View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #170 (permalink)
baytowntex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Um, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being a jerk but I'm starting to think that you actually think this is legally criminal activity. I am doubtful you could produce any statute or section of U.S. law that prevents the owner of a piece of art from defacing it -- licensed by a card manufacturer or not. I'm aware of the Berne Convention and some copyright law but I fail to see how any of that could apply to this situation.

I do understand that misrepresentation during a sale could be a civil (not criminal) suit but I'm failing to find anything in the books calling this illegal. As long as the information of the card's history is pushed forward, I don't see anyway you could charge anybody involved with anything.

Could the manufacturer blacklist all those involved in the operation? Sure, why not? You choose who you do business with.

To reiterate, I am super against this but I'm not so keen on stripping away people's rights to do with their possession as they so choose. This is a freedom that this country is founded upon. Again, it is morally reprehensible but not a crime.

Please stop calling it a crime unless you can cite what criminal charges should be brought forth!
just look at what happen to Mastro for altering and misrepresentation, go to fbi.gov to read what they have to say about altering trading cards..and it is a crime

Bill Mastro and two partners indicted on fraud charges#@stemming from massive sports memorabilia scam, including altering famous Honus Wagner card#@ - NY Daily News
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote