View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #261 (permalink)
rmaheras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Although I fully agree... I'm always skeptical about overall/average quality, because they only show a small percentage of the sketches and of course they pick the best. The artists that are submitting quick doodles aren't the ones showing off their completed cards online.
But that "boo-yay" reality has always been the case in card collecting. Not every sports pack has that key rookie card, or that auto by a superstar.

Being a Chicago Guy, I went nuts in 1985 trying to get all of the Bears players in the Topps NFL series (this was BEFORE anyone had any idea they would win the Super Bowl that season). And then, since I had so many cards in the set, I figured I may as well go all the way and complete it. I had duplicates of most cards, and some of the players I had seven or eight cards of each. But I only ended up with one Jerry Rice rookie card -- a card that eventually became the most valuable card in the set.

In the old days of card collecting, before eBay, before card shows, and before such things as hobby boxes, trying to get the key cards one needed simply needed to complete a base set could be maddening.

I really like the idea of sketch cards, auto cards, medallions, patches, printing plates, 3-D cards and other such special incentive cards. But the luck of the draw will probably always be a big factor in card collecting.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote