View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #71 (permalink)
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
tons, days/weeks

but how much labor do most jobs involve

look at the crab guys on deadliest catch
some make tons of money in small time period although not always, and how much labor and sleep/family time is lost

many jobs can say that. If I am going to lose $2-$3k on a break for not sorting 300-400 sets, then not sure I would break, that is where most of the profits come and why there is profit outside of a rare lucky pull which in big qty does not matter as much... I mean sure a $300-$500+ card is nice, but when compared to $25k+ is a smaller amount then say $2-$3k of base card sorting
just my opinion
PLUS not sure I could move all the cases that way, unsorted that is, most, but not all, and definitely not on ebay, these guys are direct buyers
I think you're exactly right, just wanted to get your perspective.

At this point in the game, almost all of the profit is tied up in selling the sets. It's the Pareto principle at work, except instead of 80/20 it's more like 90/10 or 95/5. You will spend very little time making most of your money back (i.e. selling singles and big hits) compared to the amount of time required to sort those sets. But without the sorting, most of the profit disappears.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote