View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #390 (permalink)
danmecum51

Quote:
Originally Posted by peafour View Post
When I was a kid my dad made me go to church, and I was always bored out of my mind. There was a Sunday night mass we would go to during the summer when my dad golfed in the morning, and they had full copies of the Bible in the pews, not just the prayer books and hymnals. So I would sit and read the Bible, because he wouldn't let me bring my other books in. We were by no means religious, I think he just thought I'd pick up stuff by osmosis. Devoid of context, or outside interpretation, there's a ton of sick stuff in the Bible: rules for raping women, waging war on rival tribes, how to acquire and keep slaves, etc. Stuff that I never really understood why it was there, but whatever. I would always go to Revelations, because it contained the most vivid imagery. My favorite verse was Rev. 12:1-5, because it was about a DRAGON EATING A BABY. For real, check it out. This was also in the early 90's when people started doing stuff like writing Bible verses in their autos, which I also thought was different and cool. I decided then, that if I ever get famous, that's my go to inscription. Or the one where Noah's daughters are checking out his dong. Either/or.
Ha ha that's awesome. Did you see the episode of its always sunny in Philadelphia where Mac confronts the tranny and her new black husband. He throws out that the bibles says gay marriage is bad and that everything in the bible is true. Then the black guy says "Exodus 21:20-21, “If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

I remember in Sunday school a kid brought that up and in our "Sunday school bibles" those versus were missing. In a lot of bibles they have changed the verbiage of that specific verse. And also in exodus it talks about if a man gives his daughter to a slave owner she is now the slave owners property. He is free to do with her as he pleases. Very interesting because it says that it is a sin to have sex with another mans slave but doesn't say anything about your own. The bible is filled with all kinds of wonderful happy things