View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #80 (permalink)
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
This is where I see the problem lying with Ebay standards, and not necessarily with either the buyer or seller. I think the buyer should have a right to give DSR ratings that they deem appropriate, although the fact that no justification is needed for such a grade remains a concern.

Where the problem lies is that Ebay expects everyone to have extremely high DSRs, or else risk losing their selling rights. This neuters the sellers because they're forced in many cases to take a hit on shipping so as not to see their DSRs suffer, and it also negatively impacts the buyer who doesn't want their "4 out of 5" to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Regardless of feelings on how you should rank sellers regarding their shipping, I think most people would agree that the system is broken.
This just came to me.

Why in the heck are eBay's DSR ratings done on an absolute scale? Why can't they be done on a relative scale, rankings-style?

Why am I judged by some arbitrary rating scale? Why am I not judged directly with respect to all my fellow sellers? This way, even if I am dinged in a particular category by some rogue buyer, I could potentially still be a "Top 5% Seller" or whatever.

Rankings could be partitioned by category, so that if I happen to sell many different types of items (e.g. baseball cards, hair products, rare Asian lamps), I would have a potentially different ranking for each category, depending on my performance in each one.

I realize I'm not breaking any new ground here, but the current scaling is arbitrary at best, as evidenced by this thread.

/rambling
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote