View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
Because you put a bunch of effort in trying to prove something that cannot be proven.
By replying to all the Crysby apologists with proven fact about Toews? It takes very little effort pointing that out, so again, square one. Two Cups next to one for two players who are captains of their respected teams and considered the cogs of their franchises. What part of that cannot be proven, again?
Quote:
But, the fact that you're trying to force this down people's throats just makes you seem like a big jerk.
Me? Last time I checked, I was merely pointing out fact and have been bombarded with trivial retorts like "Crysby scored the golden goal" instead of any relevant post that would change my mind. None. Its called a debate. Now, I understand that many a hockey fan have a Crysby poster hanging on their wall and rightly so considering the media's involvement to make him out to be some savior of the NHL, and the NHL's insistence on putting him on a plateau that he doesn't deserve to be on, but fact remains Toews has done more in his career on some of the biggest stages of play then Crysby has, which, imo, of course, makes him better.

What is more important, a scoring title? Or a Stanley Cup?
Quote:
But, you calling Crosby, "Crysby", is extremely immature of you.
So, its my fault Crysby lives up to his nickname for pointing it out? Last years playoffs were a testament to Crosby being rewarded the nickname Crysby. The Bruins mauled him, and all he did was whimper and Cry. The Bruins mauled Toews, and he set up the series changing goal. Blame Crysby and his actions instead of the person who agrees with the title he earned all by himself.
Quote:
The only thing that matters is your opinion and your opinion only. Not everyone is going to agree with that.
And that's fine, which is why I made this thread in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
Toews is a great player but some might even argue that he isn't even the best player on his own team
And who would that be?

Homerism is proclaiming some plug to be great. Am I saying Nick Leddy would be a first pairing defenseman on another team? No. I am saying Toews is the best player in the world simply because he has been the main force on a team that has won two Cups in four years and the odds on favorite to win it all again this year. He was the best forward on a stacked Olympic team in 2010 built around some of the best players in the world. Think about that. Toews was voted the best forward while on a team that included Crysby. Toews as an Olympic all star that year while Crysby wasn't even with scoring the "golden goal". Both won the gold, but Toews accomplished much, much more. That isn't homerism, sorry. That's just pointing out fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
I think a lot of Toews success can be atributed to playing on arguably the best line in hockey with Sharp and Hossa.
And I can say Sharps sudden out burst in scoring could be attributed to being on Toews wing. It works both ways and is a slight on Toews that he is a product of his line mates instead of being the key cog on the best line in the NHL. Somebody wins all those faceoffs, is a turnover machine, and checks the other teams top centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
I do agree also that Toews has those Cups not just because he's the best in the world, according to some posters, but because his team is probably the most balanced in the league.
So its Shero's fault for not putting pieces around the translucent best player in the world? Crysby, who many here like to proclaim the best, is at no fault? Pens fans will tell everybody who will listen how Sid and Geno are the two best players playing, but, objectively, having the two best players in the world would put the Pens at a huge advantage. Now, what is the issue? Is Shero incompetent at his position or addressing the needs of his team? Or is Crysby a little bit over rated as a winner and leader? Shero did bring in Iggy last year along with a bunch of other guys at the deadline, so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
In response to the OP, if I were starting a franchise today and had to pick a forward to build around (which I don't think I would; I like going from the net-out) I would take Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk (right now), Ovechkin, and Tavares before Toews. I would even put Getzlaf, and Giroux at about the same level. Granted, I'm a fan of Toews, but I just think there's too much emphasis in this argument about him being the main and sole reason for Chicago's recent success.
Have any of those players won more Cups then Toews? Or have they led their teams to more Cup wins then Toews? Obviously, they haven't. The debate ends basically right there if winning a Cup is the most important thing. Toews plays on the best team in the NHL, but again, he captains them. As for the Hawks success, did they win without him?

Again, good job guys.

Last edited by thetheham; 01-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote