View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
hookedonhits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCollector View Post
Aside from the Crosby and Brodeur, I would have to agree that this was a pretty rough case. Like you, I look at the value for price paid, and at $1440 per case you are talking 48 cards which means you paid $30 per card. Maybe I am wrong, but I only see 3, and maybe barely a 4th card that would bring in $30 or more. You're looking at it from a return on investment basis which is just gambling, no different then buying scratch tickets. So, when looked at it in this manner, 99 times out of 100 you are going to be unhappy. It's just the odds, very rarely do you buy a box or case and break even or come out ahead.

That being said, sorry for the bad luck, and if you decide to sell the Derek Stepan redemption, please shoot me a PM. Thanks
Thank you for your response and I appreciate your comments. Although I look at the average price per card, it is not necessarily for ROI. The reason is I don't sell the cards I buy, because I know going in you can't make your money back. Plus I genuinely like having them. But I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer. How can so many people afford to buy these high end cards, do most people sell them right away? And like you said, 4 cards at $30 leaves $1300 left and the 44 left are not worth $1300. I spent around $30K last year on hockey cards and I have a nice $15K collection (figuring they are worth about half what you pay.) You add to that all the ebay BS fees and it is not worth it. The only thing I can figure is that everyone is chasing the elusive $500 card and that makes up for your losses?
hookedonhits is offline   Reply With Quote