View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
murrke03
Banned

As Obama noted, this was not the first time some members of the team had been to the White House. In August 2010, Obama played a star-studded pickup game with LeBron, Dwyane Wade, and Shane Battier, amongst others. On Monday, he joked that the game had a major effect on the Heat's title run:
A few of them were here a couple years ago for a pickup game on my birthday. Now, I'm not trying to take all the credit coach, but I think it's clear that going up against me prepared them to take on Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. It sharpened their skills, it gave them the competitive edge they needed, and I think part of the reason they came back today is they wanted another shot at the old guy.
The jokes kept coming. Shortly after, President Obama pointed to Wade's shoes and asked a question of the assembled press:
If any of you can pull this off, other than Dwyane, let me know.
Obama also poked fun at reserve sharpshooter Mike Miller, whose Finals-record seven three-pointers in Game 5 helped clinch the title:
Mike Miller could barely walk. Mike, you look better now. You looked broke down, last year. ... He looked like an old man.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote