View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #1694 (permalink)
TheHeel

I am not trying to get into an arguement...

Maybe the buyer did not know the actual cards worth? Just playing devil's advocate.

And no, I did not buy the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyweed View Post
Great customer service story this week:

I had a couple batches of consingments go live, and so I'm listening to music and entering prices, pretty much on auto-pilot. I usually check the market for each card, and if the card is unique on COMC I'll just list at high book to start with.

So I come to a 2009 Bowman AFLAC Kevin Gausman, BV = $10. It's the only one on the site, so I list at $10 and move on. A little while later (like seconds) I think to myself, "That's strange; I don't remember submitting any unautographed AFLAC cards." I go back to the item, and it's gone -- all except for the photo which shows it was actually a 2012 Bowman Draft AFLAC auto (BV = $60), which had been mislabeled. Some turkey snatched the mislabeled card within seconds of it going live.

I e-mailed Nathan about it, noting that I didn't hold COMC responsible and I intended to suck it up, but I requested that the leech not be allowed to do any more business with me. I've made lots of bad decisions in listing prices before, and it's never really bothered me too much. Somebody gets a good deal and maybe they come back and buy something else from me later. But for some reason this really burned me. I don't want to think of COMC as a place where predators are so ready to jump on obvious mistakes for their own profit.

Anyway, Steve from COMC called me up and we talked about it a little bit. Totally unprompted, he offered to reimburse me the difference between my sale price and the current market value. He even asked me what the market value was, not questioning my estimate, and crediting me within seconds.

It's obviously pretty impressive that COMC would step up and take responsibility that way, especially without me even making that request (although I did accept it gratefully). But I was even more impressed by his whole attitude about the business. There are all kinds of people on the site, he told me, including plenty of Good Samaritans. He described buyers who buy up mistaken listings and then turn them back over to COMC just to protect the seller. Dealing with the bad eggs is just part of the cost of doing business, and it's clear he didn't let it bother him too much, instead choosing to focus on all the good business being done on the site.

Thinking about it, this attitude comprises some of the attributes that I admire most in a successful business: the ability to recognize the presence of bad actors but not letting it warp one's view of the customer in general; pricing mistakes into the cost of business; and trying to do the right thing without even being asked.

Too often I'm sucked into taking a dispute personally. I really despised the idiot who I imagine cackled gleefully as he snaked my mislisted card, brushing the Cheeto crumbs off his ill-fitting tee shirt. This is one of the reasons I prefer COMC to eBay: I can't be drawn into dramatic showdowns that cost me my dignity more than anything else. But it's nice to know that there *are* business people who can handle these things in a professional way.

Kudos, COMC, for keeping your eye on what's important, and for being such professionals.