View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #153 (permalink)
webjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Chevy owns its own IP, Topps does not own the IP for Star Wars. Star Wars copyright holders license the IP for that specific product under certain conditions (hence, the approval process). You modifying the Nova doesn't interfere with a licensed property.

An autograph is not a licensed property, so there's no issue with that legally IMO.

The ladybugy is not a licensed property--same thing.

Now, if you were to draw Charlie Brown on the Star Wars card, that might be a problem.

So, that's why I was taking on that part of the scenario.

If we have any IP lawyers around here, maybe they can offer more detail. I've attended some training on the topic, but it was a very superficial review.
So, if I can paraphrase, what you are saying is that it isn't illegal as long as you aren't drawing a copyrighted image. . . right?

That's the same thing I am saying. . . altering a sketch card isn't illegal. . .

Now putting an image on the card you don't have rights to may be copyright infringement (different argument, but original works of art are generally not going to get you in trouble, it's when you get into making copies or prints that you get in trouble).