View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #89 (permalink)
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Not sure what you are asking, but if it's about AP prices, well it goes this way from what I can tell. We get paid buttkiss for our inserts so the company can make money and we artists can have a venue to sell our own art as PSC's. The AP's are official licensed and approved artwork unlike the crap most toss up as PSC's. The AP's are supplemental income. Which tells anyone paying attention that even the companies are telling us we are being hosed. It's a little like a trick a lot of indy comics pull with the whole back end or percentage of profit deals. But it's the deal that's out there and we are grown ups and if we don't like the deal we can drop out. My deal with UD is strictly about not being paid for work done. I refuse to do any more than 3 separate jobs for any single client unless all past payments are made. This keeps me from being strung along. I'd rather drop em than being led around until they think I've forgotten or given up.
And no I'm not fed up with the sketch card thing. I don't draw for collectors so whatever they do i don't really care. I draw what I like, if people like it good if not, good. makes no never mind. My only concern is this whole price thing is looking a whole lot like the comics speculators from the 90's.Keep in mind prices of anything can only be maintained for a short while before the bubble bursts. By artificially inflating prices, flippers and dealers will eventually kill the sketch card business. just a matter of time.
Coming from the sports card world, I'm less worried about the bubble in sketch cards than I was about sports cards. At the end of the day, with a sketch card you at least have a piece of art that will have some kind of intrinsic value plus whatever "prestige" value there is based on the artist and their career. Plus if you have a popular character as the subject, there will always be the fans of that character who will value it as well. But you're right that with each new release, the work of any given artists involved decreases somewhat in value due to the increased supply.

It's interesting to think about the increasing number of sketch cards versus other examples of from the collecting world because each one actually is unique. You can over-saturate the market, but if they keep bringing in new collectors that will help with that.