View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Fair point, but I would counter that these products are not movie tie-ins (except maybe the Iron Man and Thor).
I more so meant that the demand is present and people can't seem to get enough of superhero movies at this moment in time. The market is saturated with product? You at least have to blame it on the success of prior products and the high demand for these movies that Hollywood can't put out fast enough. Now, if your complaint is that products are steadily declining in quality then I'm all ears. But to simply argue that they're making too many sets sounds like a specious argument to me.

It would be foolish to pass up this opportunity to cash in on licensing and merchandise ... A New Hope changed how licensing rights are viewed. If the next era of movies has nothing to do with superhero movies and goes back to Adam Sandler slapstick comedy or chickflicks, there aren't going to be card licensing opportunities.

Furthermore there's a popular thread in this section with all of us clamoring for more sets. Well, are we overwhelmed with sets or do we all want to be able to buy our favorite show/movie? Also I hear some people complaining the quality of sketches has declined and another complaint that booklet sketches are too regular in some sets. I don't understand ... the expansion of purchasing choices is a good thing.

Also, if you're saying this market is finite and there are multiple card companies competing for your dollar, it only makes sense for them to release as many sets as possible to eat up the lion's share of market penetration. You're a consumer, save your money and vote with your dollar. I buy only the franchise I like (Star Wars) and when I go elsewhere I do a lot of research on what it will be that I'm getting.

Quote:
As long as distributors buy all the product, the card companies won't care. But I have a feeling the big buyers from the distributors are starting to feel the pinch, based on some comments I've seen lately.
I don't know what the revenue and profit is for distributors so there's no point in even speculating on this. But with some product like BBT or TWD, I don't know how it would be possible not to sell out. I've always assumed distributors took risks -- is this not true? There should be smart and stupid purchases for distributors just like there is for the collectors that then in turn consume from the distributors. A distributor can no longer blindly buy every product from a manufacturer and proceed to make money hand over fist? I'm not exactly sympathetic.

Quote:
One major player has presold some of the key artists in the MGB release before the product has even dropped. That tells me he thinks they will go for even less than Bronze Age, which probably set the price for the presales.
Doesn't that hinge on the pricepoint? I mean, Topps wants to sell Galactic Files Star Wars printing plates at half a grand for a set of four instead of using them to move the product and inserting them randomly into packs. Doesn't mean they thought Galactic Files wouldn't sell ... instead I see that as an insanely high price that won't be reflected on the secondary market. If the MGB key artists were sold at high prices, it could just be the card companies trying to get revenue upfront instead of watching cards trade hands at inflated prices on the secondary market.

You could be on to something but the evidence you've presented does not thoroughly convince me.

Your overall theme in this thread is accurate but I perceive it to be more of a shift from "heyday of sketches" to a more regular market where supply and demand are closer in balance and products/sketches are having to compete against each other to win the dollars of the collector. As said early, this is good news for buyers and simply capitalism for everyone else.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote