View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
So the bottom line is, no one is going to convince you that Toews isn't the best player in the world.
That's why this thread was made. Convince me when actual fact states Toews is the much better player.

Quote:
Despite the fact that there isn't one person in really any connected hockey circle that will agree with you, you're still going to say what you will.
Now you are saying you speak for those in hockey circles? Who are these people and when did they point you as their messenger? I don't understand, what circles are you talking about? The Winners Circle? Toews, being the franchise player for your Champion Blackhawks has done what, exactly to not be considered the best player in the NHL by leading his team to two Cups in four years?

Quote:
That's fine. It's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. You're being very glib with your argument by boiling down the quality of a player to his achievements in a team forum. You realize it's a large fallacy to say that Toews is better because he won more Cups than Crosby.
Wait, so now being the main catalyst for a team isn't noteworthy when it comes to proclaiming somebody other then Sid the best player in the NHL? Doesn't Sid have Geno, the translucent second best player in the NHL? Norris trophy finalist Letang? Chris Kunitz, who is a Patrick Sharpe type? Neal? So basically what you are saying is that Sid gets a pass even with as stacked a team as the Hawks? What is the next excuse?

Quote:

This argument works in golf and bowling, but that's about it. Championships are team events, and one player over a 100 game season (regular and play-offs) is not the sole difference.
Ok, let me get this straight; The Penguins who folded like silk panties last year with a more balanced team then the eventual champions are now, even when everybody in "hockey circles" were predicting them to win the Cup on account of their depth, are now suddenly unbalanced? The Penguins had just as much star power as the Hawks last year with the deadline moves, but now, when all is said and done, they just didn't match up?
Quote:
No one is arguing with you that Toews has more Cups than Crosby. What they're saying is your arrogance and close-mindedness is ultimately where your argument is failing. You're responding on your terms of argument and not a common ground that is generally accepted when comparing players.
There is always common ground on a message board. But, instead of just proclaiming somebody the best player, please, prove why he is the best player, of which, I have. Two Cups as captain. Once Sid can trump that, first, by leading his team to those Cups, which, Toews has done, then he might have some semblance to claiming that lofty spot.

Until then, tho, he is in Toews shadow. And heaven forbid if Toews guides the Hawks to another Cup this year. Sid would most definitely be an after thought. Food for thought.

Quote:
Here's some food for thought though; Crosby is the 2x recipient of the Ted Lindsay award, or league MVP as voted by players in the NHL. Toews has not won once. Thus, twice in his career, Crosby was voted, by his peers as the best player (not just forward) in the league. Toews never won the award. Therefore, player to player, I'm taking Crosby.
Toews has lead his team to two Stanley Cups, winning a Conn Smythe in the process, so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
yes he clearly isn't going to see things clearly and for sure won't sway anyone else's mind that knows hockey and has seen both players play plenty of times. Toews is great but heck a lot of people including myself would rather have Kane on a team over Toews.
Kane is a great player. A great offensive player. Toews brings much more to the table. You win games with players like Kane and Sid. But, you win Cups with players like Toews.

Quote:
He tries to state facts but the fact is Crosby absolutely is on a slightly higher level than anyone else in the NHL when he is healthy and playing.
Higher level how? By leading teams to Cups?
Quote:
But its what happens, you have a player easily on top of their league like him or Lebron James or Miguel Cabrera and there will be those that attempt to dispute their success or call them insulting nicknames. He's welcome to his opinion while we're all laughing on the inside
Well, Lebron has 2 NBA championships. Miggy is a solid comparison, but what does great statistics really mean compared to winning Stanley Cups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Toews is not even a Top 10 player. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Stanley Cups are really overrated anyway.
Yeah, that damn end goal to a complete season and the reason why the games are played....Ray Bourque crying while holding the Cup over his head confirms how over rated it is.
Quote:
Put him on Calgary/Buffalo and he never wins any.....
Put Sid on those teams, and neither does he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
He's in my Top 10. There are guys like Toews and Mike Richards who are more valuable than stats indicate, that said, Sidney Crosby is the best player in the world and AO is the best goal scorer in the world, Toews isn't in the same neighborhood.
True, he is, right now, in the pent house looking down at everybody else. Two Cups, remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Can we please stop calling him Crysby? I loathe the Penguins, but the Crysby thing is overblown.
Maybe Sid should grow up then?

Great job, guys.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote