetts. On his second voyage on the Oliver Putnam, the vessel foundered in the Indian Ocean and O’Neil and others drifted for five days before being rescued by a French slaver.

O’Neil’s naval career was lengthy and spectacular. At the opening of the Civil War, he enlisted in the United States Navy. He achieved the rare feat of rising from enlisted status in 1861 to flag rank by 1897. He was master’s mate on the U. S. S. Cumberland at the fight at Hatteras inlet and in the battle with the Merrimac in Hampton Roads, when the Cumberland was rammed and sunk. While the crew struggled in the water, O’Neil rescued Lt. Commander Morris, commander of the Cumberland. For his heroism, he was promoted to acting master. As navigator on the gunboat Rhode Island, O’Neil participated in the attacks on Fort Fisher and blockade duty. At war’s end, he held the rank of acting volunteer lieutenant. In 1868, he was appointed lieutenant in the regular Navy. He became commander in 1884, and captain in 1897, and rear admiral in 1901. While serving as first commander of the U.S.S. Marblehead, O’Neil sailed to the Nicaraguan coast in 1894. There he negotiated the sovereignty of Nicaragua to the satisfaction of the U. S. and Great Britain which had served as the country’s protectorate. O’Neil also protected U. S. interests in Turkey in 1892 and 1893.

An expert in naval ordnance, O’Neil became superintendent of the naval gun factory at the Washington naval yard. He played a key role in developing the modern U. S. Navy. In 1897, he was made Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance. Following the Spanish-American War, O’Neil designed naval guns of all calibers and as president of the U.S. Navy board of construction prepared plans for the Navy’s new vessels. He later was sent abroad to study the ordnance of departments of foreign navies.

He married April 6, 1869 to Mary Caroline, daughter of Richard Frothingham, historian of Charlestown, Massachusetts. They had one son, Dr. Richard Frothingham O’Neil. Rear Admiral O’Neil died at Chelsea, Massachusetts February 28, 1927.

Robert Gilliland

Robert J. "Bob" Gilliland was born in Memphis, TN. During WWII, at the age of 17, he volunteered for the U.S. Navy and was training to go into submarines when he was accepted into the U.S. Naval Academy at the war's end. As a midshipman he served on various warships, including a heavy cruiser, destroyer, carrier, and the battleship USS North Carolina in which his GQ station was the 16 inch gun turret.

He graduated from Annapolis in 1949 with a degree in engineering. Just prior to graduation he volunteered to enter the USAF in the first class to be offered this opportunity. He did his flight training at Randolph Field, TX, and soloed in the T-6.

He did advance training at Chandler, AZ, flying the F-8O Shooting Star. His next assignment was to an operational fighter group flying the P-47 Thunderbolt and the F-84 Thunderjet.

In 1952 Bob volunteered for a combat tour in Korea flying the F-84 in a fighter-bomber unit at K-2 Airport, Taegu, Korea. In 1953 he returned to Ramstein AFB, Germany flying the F-86F Sabre Jet. Later that year he was assigned to Eglin AFB, FL, as a test pilot in fighter test and the U. S. Armament Center.

While at Eglin he had the opportunity to fly most of the aircraft in the USAF inventory. He left active service the following year and returned to his hometown, Memphis, where he joined the Tennessee Air National Guard. There he flew the P-51, B-26, RF-80, RF-84 and the F-104A, until 1960 at which time he joined Lockheed as a civilian test pilot flying all models of the F- 104 Starfighter. He also checked out some of the world?s leading pilots such as the Luftwaffe's Gunther Rall and Johannes Steinhoff, Canada's Wing Commander Kenneth Lett, and USAF General John Dunning.

Bob worked closely with the Air Forces of the Republic of China (Taiwan), Canada, Japan, Germany, and Italy, both in this country and abroad. Gilliland made the first flight of the Fiat-Aeritalia F-104S produced in Italy under license from Lockheed. Lou Schalk, whom Bob had known in Munich, Germany, was then Kelly Johnson's Chief Test Pilot (Johnson was Founder of the Lockheed Skunk Works.) and introduced Bob to Kelly who then invited Bob to join his organization.

In 1962 Bob went on to test the fastest and highest flying airplanes ever built, including the A-Il, A-12, YF-12A, and the SR-71. Bob was the first man to fly the SR-71A, the SR-71B, and YF-12A #936, which was later modified into the SR-71C. In the process of doing the principal testing of these planes,

He made the first flight of the SR-71 on December 22, 1964, taking the aircraft to mach 1.5 and 50,000 feet altitude. He was the first and principal test pilot for the SR-71 Aircraft Series and the first pilot to achieve full envelope expansion of the speed and altitude in the SR-71.

On 22 December 1964, Lockheed Test Pilot Bob Gilliland flew the first flight of SR-71 #950 at Palmdale, Calf, flying for 1 hour and over 1000 mph. As the SR-71 program continued to grow, Gilliland continued to be the first pilot to fly each Blackbird as it became operational, logging more experimental supersonic flight test-time above Mach 2 and Mach 3 than any other pilot.

Bob logged more flying time at Mach 3 then any other man. This flying time would only be exceeded by a few operational pilots and only over the long operating career of the Blackbird.

The Society of Experimental Test Pilots awarded the Kincheloe Award to Bob in 1964 for his work on these super secret planes. This is an award that is given annually for the Test Pilot of the Year.

Bob was also involved with fellow Lockheed pilot Darryl Greenamyer in breaking the FAI world restricted altitude speed record of 988.26 mph in a highly modified F-lO4RB on 24 October 1978.

Gilliland logged over 6,500 hours in many different aircraft, including the F-104, F-84, F-86, T-6, P-47, FY-12A, and SR-71.

Bob, now retired from Lockheed, is involved in various financial ventures, including serving as General Manager of DeSoto Oil and Gas Trust of Memphis, TN. He also serves as a trustee of ANA (the Association of Naval Aviation), the mother organization of naval carrier Tailhookers, Marine Corps pilots, training pilots, etc. Bob remains in demand as an aviation speaker.

A fellow in the Society of Experimental Test Pilots, Gilliland was awarded the Iven C. Kincheloe Award in 1964 for his work on the Blackbird program. He was named an Eagle by the Air Force Flight Test Historical Foundation in 1998 and received the Godfred L. Cabot Award established by the Lancaster City Council. Gilliland was awarded the Aerospace Walk of honor for his distinguished aviation career marked by significant and obvious achievements beyond one specific accomplishment.

Lewis Hershey

If ever a man was cut out for a job, it surely was Lewis B. Hershey, the most famous Director of the Selective Service System. During his nearly 29 years as Director, he walked a proverbial tightrope serving six Presidents, pleasing Congress, and placating the American public.

Hershey grew up on an Indiana farm in the late 1800s. With determination, he not only completed high school at a time when many left school after the eighth grade, but he went on to college. While still a young man, he served as a deputy to his father who was the local Sheriff. He also served as principal and teacher in a small school.

In 1911, he joined the Indiana National Guard for which he was paid ten cents for each weekly drill he attended. His first duty as a guardsman was in Indianapolis where his unit was sent to put down unrest as a result of a strike. As officers in the guard, at that time, were elected by popular vote, he succeeded in being elected as a Lieutenant in 1913.

The Indiana Guard was called to duty on the Mexican border in Texas, and Hershey commanded a company there for a short time in 1916. He returned to the University of Indiana to do graduate study later that same year. When the Indiana Guard was called up in 1917, Hershey was sent to an artillery unit and promoted to Captain. About this time, he married his longtime Indiana sweetheart, Ellen Dygert. His unit was sent overseas and arrived in Europe just as the war ended. He continued to serve in Europe for almost a year during which time he traveled and gained a perspective on the situation there.

Upon his return to America, he received a regular army commission as a Captain in 1920. While serving at Ft. Sill, he suffered an injury to his right eye in a polo game that caused him to lose sight in that eye. Nevertheless, he attended Command and General Staff School in 1931.

Following a short tour in Arkansas preparing camp sites for the newly formed Civilian Conservation Corps, he was selected to attend the War College which he completed in 1934. After 15 years as a Captain, he was promoted to Major while serving in Hawaii at Fort Shafter. Between that duty and his next assignment in Washington, he decided to take his family on a trip around the world.

In 1936 he was assigned to the War Department in Washington. Three years before, a group called the Joint Army Navy Selective Service Committee had drawn up a bill creating a new Selective Service System. A group of Reserve Officers called selective service specialists had been recruited. They were chosen for their influence in their local communities and were already taking correspondence courses about Selective Service with the idea they would form a nucleus for a national headquarters.

Bro. Hershey’s previous study in behavioral psychology, both at Command and General Staff School and The Army War College, made him a good choice to work with these selected recruits. He traveled throughout the country winning their loyalty and instilling the philosophy which was to be the basis of the Selective Service System.

In July and August of 1940, Congress began its debate on the Selective Service Bill, and by virtue of his four-year association with the concept, Hershey was a prime resource. It was then that he injected his personal philosophy about a decentralized system which would be operated by local boards. In September of 1940, he was promoted to Lt. Colonel. It was in these proceedings that his ability to deal with Congress as well as handle controversy first became evident.

A university president was assigned to be the first Director of Selective Service, but in reality, Hershey, as his assistant, handled most of the day-to-day operation. When the university president resigned in April of 1941, Hershey became Acting Director. He was appointed Director July 31, 1941, and was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General, bypassing the rank of Colonel.

Throughout his nearly 30 years as Director of Selective Service, he most always knew what Congress and the American public would accept. Any individual responsible for interrupting the lives of so many people would certainly be subject to criticism, and he had his share, but he always managed to stay in general favor. Bro. Hershey served under six Presidents and during his administration as Director, 14,555,000 were drafted into service.

Brother Hershey was introduced to Masonry early in life when his father took him to the local Lodge. He was raised in Northeastern Lodge No. 210 in Freemont, Indiana. Upon his retirement from the Directorship, he was honored by many organizations including the Freemasons for his many years of patriotic service.

Although Hershey advanced to the rank of General (four stars), he never left his common roots. His folksy manner endeared him to almost everyone who met him, even some of his avowed opponents.

Hajo Herrmann

Hajo Herrmann (1913-2010) was an outstanding German Luftwaffe pilot who also distinguished himself during the Second World War as a courageous air force commander and innovative air defense tactician. After the war he built a new career as an attorney, and became known for his role in civil rights cases, defending patriots and so-called “Holocaust deniers” accused of violating German laws against free speech. Until his death at the age of 97, he remained steadfastly loyal to his people, his heritage, and the ideals of his youth.

After beginning his military career as an infantry officer, he was commissioned in the newly formed Luftwaffe in 1935. From 1936 until 1937, he was a bomber pilot in the Condor Legion, which aided the Nationalists in the Spanish civil war.

After the outbreak of war in Europe in 1939, he flew planes in the campaigns in Poland and Norway. By 1940 he was Commander of the 7th Staffel KG-4 combat squadron, and led many air attacks on England during the “Battle of Britain.” In February 1941, his group went to Sicily, where it flew against British forces in Malta and Greece. In one attack, Herrmann dropped a bomb on an ammunition ship that set off a explosion so devastating that it sank eleven ships and rendered the Greek port of Piraeus unusable for months. In early 1942, he was Commander of III/KG 30, which struck from Norway against Allied Arctic convoys, including attacks on convoy PQ-17

In mid-1942 he was assigned to the Luftwaffe Operational Staff, where he soon made a name for himself as a outstanding tactical and operational innovator in strengthening Germany’s air defenses.

In response to the ever more devastating attacks by British and American bombers, Herrmann created Luftwaffe night fighter attack squadron Jagdgeschwader 300, nicknamed Wilde Sau (German: wild boar), which used an innovative freelance fighter technique. Experienced night flying pilots and ex-instructors in Fw 190 fighters would visually “free-hunt” enemy bombers by the light of fires below, and with the aid of special 'flare-carrier” Junkers JU 88 s following the bomber streams, as well as the use of the Naxos radar detector unit on some of these single-engined fighters to find British night bombers when they were using radar.

In December 1943, the 30-year-old Herrmann was appointed Inspector of Aerial Defense. By 1944, he was Inspector General of night fighters. At the end of 1944, he led the “9. Flieger-division (J).”

During the war, all Germans were targeted for death in a ruthless bombing effort that Allied authorities themselves called a terror campaign. More than half a million were killed, and many more were maimed or wounded. More than seven million were made homeless. Herrmann’s important role in strengthening his homeland’s air defenses helped to save the lives of many women, children and other civilians from horrific suffering and death.

As a bomber pilot, Herrmann flew 320 missions and sank twelve ships totaling 70,000 tons. He also flew more than 50 night fighter missions, destroying nine Allied bombers He was shot down four times, and wounded twice. For his valor and skill, he earned a number of decorations, including the Knight’s Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords, the German Cross in Gold, and the Iron Cross, first and second class.

At the end of the war Herrmann became a Soviet captive, and was held for ten years in Soviet Russian prison camps.

After returning to his homeland in 1955, he studied law and settled in Düsseldorf., where he worked as an attorney. He served as a civil rights lawyer in defending such “thought criminals” as Otto Ernst Remer, David Irving and Fred Leuchter, who were charged with violating German laws against free speech. In the case of Irving, Herrmann defended the British historian at no charge in three “thought crimes” trials, 1990-1993.

Herrmann was a friend of the Institute for Historical Review. On Nov. 8, 1998, he addressed an IHR meeting in southern California, where he provided fascinating details about his remarkable life, and insights into the climate of intellectual repression in Germany. On several occasions he sought help and advice from IHR director Mark Weber.

Herrmann was the author of two volumes of memoirs. An English-language edition of his memoirs was published in 1991 under the title Eagle’s Wings.

He remained active into the final years of his life, practicing law and addressing meetings.

Max Heimo Rehbein

Max H. Rehbein - the "H" stands for Heimo - is only one of five awarded the Knight's Cross proven German soldiers of World War II who set out on radio and television after the war.
Max H. Rehbein was on 9 December 1918 in Cologne, the son of the privy privy councilor Arthur Rehbein (b. 1867) was born. After finishing high school at a local high school Max H. Rehbein was convened in 1938 for labor and military service, that he belonged to a generation of young German, who at that time, without a professional soldier to have been, from the peacetime conscription to grow into the war, and it for almost six years at the front witnessed to the bitter end.
The young Cologne was one of the pioneers and proven in combat, which earned him promotions and decorations after him on 7 9th 1944 as a captain on the staff of motorized pioneer Regiment 10 was awarded the German Cross in Gold, presented the 24th Armoured Division the then 26-year old captain and typically battalion commander of Engineer Battalion 23 for knights cross.
He was awarded this on 03.05.1945, after the remains of his division from the East Prussian Samland could be related to Schleswig-Holstein. In these fights was also self Rehbein, who became just before the war, the Major, seriously wounded, but fortune favored him hold that has remained loyal to him because of his ability to this day.

This enabled the ex-Major in spite of his wound, from Schleswig-Holstein to eke Hamburg, where he worked first as a driver of a British staff officer. Then he moved to his fiancée to Berlin-Zehlendorf over, in their parental home, the American occupiers had installed a press center. Rehbein's fiancee did translation work for themselves once in Berlin established what has been called the American press officer Curt Riess (1902-1993), the berlinerte still like a native, and in the following years became one of the most successful German-language journalists and writers. Made with him he known the future wife Rehbein, Riess, who was romantically involved just with the famous actress Kathe Dorsch, the employment wrote seeking young man a letter of Axel Eggebrecht (1899-1991), prominent one of the early in those post-war years and influential broadcast journalists, who at the time headed the political department of Radio Hamburg, in Riess recommendation stated:

"Dear Axel, I hereby present to you Mr. Rehbein. Kate and I are convinced that he has a high journalistic talent. You would do well to give him immediately to a senior position. Your Curt."

The interview in Hamburg has established that although the so kindly recommended young man had no practical experience in journalism, on no theoretical training at a university or even a journalism school could point and actually - as he himself admitted frankly - except the perfect operation of a machine gun and similar warlike hand skills after graduation barely learned something professionally Usable had Eggebrecht has yet been impressed by the candidates and have come to a positive decision. He gave it to a permanent position at 01.01.1947 transmitter with a monthly salary of 400 Reichsmarks. Thus began for Max - still not "H." - Rehbein of the social order and rise from the military had to civilian life at a time, waiting as tens of thousands of his fellow officers in the prison camps of Western and Eastern opponents still longing for the day of freedom and integration into civilian life for years.

He took his chance, he married and started immediately on his first foreign report by as without a passport on an old, abgetakelten patrol boat, which now went by the name "Neptune" on fishing, for a symbolic Heuer of 1 marks a month Leichtmatrose anmusterte, got a seaman's book and mitmachte a weeklong trip to the Lofoten Islands.
This was anything but a pleasure cruise, but was below most adventurous circumstances with 24 hour service around the clock and hard physical labor in dirt and cold, but he was then proud to be the first German radio journalist after the war, so true to life driving abroad from a to report.
After his first wife had died nine months after the wedding, he prepared in early 1952 before a new marriage.
When on 6.1. 1952 received the invitation to join the first departure of the sail training ship "PAMIR" the merchant navy as the only broadcast journalist who went from Hamburg to Rio de Janeiro to Patagonia and from there back to Hamburg. Only in July 1952 was finally the postponed wedding be made ​​up, along with a 46tägige adventurous trip across the Atlantic was one of the last tall ships, which had no auxiliary engine with a broken port anchor chain struggling through severe storm. Rehbein them reported daily on radio Norddeich directly from aboard the "PAMIR", the "Echo of the Day". So had the journalistic newcomer delivered his masterpiece and remained on course for success. Besides, he had occupied in the 1948/49, at the Hamburg University lectures in philosophy, literature and journalism. From 1947 to 1952 he worked as a reporter for the NDR Radio, joined in 1952 NDR television - from 1954 as chief reporter - and was there in 1958 Head of the foreign and domestic policy. Also for economic and health policy, he was temporarily in charge. From 1964 he worked for the NDR as a special correspondent and author series.

Much attention has been given his television documentary series "centers of power" and "pioneers and adventurers" trilogy and the "New York - Capital of the World", also shows such as "In Search of Peace and Security" and "European upper classes deserve" mention.
From 1983 to 1993 produced Max H. Rehbein, who since 1982 has worked as an independent film producer, for ZDF, the popular adventure series "action". Also in several books published was reflected his diverse journalistic use, so "reporter in the Far East" (1959), "pioneers and adventurers" (1970) and "travel around our world" (1973).

For his television work garnered Max H. Rehbein prices - like no other - a churning, which began with the German Television Award in 1959 and 1960, continued with the gold medal of the first film festivals World Exhibition of transport in Munich and two National Film awards the Mannheim Film Festival (1966) and got international flair with the 1st Price of the VI. Festival International du Film Industriel in Rouen.
Rehbein 1969 was the first in Berlin 10th of the price Festival du Film Industriel to take home, it was followed by the 1974 Golden Screen, 1978 the Adolf Grimme Award in Gold, 1979, the Golden Camera and 1980 the Golden Gong and the Golden Rose.
After so many recognitions of journalistic achievements can be said that Max H. Rehbein is one of the quite a few men who have proven themselves like soldiers not only as Ritterkreuzträger especially, but also after the war in many civilian areas great and so an example for younger generations have been her husband.

Last edited by lucky4444; 09-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.
lucky4444 is offline   Reply With Quote