View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #69 (permalink)
guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Do you feel Jim Rice was/is worthy? Then i would say to the voters that ultimately voted him in: they should've put him on their first ballot. Just because he's older doesn't mean he suddenly qualifies for something that, not a few years ago, they thought he didn't qualify for. It's not like he's been accumulating more HRs since he retired.

Do you feel Jim Rice was/is not worthy? Then i would say that the voters that ultimately voted him in disagree and the nonsensical ability for them to just keep voting for these lingering players allows the nonsense to continue. Nonsensically, even. I would also say to those voters, put him on your first ballot. Why wait? Are you that insecure that you have to wait several years before making a grown-up decision?

A player's worth for the Hall should not change over time. They're retired. The rules for induction don't change over time. Their stats don't change. What the hell are they waiting on?

Nonsense.

lobo_hacker, happy to contribute to a slight thread derailment while bored at work
I just think to be a first ballot Hall of Famer it is just an honor.

It means you were a slam dunk candidate and most writers thought you should be in. In other words no debate.

Not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

Then as time passes, some players stats, achievements, etc.... start to look better when comparing them to the players of their generation. So they get voted in later on. Like a Tony Perez.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote