View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #251 (permalink)
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by unamuzd1 View Post
I would also point out that the phrase "meaningful markings" is inherently value-laden and subjective, and that those who erased art would argue that what they received were not "meaningful markings." "Markings made by a human" is something of a broad definition of "art." So broad as to be functionally useless.
Call them whatever you want and the argument remains the same. Also, I was trying to select verbiage that would allow people to refer to some of the more absurdist forms of art as 'art.'

Quote:
A human being exposed to its natural environment can be expected to live decades. Cardboard exposed to the environment will decompose in about two months. There is nothing inherent in the construction of a card that would lead us to expect it to out-last the life of its creator.
Congratulations, you win the award for the most absurd and vapid thing I've read on blowoutcards.com.

Quote:
This is a common belief. It is also wrong in the vast majority of cases.

Do Prices Increase When an Artist Dies? Facts About Death and Art Values
Vast majority of cases? You link to one anecdote about someone asking if they should wait until an artist dies to cash out? Really? That was a rather complete survey of the entire art world including Pascal Cucaro all the way to Pascal Cucaro.

Quote:
At this point I will remind you that the artist's addition to the cards was what you referred to as "meaningful markings." What I've seen did not result in the erasure of the "licensed markings" that denote that the card is part of a larger corpus of work that has been reviewed and approved for inclusion in a licensed product. For your point above to have merit, the person who erased the sketch would have to be able to purchase not just blank card-stock, but blank cards from that set with the licensing information on them. Is that realistic?
Not at all because the card was not licensed by the manufacturer in this way. Whether they got out their own printing machine and put the licensed markings on there themselves or just left the old ones on the card they erased, the card is still not licensed by the manufacturer! It's still an illegitimate card in the eyes of the manufacturer and I'm sure any manufacturer would treat that as a destroyed product or card! The stupid thing is that we will forever have the technology to make those licensed markings but once the artist is dead, no one will be able to make art just as they have.

Quote:
I appreciate the intellectual exercise of attempting to establish a moral argument in this case; I just don't think your assumptions allow the case to be made all that well.

(And for the record, I think erasing art is incredibly sleazy, and misrepresenting altered art is practically the definition of "fraud." I just don't agree with your argument as structured. )
Thanks buddy, you're doing a bang up job here too. Your argument was so much better and sound than mine. Well done.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote