View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #72 (permalink)
Imac7065

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-But why? *Why* aren't they first-ballot? Because the voters historically have maintained this odd honor? Have you even seen ballots cast by these numbskulls over the last few decades?

Just saying "not first ballot" means acrapsolutely nothing. What changes in the players stats/qualifications 5 years down the road? Nostalgia? Grey Hair? They wear diapers now so we feel sorry for them?

I just don't get it. I understand individual voters change, and am understanding of that being one possible reason for some late ballot players getting in. But that isn't the majority of what's happening here. The majority seem to have this odd notion int heir heads as well.

Similar stuff happens at work with guys that have been at the firm waaaaay too long. They'll say things like 'that's the way it's always been' or 'that department just works best that way'.

Nonsense!

lobo_hacker
Let me ask you something..

Is Michael Jordan the same level of HOFer as Spencer Haywood?

Is Babe Ruth the same level as Luis Aparicio?

Is Wayne Gretzky the same level as Cam Neely?

Is Dan Marino the same level as as an offensive linemen from the 1950's?

There are top tier, no doubt about it, can't argue against them type of HOFers... and then there are "all time greats" that are HOF worthy, but when you think of their sport.. you by no means think of them first.

That is the difference between a HOFer and a First Ballot HOFer in my view.