View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #185 (permalink)
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
And to use your analogy, if I did the equivalent of this sketch in my job, I'd expect to get chewed out for it. Which I think is sort of what is going on here.
You would get chewed out by your boss. Topps didn't chew this guy out. They paid him his $1.50 and said "thanks," i.e., they are condoning this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Topps does have some blame, but so do the artists. If they didn't produce the sketches like this one to begin with, they would not get into the packs.

I don't understand why there can't be more than one point of failure that allowed this sketch to get packed out.
I agree and clearly the artist is accountable for creating the poor quality sketch, but Topps is accountable for its being in circulation.

When we have failures at work, we conduct a root cause analysis and there are follow-ups during continuous improvement reviews. During these meetings we identify points of failure and put the necessary processes into place to ensure the failure does not occur again. In this case, there is an approval process in place to ensure all sketch cards inserted into packs meet a certain standard. Either Topps is not following their internal procedures (letting sub-standard sketches get through) or we the collectors feel that their standards need to be re-evaluated. My guess is that it met their standards, and we believe their standards need to be re-evaluated. The only way that is going to happen is if we the collectors make it known that the continued insertion of such sketches will result in us not purchasing the product.

If the artists continue to be paid for this level of work, they will continue doing this level of work. This is reality. Artists are regular people and therefor share the same work ethic as regular people. Some people are unhappy with anything other than their best, but plenty of people are happy to do the minimum required to maintain employment - and they are constantly testing the boundary.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote