View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #394 (permalink)
rukastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
Ha ha that's awesome. Did you see the episode of its always sunny in Philadelphia where Mac confronts the tranny and her new black husband. He throws out that the bibles says gay marriage is bad and that everything in the bible is true. Then the black guy says "Exodus 21:20-21, “If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

I remember in Sunday school a kid brought that up and in our "Sunday school bibles" those versus were missing. In a lot of bibles they have changed the verbiage of that specific verse. And also in exodus it talks about if a man gives his daughter to a slave owner she is now the slave owners property. He is free to do with her as he pleases. Very interesting because it says that it is a sin to have sex with another mans slave but doesn't say anything about your own. The bible is filled with all kinds of wonderful happy things
You also have to consider that the bible was not written down until like 1000 years after Jesus died... it's a collection of thoughts and stories passed down over the centuries - many of writers over the centuries after wrote and interpreted whatever they wanted and took out anything they didn't like. Also these were people who lived in a time when slavery was cool and women's rights were light years away. Not saying the bible is entirely bad, but i think of many of the stories like fables, like Aesop's... stories with a moral or point. Ex. lying is bad, killing is bad, stealing is bad, cheating is bad, and these things to fornication and greed and gluttony and all the other sins all usually end up with bad consequences anyway.

Do I think it has some good overall purpose? Sure... but I think people should be able to interpret it how they want and not told how to interpret it. That is to say it's not perfect, as nothing is
rukastar is offline   Reply With Quote