View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcardinals3 View Post
Let's see who gets voted to be Team Canada's captain. My money is on Crosby.
I bet he does too. Doesn't make it right or the best option when Toews is also on the team. I understand having Sid as Captain has more to do with identity then actual talent, he is the media and the NHL hand picked poster child for the sport. But chances are Toews will again be the better player just like last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
Barry Melrose says Crosby is the best player in the world. I think he knows more then any of you, not being rude but its facts.
The same Barry Melrose who benched Steven Stamko's and was subsequently fired maybe a little bit over a month later? He knows how to perfectly rock a mullet, better then I ever could, I give him that. But hockey? Nah.
Quote:
Crosby doesn't get the game winning goal last Olympics then maybe Canada doesn't win Gold.
And if Toews doesn't take over Team Canada in the gold medal game, chances are Sid doesn't even get into position to score the "golden goal". See, theres a lot of benefactors at play beyond looking at the stat sheet, many of which Toews, as a player, excels at. Bergeron is an elite two way forward. Its funny that he becomes that player after playing on the same line as Toews.
Quote:
He is the best, and just like basketball people love to hate on Lebron. Its hard to accept for some of you, but you gotta deal with reality.
Trying to compare Lebron to Sid isn't fair to Sid. Lebron in his prime has won two titles, while Sid, in his prime, only has won one.Lebron has dominated the NBA while Sid has a couple awards to show for his carrer without flat out Lebron domination. Ovechkin would be a better comparison to Lebron, honestly, and OV isn't close to the player or winner Toews is.
Quote:
I agree Toews isn't the ebst player on the Blackhawks. I think Kane is better then Toews.
And that's a great opinion to have, but until I see Kane PK'ing a shift or be considered defensively respectful in no way do I consider him on par with Toews, or Keith for that matter. To Kanes credit, he has been better this year in his own zone, but still likes to cherry pick his spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
I'm starting to think this has to be a joke thread now. All the guy is bringing up is Toews 2 Stanley Cups to Crosby's 1 but the FACT is the best player in hockey doesn't necessarily have to ever win a Stanley Cup. Team achievements and personal achievements can be very different. Legends like Marcel Dionne, Peter Stastny, Adam Oates, etc. retired with never having their name printed on Lord Stanley
So personal achievements trump the reason why they actually play the game? I never heard a kid, while playing pond hockey, say they wanted to win the Art Ross trophy, I heard then say they want to win the Cup. Marcel Dionne was fantastic, but he will always be nothing but a fantastic player in my book instead of a winner. Ill take a winner ever day and twice on sunday before dinner over somebody who is fantastic.2 Cups change your opinion drastically and thank the lord the team I root for, your Champion Blackhawks, feel the exact same way and nothing short of a Cup is now considered a failure. Once it sinks in, that frame of mind is hard to shake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
Your only proof of Toews being the "best" player in the NHL over Crosby is that he has one more cup than Crosby. So, I guess that automatically makes him the best player? Makes sense...
No, he is the better player because he is a winner. Sid isn't. Toews plays every facet of the game at an extremely high level beyond a stat sheet. Crysby nation points at his offensive production and says that's enough proof. Theres the impass and a telling sign as to what somebody deems more valuable to a team.Sid scores more and gets more trophies. Toews gets more Cups and is a beast every inch of ice. Toews has proven when the chips are down he will most certainly rise to the occasion and has done it thru out his career. Sid melted down last year like a stick of butter in the microwave over Chara.....Chara. The same Chara Toews made look stupid with a pass between his own legs to a waiting Bickell to feast on and turn Tukka into Chokka.
Quote:
So, hypothetically, the best player in the world could play for the worst team in the NHL for 15 years and never win a cup. So, with your logic, since he has no cups, he sucks. Even though his talent proves he is the best in the world.
What talent? Offensive talent? Or the talent to lead a team and do whatever it takes to win a game? Sid has one, Toews has the other.
Quote:
Go troll somewhere else.
Well, its kind of my thread. I didn't tell you to click on it or reply to it. Who, exactly, is trolling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick2317 View Post
just stop feeding the troll this is all he wants ....if you look at his thread this is what he does posts and then when you don't agree with his BS it turns into this .....just leave them be maybe they'll go away
So wait, trying to debate is now considered, hot word, trolling because my opinion doesn't agree with everybody else? Having an open mind and seeing things as more important is now an internet cliché? Please, and I know its catchy and "cool" to use internet catch words but understand what, specifically a "troll" is is far more useful when you deem one as such considering that this is, realistically, a thread that I started. Its ok though. Its just a message board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
So I guess Henri Richard is the greatest of all time?
Well, considering we are talking two different time frames and that the Habs pretty much had a monopoly in signing young players, it could be, realistically said that the many Cup wins of those Canadian teams are some what tainted. I also, sadly, never saw Richard play, way before my time. But, talking right here in 2014, where the NHL has installed a salary cap restricting teams from paying for the best players and parity is at its highest its ever been, Toews is the best player in the NHL. Henri Richard really doesn't have anything to do with this conversation unless he puts on some skates, which isn't gonna happen, obviously. Sid VS Toews, now, that's the basis of debate.
Quote:
Your logic is flawed, you have no real argument and are simply looking to get a reaction.
A debate is the only reaction. If Sid is so great, how come theres only one Cup on his resume? If he is a "generational" talent, those types of talents, Gretzky,Mario, etc, have more then one Cup. Could he get another one? Maybe if Toews some how gets traded to Pittsburgh. but he has proven, while in his prime, no less, that he just cant put a team on his back and will them to the promise land. Toews did it three times already- twice with the Hawks and once for his country.

Debate? Yes?

Quote:
There should be no argument as to who the best player in the world is; his name is Phil Kessel, and he's in a league of his own.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Again, great job, guys.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote