View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #62 (permalink)
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Chicago couldn't get Crosby for Toews and Saad. Stop.
Chicago wouldn’t trade their franchise player and a good young player on his ELC contract for Sid. Seriously, and realistically, Sid’s cap hit makes such a trade absurd to even comprehend. Or are we still in this mystical fantasy land where things such as the cap hit doesn’t matter? Is this NHL2K, no salary cap mode we are talking about? Because in reality its not even an option, nor would Stan Bowman even consider trading away the best two way player in the game for an injury prone offensive star who has a history of being muted like a stereo speaker the second somebody applies a little pressure to his psyche (Chara). The same Chara who Toews embarrassed on more than one occasion during the Cup finals.
Quote:
Team need you say? OK, I'll play along. They wouldn't give up Malkin for anything less than Toews and that's simply swapping centers.
Why would the Hawks consider it? Malkin is another one of those “great players when healthy” types and the loss of games played while he is nursed back to health would make the Hawks as a team a bit more pedestrian instead of the best team in the NHL.
Quote:
Malkin carried Pittsburgh by himself when Crosby was hurt. Toews has never done that nor could he.
LOL whut? Did you watch the finals last year? The 2010 Olympics? Or the first Cup win where Toews won the Smythe? Or is this yet even more revisionist history for the Crosboi nation to try and pass off the same way Vince McMahon said Hogan never faced Andre before Wrestlemania 3?
Quote:
He doesn't score enough. You can go on about the Gold Medal all you want. Even throw in the two Cups if you'd like but Malkin has a Conn Smythe himself. You can even argue Toews is better defensively which he is however....
Score enough how? As in game winning goals or assisting on GWG’s? Please, go look up the stats and see just how much Toews scores and how much he impacts actually winning games instead of feasting on mediocre teams in his division and padding his stats in blow outs.When did scoring when it matters and stopping the opposing teams best players from scoring suddenly become less of a premium then padding stats against weak teams? El oh El, you Sid fans are hilarious sometimes when winning is the most important thing. If it wasn’t Ovie would be deemed a hockey god by now.
Quote:
He wouldn't have won the Selke if Datysuk didn't have concussion issues that year. You can argue otherwise until you're blue in the face. Considering they were in the same division last year you would have seen this even if you won't acknowledge it. Toews would not have won it. It's that simple.
So, in some make believe faux reality Dats wins awards but in reality Toews won it? I don’t get how “woulda, coulda, shoulda” suddenly becomes some sort of excuse, or how injuries, that happen all the time in contact sport, btw, are held against the actual players who accomplished certain pleateaus only when it matters to Sidney Crosby, or in this case Datsyuk. Save the spiel. I live in reality and what has exactly happened in the real world. This batch of excuses is just that, excuses. When Sid learns to take care of himself better and keep himself on the ice for an entire year and playoffs then maybe, just maybe, he can start to climb Mt. Toews and knock him off. Until then, it’s a long hard climb to trying to even come close to getting into a Cup final, of which Toews is 2 for 2 in winning in his professional career.
Quote:
Tampa wouldn't give up the best goal scorer in the league for him.
When did OV get traded to Tampa?
Quote:
Arguing over a need vs strength and why it would be practical isn't the argument or point I'm trying to make. Whether Chicago needs another goal scorer or not was not the point of my statement. Simply pointing out that if Toews is the player you feel he is then tell me which elite player in the league they could get for him in a one for one deal? I've just given you two that wouldn't get it done.
Sorry, I don’t play that type of game. I deal in fact, not fantasy. I don’t buy into any of the rhetoric certain hockey fans like to use to make their favorites seem better than they actually are. I don’t buy the whole, better team, better line mate jibberish, you work with what you have. Sid has Malkin, supposedly the second best player in the world and still, theres only one Cup between them. If Toews wasn’t better, then how come he has two Cups and a Smythe? A better team? Both teams tanked for high draft picks and both teams put decent talent around their star players. Injuries? Both teams have sustained injuries but only one didn’t use them as a crutch. Which one was that? The one who hung another banner from the rafters in the first game of the season.
Quote:
You can't name me one player in the NHL Pittsburgh would trade Crosby one for one.
Pittsburgh wouldn’t trade Crosby period. Why would they?
Quote:
If you want to kick it back to "well that's not a need" then be my guest. If Toews is the best thing on skates then there's no GM in the league who wouldn't trade whatever they had to get him.
A severe over payment? You would have to offer more than any GM worth his salt would give up to make Bowman not hang up the phone laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
if this is your argument, then it's an intellectually dishonest one. you're ignoring the fact that Crosby lost the better part of 4 seasons to injuries. including missing 20+ games while injured the year they lost in the finals to Detroit.
So what you are trying to say is the NHL needs to shut down right on the spot the second Sid gets hurt? When hasn’t a team suffered injuries? Or is Sid a special case or something? When the hockey writers write their award ballots should there be some sort of big block letters on the top “Crysby was injured X amount of games”? Would that make the Sid apologists feel better? What truly is dishonest is this façade that Sidney Crosby is entitled to a title he has proven so far in his career he hasn’t earned by no showing the playoffs or putting himself in harms way and watching from the press box. Nobody hasn’t said he wasn’t a great player, nor has anybody said he doesn’t score a lot of points and feast on secondary assists, he does. What has been plainly pointed out by me, is that he is a bit player on as stacked a team as your Champions but fails when the stress of the pressure gets too thick.
Toews never has. Never.
Quote:
now that he's healthy, let's see how it works out.
Fair enough, but history suggests sooner or later something will happen and then the cycle of the injury excuse will start to spin once again for Sidney Nation. Part of me thinks they cant wait for it, either, so that one ace is constantly up their sleeve.
Quote:
has Toews taken his team on a 15 game win streak?
Even better, a NHL record 24 game unbeaten streak.
Quote:
has he led a roster full of AHL'ers to the most wins so far this season?
Now you are trying too hard. Its his job as captain to rally the team he was placed the leader of. There is as much “AHL” talent on the Pens as there is on every other team, so again, save this fantasy conjecture when ijuries happen to every team and aren’t just a problem for the Pens. Blame Shero instead of propping up Sid.
Ill get to the other replys later. Good job guys.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote