View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #267 (permalink)
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
But that "boo-yay" reality has always been the case in card collecting. Not every sports pack has that key rookie card, or that auto by a superstar.

Being a Chicago Guy, I went nuts in 1985 trying to get all of the Bears players in the Topps NFL series (this was BEFORE anyone had any idea they would win the Super Bowl that season). And then, since I had so many cards in the set, I figured I may as well go all the way and complete it. I had duplicates of most cards, and some of the players I had seven or eight cards of each. But I only ended up with one Jerry Rice rookie card -- a card that eventually became the most valuable card in the set.

In the old days of card collecting, before eBay, before card shows, and before such things as hobby boxes, trying to get the key cards one needed simply needed to complete a base set could be maddening.

I really like the idea of sketch cards, auto cards, medallions, patches, printing plates, 3-D cards and other such special incentive cards. But the luck of the draw will probably always be a big factor in card collecting.
Sorry I wasn't trying to rain on anybody's parade or insult any of the artists that are showing off their cards. The stuff being shown here is great. EVERY set has some GREAT sketch cards. But you know how the saying goes... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Or whatever... I've seen enough Topps breaks (Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones, Wacky Packages, MA Heritage) to know that the average quality will be below average and the if you hit 2 GREAT sketches in a case you will be very lucky. I'll say it again and again... I HOPE I'M WRONG. I'd love to be wrong, I really would. But I'll save eating my words until I see a dozen case breaks or so. Until then, I'll be maintain my skepticism.

Preslae for an 8-box case is $485 on Blowout. I could take the chance on a case or I could buy 4-6 high quality singles/APs and a mini-master set on eBay. Hmmmmm.... Alvin convince me that I'd be fool to pass on the case. And please, post some of those duds that are going to be packed out. Own it. At least I can respect that.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote