View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I'm super concerned that these cards will make an adequate motor sound when I clip them to my bicycle frame so that they flip when struck by the spokes.
First of all, there are plenty of cards made today that are just not high quality. There are still companies around that are using less than 20 pt stock and have problems with centering, clean cuts, etc... Cryptozoic is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I don't know if the cards did the show justice or the show is just so goddamn popular that anything with a Walking Dead license will sell.

To give you an example, I just bought a box of Indiana Jones Heritage. It was great that I got an autograph of some extra but as I read through the cards, I noticed that the card titles were really cheesy. Maybe that's the spirit of the movies -- I don't know. But a coworker passed out Terminator 2 cards from the 90s and we all got a laugh out of how terrible the cards were. You would think that the movie was made for children the way these cards were written.

Conversely, Archer is a very adult show and it has a very specific type of humor. Is Cryptozoic capable of hitting this? Will we see a "Just the Tip" insert set? Will they actually watch the series and capture the spirit of it like the Archer book did? Well, that's what I was hoping people who collect Cryptozoic's other sets could tell me about. Did they dumb down The Walking Dead in their cards? Did they miss the mark with Big Bang Theory? I can't tell that by reading the flurry of posts about trading card titles and rare chase cards.

Apparently, this forum is only good for a "lol" and "Crytpozoic can make 90 degree angled cards." Duly noted.
I have found that the base cards for all movie/tv sets are poorly done, in my opinion, and its the subset/chase cards that drive the value and collectability of the sets.

If the Archer base set is made up of cards that recap the episodes, I expect it to be pretty terrible. If they do something original for the card set, it will probably be good. Chances are they won't be good for anything besides flipping through your bicycle spokes.

Your example is my point. Cryptozoic is known for doing TV sets and being able to get the autos for the stars of the show, not just rando extras that nobody cares about. For Big Bang, they got all the main characters - Penny, Leonard, Sheldon, Raj, Howard. The set wouldn't have had so much steam if the auto collection was missing Sheldon and Penny. There are companies that are notorious for not being able to get the "big names" to do the autos. Upper Deck probably leads that pack in that area.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote