View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
thetheham

Default The Toews VS Crosby debate

You know, instead of having every thread derailed by Crysby fanbois....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
While I really like Toews, I think you're really over-rating him. I know this isn't an extension of the Crosby vs. Toews thread, but the truth of the matter is there is no one within any hockey circle that would agree with you. He might be one of the most complete players in the game and an excellent leader, but there are several players that most people would start their franchise with, and Toews wouldn't be on the top of that list.
O rly? Care to name them?

I mean, if the goal is to win Stanley Cups, which, last time I checked, it was, nobody has won more post lockouts since Toews. Elite, two way players with the talents of Jonathan Toews just don't pop up on a regular basis. Cryby? One Cup, sadly. Which puts him on par with Jonathan Quick instead of Toews.

As for hockey circles, that's all they are, circles. Give me a player who wants to win instead of somebody whose fanbase is obsessed with pointing out statistics to try and gain favor and sure enough, the winner will always win. Ovechkin has been a more dominant player then Crysby, imo, and has yet to drink from Lord Stanleys Cup. Ask him if he would give up some of those stats for a chance to skate around with the Cup over his head in, get this, a circle.

And considering your Champion Blackhawks didn't restart their dominance until Toews was on top of their list, the opinion is drastically flawed considering, again, two Cup wins compared to anybody else who is considered a franchise type of player who is, at the very least, one Cup short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
here's the big difference... being selected as the "best forward" is something that's subjective. it could have easily been Iginla, Crosby or another.
Subjective when he was given that honor by the Olympic committee? (shakes head).
Quote:
but noting who scored the game & gold medal winning goal is completely objective. there's no debate... Crosby made the play and scored the goal.
And theres also no debate that when Babcock knew Toews was a man among boys, Crysby ice time diminished rapidly towards the end of the tourney. I even think Toews had more TOI then Crysby in the OT, and was routinely double shifted. Like I said, Toews did the dirty work.
Quote:
Crosby finished with 7 points, 1 point behind Toews... but Crosby had 4 goals, 2 of them game winners, to Toews' 1 goal.
Toews also had the job of checking the other teams top scoring lines, was a +9, and the players on his line benefitted more playing with him (Nash and Iggy, respectfully) to the point that both Babcock and Holland made mention of it. Maybe Crysby had the weight of Canada on his shoulders, who knows, but what is fact is Toews didn't wilt under pressure and put Crysby in the position to score. Its what he does. Crysby wasn't even an Olympic all star. Toews was.
Quote:
and again, the league hasn't seen a healthy Crosby for years....
But when they do, he turtles under pressure. SEE- last years playoffs
Quote:
no one outside of Chicago would agree with him... and even most of them know better.
Yes, because Two Cups in four years as captain means less then what, exactly?
Quote:
if the Pens offered up Crosby for Toews, straight up, tomorrow, Chicago would wet themselves over it.
LOL Whut? A team that has no problem scoring goals would just trade their elite two way center for....more goal scoring?
Quote:
and, for the record, i think Toews is a great player... but he's no Crosby.
And thank god for that. Toews leads his team to Cups. Crysby just....cries.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
His response will invariably come back to the 2 Cups the Hawks have won (which is outstanding, the team did deserve them). And then type "Crysby" a lot. And yes, I also think Toews (as well as Kane and Keith) is an outstanding 2-way player and leader. But, c'mon.........

He might even throw in a personal attack on you. And probably me for typing this. No sense arguing with a homer on a message board!
Homer, how? By typing out fact? (smh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
To be honest, I can't think of one current NHL'er that a team wouldn't trade Crosby for straight-up. There just isn't anyone in the league that can do what he does, and as consistently as he does it. To be honest, I've never really liked him, as his whining and such really made it difficult for me to root for him. However, with age and experience, he's improved in those ways and really has proven himself (when healthy) to be worthy of the hype he received in his draft year.
What does, exactly, Sidney Crysby do? Win Cups? Toews has won one more and will captain his team to yet another one this year. I don't understand what it is that Crysby does outside of scoring. Patrick Kane scores, does that suddenly make him more valuable? Toews scores and keeps the other teams top players from scoring. What, specifically, does Sid do again?

Quote:
and that's why it's hard to take him seriously.
Its a message board. I don't take anybodys opinion on here seriously. You have a scroll wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves4Life View Post
May have been best forward but when I seen the game, The star of the team scored the game winning goal to beat USA.
I think it was Crysby who scored the "golden goal".

The "star" of the team just got off the ice and was catching his breath.

Good job, guys.

Last edited by thetheham; 01-10-2014 at 12:41 AM.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote