View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
OK, you caught me, I screwed up and was discussing the wrong Ference. My bad.
Wow, someone screws up and has the maturity to admit they were wrong? I am shocked. I know of a certain someone here who could learn a lesson from that. Kudos to you.

Quote:
I don't really put much stock in the Beckett articles,
Heh, well, good. I read their review of the 06-07 rookie class. Just awful. IIRC, it wasn't signed. The pathetic attempts at humor seemed like Al, but the analysis was bad, even for him.

Quote:

I know of Kronwall from the Euro-leagues.

I was actually a player back in the 90s, not much of one, and when I saw Kronwall play in the Euro leagues (on TV) I was impressed.
He was impressive in the Euro leagues. Which is why he was hyped, and that in turn caused the Wings slapdicks to verbally fellate him non-stop. But he hasn't been good in the NHL. He hasn't made that transition at all.

Don't get me wrong, I know full well that it can take defensemen longer to make the leap, but the things he screws up are not rookie mistakes. He's just not an NHL-caliber player, not a star anyway. He'd be a star back in Sweden, but he just doesn't have the game to do it in the NHL.

We've seen it before from guys like Pavel Rosa and Jiri Dopita. They (and Kronwall) can play in the NHL, but they aren't of the same stature that they were/are over across the pond.

Quote:
The reason Fipulla never scored a lot in the Euro-leagues is because the league is much more defensive. There is a lot more low class stuff that goes on because the players are discouraged from policing themselves. Did you see Ovechkin or Kovalchuk the first season they were here, it looked like they had gotten out of prison.
See, when I said the Wings drafted Filppula to be a 3rd liner, I didn't mean that the book on him was that he was 3rd line-caliber. I meant exactly what I said. They drafted him with the intention of developing him into a 3rd liner. That's the role he's suited for. He's not offensively gifted. He doesn't have the hands to do the things with the puck that he'd have to do to be a legitimate scoring line player. He's an interesting player, and as he develops and grows into his role in the NHL, he should become more and more useful. But he's not ever going to be a star or a big time scorer. He's a 3rd liner, and that's okay.

The player he reminds me of, honestly, is Steve Konowalchuk. Not quite as good defensively (yet, anyway), but similar in ability and similar role.

Quote:

I'm not questioning your credentials... well not much, I was prodding you a bit with the Wheaties comment and it clearly worked .
I'm used to it.

Quote:

... and you went after my boy Osgood, who was one of the most popular Islanders in his tragically brief tenure (thanks Mad Mike).
We're probably talking about two different Osgoods. His weakness has always been between the ears, and he just doesn't have the mental toughness it takes to be a starter in Detroit. I saw him cry (literally) too many times over what the media and fans said about him, and saw him blow playoff games too many times because he just couldn't maintain his focus to ever have any use for him as a player. Then when he faked that knee injury to avoid playing the Avs in 1999...I lost any respect I might have had for him. You just don't do that.

Unless you're Dominik Hasek. And then you still don't do it.

But then, when he was in St Louis and NYI, he wasn't under that same microscope and he didn't suck quite as hard or as often.

Quote:

... as for Eric Fehr, you can see the natural ability is there, as are the tools, I just wonder how long it will take him to develop. Power forwards take time, sometimes a lot of time like Cleary did.

Dan Cleary, 35 goals this year. Write it down.
Dan Cleary, 13 goals this year. Then playing for Phoenix in 08-09.

Quote:

... and since you are such a hockey wiz, why don't you join our fantasy league, you should be able to crush us mortals... but I doubt it.
I was in a keeper league once. Won it all the first two years, then left for lack of challenge. They split my team into two for year 3. Those two teams were the champion and runner up in year 3. League folded.

If it's a keeper league, I am in. If not, I wouldn't be able to stay interested.

Quote:

Cheers!!!
Fun battle, for sure.

And see, everyone? I am not a complete bastard. Pompous, sure. But KD and I showed each other some respect and got it in return.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote