View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
Tylerjo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
My email communication with the author of the story.

To: David Taplin <jack1757dave@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:29 AM
Subject: RE: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

How unfortunate that people have to be so negative. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't feel comfortable discussing Mr. Barrett without his consent.

Jan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 10/21/2013 7:38 PM
To: Biles, Jan
Subject: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

A link to your story was posted on a large sports card forum. It almost immediately drew negative responses because Mr. Barrett has 28,000 cards. In terms of most collectors this is pretty low. People thought it was a ridiculous excuse for a story. Link to the forum thread is below my name.

I looked pretty close at the picture and I have a suspicion that Mr. Barrett may be facing some challenges that the majority of us can't even imagine. If my suspicions are correct then I am very sure that the members of this forum would rally together and be more than happy to send Mr. Barrett some very nice cards (especially the initial detractors).

If there is more to this story that you can tell us, I would appreciate that.

Dave Taplin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positivity View Post
As a card shop owner in Topeka, I can honestly saw that I've never seen him. It does appear that he's a resident in a group home. I'm going to give the author of the story a call and see if there's any way I can help him with his collection like boxes, sleeves, top loaders, etc.

All that matters is that he enjoys collecting. The quantity or quality of his collection doesn't matter to anyone but him, and I absolutely respect that.
I got in touch with the author of the article and she said she forwarded my email to the contact person for Mr. Barrett and that they should be getting in touch with me in the next few days. I plan on sending this guy some cards from his favorite team and also some base cards to expand his collection.