View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #98 (permalink)
MeteoriteGuy

2000 Skybox #88 Tony Gonzalez Ruby 39/50

2003 Skybox Limited Edition #5 Tony Gonzalez Jersey Gold Proof 08/10

2005 Leaf Certified Materials Fabric of the Game #FG-97 Tony Gonzalez/Jeremy Shockey 19/21

2011 Panini Timeless Treasures Changing Stripes #31 Tony Gonzalez 01/49. (What a cool ideal for an insert set.)

Tony Gonzalez Chiefs Shadow Buddy

While with the Chiefs, 47,500 Tony Gonzalez Shadow Buddies were distributed to children and senior citizens, with Gonzalez personally hand delivering over 21,000 of them, many of them at Kansas City's Children's Mercy Hospital, a top 3 children hospital in the world and its McDonald house. Most of the children that go there, have to undergo operations, it is truly a place of miracles at work. Because of this, the Gonzalez Shadow Buddy came in a hospital gown and without his shirt, has heart and chest 'stitches'. Two kids I know are alive today because of this hospital.

Despite the large number of these 'Buddies', I had only seen one of them for sale before. It was autographed and the one below is not, but the one I had seen previously did not come with a mask either, and I am not Gonzalez autograph deprived, so I was very happy to win this one off ebay recently. Interestingly, it has a 1995 copyright, the year the program started (but not with Gonzalez obviously). And while I try to stay away from Gonzalez odd-balls (kind of the opposite of my Steve Young collection) I had been wanting one for a while.

I could go on about the many things Gonzalez did while he was in Kansas City, but I would sound like a Gonzalez press agent, so I wont. Instead, I will just say thanks and give him the silent thumbs-up....

I do see online there is now a Gonzalez Falcons Shadow Buddy, and you can order this one from the foundation for $18.95 plus shipping, will have to add one of them sometime. (Shadowbuddies.org)

Good luck on Sunday Gonzalez. Thousands of us are rooting for you.

Last edited by MeteoriteGuy; 05-07-2013 at 11:46 PM.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote