View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
They can win the division but they won't do anything in the playoffs, not this year, not without Kariya.
It would have been nice if you had formatted your response properly so that I didn't have to go back and cut and paste to respond to you. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy
Erat-Legwand-Dumont

Injury, injury, and can you say injury
Copout, copout, copout. Players get injured. BFD.

Quote:
Sullivan-Arnott-Radulov
I love this line, not sure Arnott is the best center for those jackrabbits, I would swap Arnott down to line three and bring Bonk up to line 2.
Gelinas-Bonk-Ortmeyer
Nice grind line, Bonk is an underrated scorer. Its also cool to call a line the Bonk's adventure line.
Hordichuk-Nichol-Tootoo
More pi$$ and vinegar, but every team needs it.

Zidlicky-Hamhuis
Good unit, neither will be in the top pair at the end of the year
Zidlicky clearly will.

Quote:
Suter-deVries
But Ryan Suter will, De Vries is a nice d-man too
Suter could very well develop into a 1st pairing guy this year. He's not going to unseat Zidlicky just yet though.

Quote:
Weber-Klein
Future Scott Stevens type in Weber, will pair nice with Suter in the #1 unit

Mason
Can he really be a number one?
I think he already showed that he can.

Quote:
Rinne/Ellis
Because I don't believe in either of these guys.
Rinne's young, loaded with talent, and has done well in his transition to the NA game. Ellis is a more than capable backup.

Quote:
While defense wins championship, you still need to score, and if that top line falters, I don't know if there is enough to carry the team without it.
Heh, the same can be said of the Red Wings, but in the Preds' case, there actually are 2nd line forwards who score.

Basically, your argument just doesn't fit this situation under the circumstances.

Quote:

Compare that with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Samuelsson
Second best passer in Datsyuk with a cold blooded scorer in Zetterberg
Yep. And the only two legitimate scoring-line forwards on the entire team are paired up on one line with a loser. Or, you can split them up and have them play with two losers each. Your choice.

Quote:
Holmstrom-Hudler-Cleary
Holmstrom=Ryan Smyth,
Wow. You couldn't possibly be any more wrong. Holmstrom is not physical. Holmstrom cannot skate. Holmstrom does not play defense.

Holmstrom is a guy the Wings prop up in front of the net on the PP because he scores garbage goals (and garbage goals count the same as pretty ones, so nobody's taking anything away from him for that). That's **ALL** he's good for. Go to any Wings forum where there are actual Wings fans who know hockey, and you will hear nothing but complaints about this guy whenever he plays a shift at ES.

Quote:

We have been waiting for Jiri Hudler to duplicate his European stats, this could be the year,
...which is what Wings fans have been saying for years...

Do you want to rest your Stanley Cup hopes on a "could be"?

Quote:

and Dan Cleary was good enough to be a top ten draft pick
So was Pavel Brendl. You want him on the 2nd line of your contending team?

Quote:

and is still a developing power forward.
He's 30 years old. He's not developing. He is what he is. He had a career year last year, and he will not replicate it.

He's Boyd Devereaux 2.0

Quote:

Maltby-Draper-Drake
Not much more than a grind line here, but Kris Draper can score
No he can't. He had a 40pt career year two years ago, and has dropped off since. The entire line is in a steep decline, and last year Maltby's game fell off as badly as anyone's in the NHL. He's completely useless.

Quote:

Ellis-Filppula-Grigorenko
Valterri Filpulla is an offensive machine in the making,
No he isn't. He was drafted to be a 3rd liner, and that's what he is. He's never scored more than 20g at any level, and he's not capable of anything more than that.

Quote:

but he doesn't have much help on his wings.
Grigorenko is a better player than Filppula is.

Quote:
Don't rule out a trade, I hear Zherdev can be had for Jimmy Howard.
I doubt that.

Quote:
Lidstrom-Rafalski
Best defenseman in the Western Conference, meet the best defenseman in the Eastern Conference
Rafalski? Best defenseman in the Eastern Conference?

Defensively, he was average at best. Offensively, he was in the top 10 in defenseman scoring in the East. He's a good defenseman, but not even the blindest Wings homer has called him the best defenseman in the East.

Quote:

Ference-Kronwall
Its unfair for a team to have a second pair this good. A guy they talked about as the next Scott Stevens in Ference (unlikely at this point) paired with the next Lidstrom (also not likely, but pretty close)
Ference is nothing special. And Kronwall has been just awful. For you to compare him to Lidstrom...is this Andrew13 I am talking to?

They don't even play the same style. It's like saying that Robyn Regehr is the next Paul Coffey.

Quote:
Lilja-Chelios
Chelios is 146 years old or something, but he can still play, I don't know much about Lilja, and since I follow the Euro-leagues, that should tell you what you need to know. In all fairness, I didn't think much of Henrik Lundqvist either, so I've been wrong.
Lilja has been better than Kronwall so far. He's been in the NHL for six years now. He played for Florida before he came to Detroit, if that helps. Stay-at-home defenseman who plays without any physicality whatsoever.

Chelios is a solid #6 at this point in his career (and my current favorite NHLer). I hope he plays another 10 years.

Quote:
Hasek
One of the best when healthy.
Nogood
This proves to me that you are still a novice when it comes to hockey analysis.
Wow.

I spent three years scouting the OHL, then a year in the Wings organization before working as a scout for a major scouting publication (watch the Draft sometime...the publication I scouted/wrote for is constantly cited). After that, I left for college, where I received funding to conduct a statistical analysis of the NHL Draft, the likes of which had never been done before or since.

But yeah, I don't know anything about hockey analysis.

*rolls eyes*

Quote:
Chris Osgood was goaltender on two Stanley Cup winners
He was the starter on one Stanley Cup winner, and that was the only playoff season in which the team was able to overcome his constant errors and his tendency to lose focus late in games.

Quote:

Someone ate their Wheaties this morning. Pavel Datsyuk is a #1 centerman in the NHL who can score goals or pass, making him much more dangerous than Peter Forsberg, who preferrs to pass.
Peter Forsberg is the best two-way player of his generation. Datsyuk is a one-dimensional #1 center whose career high in goals is equal to that of Forsberg's career high. Basically, he's no more of a goal scorer than Peter Forsberg was, except Forsberg was a much better passer, was more physical (which isn't saying much...Crysby is more physical than Datsyuk), and ACTUALLY SHOWED UP IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Datsyuk is a good player in the regular season. When things matter, Datsyuk folds like a wet napkin. He had a decent playoff year last year, but prior to that, he had scored a total of 15 playoff points over the course of four playoff years.

Quote:

Henrik Zetterberg is entering his prime and is one of the most cold-blooded snipers out there.
Zetterberg isn't a sniper. He's a finesse player.

Jason Freaking Pominville scored more goals than Zetterberg did last year.

Quote:

Detroit's top two are better than any tandem in the NHL,
You mean other than Pronger and Neidermayer, Phaneuf and Regehr, Gonchar and Whitney.

Quote:
but if they are smart they will split Lidstrom and Rafalski up because Ference and Kronwall are both first pairing quality defenders.
Dude, seriously, either you are smoking crack, or you have Brad Ference confused with Andrew Ference.

Brad Ference has played FIVE NHL GAMES since 03-04. During the lockout, he wasn't able to catch on with a team in the better Euro leagues like the SEL, FNL or RHL. He wasn't even able to catch on with the second-tier leagues in Slovakia, Switzerland and the Czech Republic, or even the third-tier league in Germany. No, he played in France.

If he's a 1st pairing defenseman in the NHL, then I am a lock hall of famer.

And Kronwall is in no way 1st pairing-caliber. You've clearly based your opinion on the hype you read or some Beckett article and not on actually seeing him play. I had a buddy who was the absolute biggest Kronwall slapdick in the world, talked about him as being a "solid NHL defenseman" during his rookie year, despite that clearly not being the case. Even he has backed off of the predictions of greatness, because Kronwall has just been plain disappointing.

His offense isn't there yet, his defense is horrible, and he's too afraid to get injured to play with the physicality that got him drafted in the first place.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote