Thread: NL CY YOUNG
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #162 (permalink)
JohnAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
People might disagree but you have to respect what someone does in previous years, not just hand them an award for one season and call it a day. Do it on a consistent basis and you will gain the respect that is deserved. Dickey and Cueto have not done that yet, Kershaw has earned his stripes which is why along with a few other things he is being mentioned in the running for Cy Young.
Here's the thing though...the baseball season is 6 months long. If you've proven that you can hang with the best for 6 months, I'd say that's pretty consistent.

If Luke Hochevar goes 18-10 with a 2.30 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP next year, do you immediately dismiss him because he's been so...average(?) since he came to Kansas City? I would hope not.

Please also have a look at Chris Carpenter's 2005 season. This guy was the living embodiment of mediocrity from the time he came up with Toronto in '97 until '02 (ERAs of 5.09, 4.37, 4.38, 6.26, 4.09 and 5.28). He sat out 2003 due to injury and came back in 2004 to do throw a 3.46...not exactly ace stuff. Then in 2005 -- seemingly out of nowhere -- he hurled over 240 innings with a 2.83 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP. This is probably one of the best recent examples of an ascension from mediocrity to an elite-level, Cy Young contender (spoiler alert: he won that year).

Pitchers have breakout years; some, later than others. To say that a player shouldn't be considered for the Cy Young in their breakout year...eh, that doesn't seem right to me.