View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
danmecum51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
This topic is out of left field, and is probably better suited for the "Off Topic" board, but since we all send out a ton of requests I thought I would throw this out.

I was visting my mom last night, and she told me a story that has me stunned. She works at the local University, and her office has a lot of student workers. They were sending out correspondense to certain donors, and the student workers were asked to help. She told me that several of those workers don't know how to address an envelope or where to put a stamp. She told me that one worker put an entire book on stamps on one envelope thinking that's what it took to mail one. I know we live in a digital age of text messages and emails, but some of these kids can't send a letter?

On a kind of similar note, my niece and I were doodling one day during a family get together. I wrote something in cursive and she couldn't read it. I found out the schools here don't even teach cursive writing anymore. It seems like snail mail is dying a slow death.
that makes me sick a little about the envelopes. I can understand the cursive writing. I am only 25, and my little brother is 21. I was taught cursive, and he wasnt. I also see why they arent teaching it anymore in some places. You cannot write official documents in cursive, and you are never asked to handwrite anything anymore. Print is at least readable, cursive (like my grandma writes) is extremely hard to read. Some of the kids in my classes write their assignments in cursive and I have trouble grading them. Those usually take me at least twice as long to correct. I always ask for printed assignments.