View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
DtigersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Is this for real? Cabrera is MVP because Verlander said so?

I suppose Pujols should throw his weight behind Trout, and then what? The guy has won the damn thing more times than I care to count, so clearly he must know.

Let's be honest: what else is Justin supposed to say? "I threw nearly 240 innings of 2.62 ERA ball, so I, of course, am the MVP.

These guys get special media training that encourages them to downplay their own achievements and focus on their teammates. Of course Justin and Prince are gonna shower their possible Triple Crown winner with praise -- they've basically been trained to do so.

The ironic thing is that you can argue that Cabrera's 2011 campaign was better than his 2012 -- Verlander was just so ridiculous that no one remembers it. This will continue to be Justin's team and he'll keep Jimmy Leyland off the hot seat as long as he continues to carry the team on his back.
I'm not saying that Verlander won't get votes as he won it last year and has almost identical stats this year other than having less wins. I would love to see Verlander win it again, but it is Miggy's year to win it as he will probably be the first triple crown winner in 45 years, and it is more difficult to lead all 3 categories in 2012 than it was back then. Just speaking statistically when was the last time that a pitcher won back to back MVP awards? I'm not saying it can't happen, because I know JV is a special pitcher, but statistics tell us that an everyday player will most likely win the MVP and Cabrera is the everyday player that is most deserving of the award, just look at the poll in this thread.
DtigersFan is offline   Reply With Quote