View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
sammyw

Bam I give you a hearty pat for doing what you did with your Dad. I know how difficult it was for you to do. Unfortuneately all of the sad and difficult stories in the world cannot make anyone stop smoking unless they want to. It is proven though that the more times one tries to stop the more successful that person will eventually be. So Cards if you do not do it now ( I hope you do ), try it again another time.
I smoked for 32 years starting at age 10 and smoked 3 packs a day. It has been 20 years this past January since I have smoked and I HATE the smell of it. I tried MANY times before I finally did it. Finally this one day I went for a cigarette and had to open a pack. I thought "what the hell are you doing" and I did not open the pack. Every time in the past I gave it up and I wanted a smoke I went nuts because I did not have any cigarettes which made me want it more. I would go buy some. This time I kept this one pack and a lighter with me ALL the time and when I wanted to smoke I would pick up the pack, smell it and think "you are one puff away from a pack" and then I would put the pack down.
It was not easy. I did not have even one alcoholic beverage for one year, I got up immediately after eating and did anything at all because the urge to smoke does indeed go away after about 20 minutes. I did not have coffee for about 3 or 4 months ( that was the toughest but it taught me to eat breakfast ) and anytime I wanted a smoke I would get up and do something and whenever I could I would go for a walk. I also would not let anyone smoke in my home...some people didn't like that but they adjusted.
I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck. I never thought I could do it. I believe anyone can now. Just don't be too hard on yorself.
sammyw is offline   Reply With Quote