View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Dacubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Harvey57,

I like having some obscure athletes in Sportkings too, but not as many as are in Series F, and not at $90/box.

My bigger point is that at that price, and with that many obscure athletes in the checklist, it greatly increases the odds that most boxes will be money-losers. And I am neither inclined to, or able to afford to, spend $90 on a box when I am almost certain to lose money on it.

I collect Sportkings for the base cards, which I think are the best-looking cards being produced in the hobby today. But given that after release I will be able to buy the complete Series F set for $40-50 on Ebay (although I would much rather be able to build the set myself through buying boxes), why should I spend $90 on a box that is only going to contain four base cards (i.e. 1/12th of the base set) and one "hit" that is more likely than not going to be worth far less than the price of the box?

That's the question I'm trying to get Dr. Price to answer...

My concern, in it's simplest form, is that I think the product is being financially structured to only be affordable to case-rippers (who I view as nothing more than profit-seeeking gamblers/middlemen), rather than the people like me who actually love and collect SportKings, and would like nothing more than to be able to build the base set by ripping a few reasonably priced boxes.
For the bolded part above....Isn't that any sports box that is available???

If you don't want to spend the money on the box and can get the base set cheaper, then do it...

Obviously, no company can cater to everybody, and with this being Series F, the current business model seems to be working...

I'd like nothing more than to buy boxes at $50 a pop, but realistically, its not feasible with the costs of getting atheletes to sign, as well as paying for top artists...let me guess, if any of these scenarios happened, you'd still be complaining....

1) Lower box price but even more obscure athletes that the walking encyclopedia does not know

2) Higher box price but more popular athletes

3) Same box price, same athletes, but crappy artist that have crummy portraits of the athletes

Just buy your base set off of ebay and be done with it, you're not wanting autographs or memorabilia anyway....

Last edited by Dacubs; 07-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote