View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
rippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
The last two Conn Smythe trophies were won by American goalies. Takes more than one or two good games to win that award. Ryan Miller was nothing short of outstanding in the Olympics.
I agree that one or two games doesn't get you the Conn Smythe - to me that's the most prestigious award in hockey. Thomas has been dominant the past few years, but it's only been a few years. At his age, I don't think he'll have a long enough career to be considered a "great" goalie - more like a very good goalie who had a few dominant years. Quick could get there - he's young and he has an excellent team in front of him, but right now I wouldn't call him "great" either. He definitely has the potential - five years from now if he keeps up his current level of play he'd probably be my starting goaltender.

As far as Miller, you're right - the U.S. doesn't even get to the gold medal game without him, let alone take Canada into OT. But I based my choices on what players have done at the NHL level (otherwise Jim Craig would be my choice in goal), and Miller's play has been declining the past few years. Plus he's never been to a Stanley Cup final, which admittedly has a lot to do with the team in front of him. During his peak period (which appears to be over) he was no doubt one of the top goalies in the league, but he just never had the team to get him over the hump.

Just as a note, when I say the U.S. hasn't produced any "great" goalies, I'm talking about goalies in the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek/Fuhr class. You could say the same thing about a lot of countries.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote