View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #93 (permalink)
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
yes, he is indeed a special case. this debate isn't about whether or not the Pens are the best, most talented, most stacked team in the league... in which case an injury to one player shouldn't matter much. it's about Crosby being the best player.... and when your team's best player (who just happens to consistently lead the league in scoring) misses significant amounts of times with serious injuries, it's worth noting.

it's not some sort of far-fetched excuse... it's just the simple reality.
So basically what you are saying is that the NHL needs to shut down right on the spot every time Sid gets himself injured to save the integrity of Sid’s scoring abilities? Seriously? As far-fetched as such a preposterous idea that is, it just isn’t going to happen considering Sid isn’t above the NHL. Now while I have been called a homer to go along with many other immature names in my very own thread, I have to say that this comment truly takes the cake. Maybe the NHL should make a Sidney Crosby award that personally exemplifies the offensive brilliance of said player who seems to get injured on a much fequent basis then other players” perhaps? He would win it each and every year, just think.
LOL that the NHL should shut down…..

Quote:
come on now... "unbeaten" streak? the fact is they were beaten 3 times during those 24 games. it was a point streak, not a winning streak. the Pens, however, had an actual winning streak of 15 games... second most ever behind another Pens team.
Then why is it recorded in the NHL archives as an “unbeaten” streak? Is the NHL itself wrong?
Quote:
and then, of course, Crosby got his jaw shattered... things happen but no reason to ignore the obvious.
Injuries happen and are nothing but a plum excuse for fanbois. Its Sid and the Pens problem. Put him in a fat suit with an enclosed caged helmet or allow him to play just like every body else in the NHL.

Quote:
again, you're ignoring reality. i forget the actual number at this point but it must be around 250 man-games that the Pens have lost this season to injuries so far... most of any team in the league, probably by a bunch. at one point our top 4 or 5 defensemen were out at the same time... we've lost Dupuis, part of the highest scoring line in hockey... Malkin, Neal, Letang, etc.
now remember, this isn't some excuse for them not playing well... just the opposite. it points to Crosby's leadership and talent. they kept winning through all that.
Wait, but last year, when both Hossa and Sharp were out, Toews leadership abilities while playing on a line with a rookie (Saad), and a semi-plug (Frolik) is ignored? The Hawks did what last year? Kept on winning to the point that the ’13 Hawks are considered one of the greatest teams off all time all the way to a Cup with only one team, Detroit, proving to come up to their level and being a challenge in the playoffs? The Hawks also had more “man games” lost due to injury last year and still won the Cup. Injuries are an excuse, and a crutch for those who need to find some sort of moral victory in the reality of losing. I get it. It keeps the Sid fans pacified into the delusion “well what if” and it keeps them warm thinking up scenarios to themselves “if this didn’t happen we would surely have won the Cup”. See, that’s on the weak. I would much, much rather deal in reality and subject myself to plain old black and white without a self imposed shade of gray to justify a failure season without winning a Cup. Why, take Bruins fans. When the Hawks were celebrating on their home ice last summer, many were using Bergeons injuries as an excuse instead of propping the guy up for playing with cracked ribs and a punctured lung. The Hawks were a much better team, Bergeron wouldn’t have made much of a difference even if he was 100% healthy. That’s reality without bias or excuse. Fans need to come to grips that their teams and favorites are failures more times than not. Sure, it must be comforting that Sid fans can point to scoring titles and say job well done, but the fact remains he has been in the league 8 years and has failed in 7 of them, while Toews has been in the league 6 years and only failed four times. Who has better odds in winning, again?
Quote:

one more thing.... since when is "best olympic forward" such a coveted award? i've never seen or heard anyone point to it as proof of anything until you. yes, a committee decided to give Toews that award... good for him.
Wait, whut? Being considered the best at your position for your country is now considered folly? Sorry, but such an achievement would be shouted from roof tops if it was Sid winning it. Now, for all of this “golden goal” absurdity that seems to be brought up whenever Sid fans get upset, the relevance of the “golden goal” wasn’t impactful when, you know, the best forward award was being handed out. Makes you wonder just how important such things are, eh?
Quote:
but 2 words - Golden Goal.
I knew it was coming. Yes, that moment time stood still and Miller let in a pillow soft goal while Toews just got off the ice with the tougher assignment of checking Kane and Kesler. It happens. The fault was more on Miller for not icing the puck moreso then Sid dangled him out his jock. It was a soft goal. A goal made more effective by Iggy, who, again, played most of the tourney with Toews and whom Babcock said was the player, not Sid, who made everybody else better around him since he challenged himself for his country with all the tough assignments, like checking OV and Kane. Don’t think Toews determination didn’t rub off on Iggy, it did. It’s the main reason Toews won best forward, an exclusive award. Sid can score a soft goal that was more the fault of the goalie, Toews can get the bigger hardware every single time and this fan would be happy as pie.
Quote:
finally... the Pens just had a 3 game Canadian road trip. i don't know that i've ever seen so many fans holding signs and wearing jerseys for an opposing player. and of course, Crosby takes the time to go out and meet them and sign autographs. now to be fair, I haven't watched when the Blackhawks hit those cities but i'm skeptical that Toews gets the same welcome. but maybe he does.
Then watch a Hawks telecast. Chances are there will be more Toews jerseys in the crowd when/if the Hawks go to Pittsburgh then Sid jerseys. I mean…its like that everywhere else. The Hawks are only one of three teams averaging over capacity in the NHL. Pittsburgh isn’t one of them, but chances are if the Hawks come out the true colors will be shining thru in the crowds.

I will get back to the rest of my fans here later. Good job.

Last edited by thetheham; 01-21-2014 at 11:01 AM.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote