View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moyni

Default Topps Five Star Project...Updated 12/17!! More Scans!!

I am not a prospector...I am not a flipper...I am a collector. I buy cards for one simple reason. I want to own them...forever.

2012 Topps Five Star is the perfect product for me. It is so outrageously expensive on a per card basis that I have absolutely zero interest in busting any of it. However, as a Josh Hamilton, HOFer Auto, and other Rangers cards collecter it is fantastic. Lots of great players and on-card autos!!Simply go buy the singles I want and let everyone else have the rest.

Inspired by a couple of other board members I decided to see how many PC cards I could get for the cost of a box...around $400. My rules were that would include the shipping cost (if any) in the total and try to get 14 cards (twice as many as in a normal box). And, other than Hamilton I couldn't buy a player more than once.

Although I could buy expensive patch cards, etc, it would eat into my budget so those were most likely out.

I thought I would show my progress so far and solicit opinions as to what card(s) to go after next. Here is the haul. The cards are representative cards I have bought. All of mine are still on the way.

Rangers PC:

Mike Napoli Auto Relic /55 - $13

Josh Hamilton PC:

Jumbo Jersey /92 - $15

Active Player Auto /150 - $39

Active Player Auto Silver /25 - $49

Auto Relic /55 - $53

HOFer Auto PC:

Orlando Cepeda Retired Player Auto /208 - $16

Dennis Eckersley Retired Player Auto /208 - $16

Billy Williams Retired Player Auto /208 - $15

Fergie Jenkins Retired Player Auto /208 - $15

Ryne Sandberg Retired Player Auto /106 - $31

Carl Yasztremski Retired Player Auto /62 - $35

Paul Molitor Retired Player Auto Silver /25 - $25

Total spent to date (11/21): $322. I have $78 more to spend.

What do you think? Who else should I try to go after? Please let me know if you see any great deals out there!!

Thanks for the long read.

Last edited by Moyni; 12-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Moyni is offline   Reply With Quote