View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #284 (permalink)
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
I was asked to add one more puzzle piece to the 3-card puzzle I posted here the other day, so I drew it last night, and it was approved to share this morning -- along with some other cards.
I'm pretty impressed you can just add a piece after the fact and make it look seamless.... As if it was there from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Say what you will but i'm not going to lie to you to get you to buy more. Many collectors are driven by how much monetary value they place on a sketch, which as a fan, I do not. It's always exciting to pull a masterpiece, but it shouldn't be an expectation.

To me, as long as I can tell that an artist put some care into a sketch than I can appreciate it, even if it's not a style I like. At worst, I can trade them to someone for something I'd rather have.

Keep in mind that most fans buying cards are not as discriminating, and get excited just pulling a sketch card, even if it's not a Gary Kezele or Sean Pence or even a full color card.

That said, i've seen some real duds, too, and can understand some of the gripes against certain cards, and we're doing what we can to avoid that this time around. I dont like seeing artists do 2 second doodles any more than you do.
There are plenty of low value cards that I cherish in my collection. Several of the artists I really enjoy regularly sell for under $20 on eBay. I love it. Its awesome that I can get cards I really like for such a bargain. What I'm complaining about is not only the inclusion of absolute duds but even more so the fact that they seem to make up 25-50% of the sketches in many of the products, while the mini-masterpieces make up only 5-10% and fall less than 1/case. The bell curve distribution is way off.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote