View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
remlaf01

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoecollector View Post
From the Horse's mouth on Twitter:

StevenLJudd So Beckett got a loaded box, big deal. I "packed" quite a few of them over the years. Get over it. It's part of the business. Geez.....

That my friends, in my opinion is a very serious admission to unfair trade practices. Mr. Judd is now a Beckett employee. Make of this what you will. Judd followed up with:

Just to be clear, Beckett or the folks who work there have nothing to do with the "loaded" boxes they receive. It's the PDT/marketing.....
.....people at the card companies that plot and scheme to jerrymander the box/boxes.

Obviously this means that Beckett knows that it happens yet ignores it and presents the boxes as being representative of the product. Do with it what you will, although I don't know how this can be taken any other way than the way that I do.
Well, I didn't really need that to convince me, but now it makes no doubt in my mind Beckett receives loaded boxes. I mean, it's a business, Topps and other major manufacturers want as much publicity as possible... except collectors notice the unethical (read: plain wrong) practices.

I don't think Beckett ever asked for loaded boxes. But the fact is they are clumsily attempting to deny receiving them... that's not right.

Of course, I don't expect large companies to admit their wrongdoings. We don't live in a fairy tale. That is exactly why Chris Olds point of :

Quote:
Furthermore, if you’d like to accuse Topps of sending loaded boxes more directly, you can contact Clay Luraschi at Topps directly cluraschi@topps.com.

I’m confident he will tell you what he’s told us — and countless others, no doubt — that they just pick the boxes from their allotment and have no idea what is inside them.
... just doesn't make sense. You think ANY Topps representative would admit sending loaded boxes to anyone ? Of course not. It's their job to deny it! Come on... it's not like they are gonna reply to a customer complaint ''yeah, now that you mention it... we forgot to tell the world about it but... we do send loaded boxes to Beckett. Sorry about that, please keep buying our products. ''

And just after that, Chris Olds adds:

Quote:
By the way, there are more than 800 1/1s in 2010 Topps Tribute…
Right. That has just as much value as his initial blog post's 29,793 1/1 baseball cards made in 2009. Beckett didn't get a random 1/1 in their ''publicity'' Tribute box... a T205 1/1 of Pujols!! The best baseball player currently active (and you can argue that, I don't mind... just check any top list of currently active baseball players on reputable sites).

Now... there are so much other examples of major pulls coming from Beckett demo boxes... it's ridiculous.

Ok, Chris Olds make a couple decent points here and there in the comments section, but I mean... are there any Beckett believers out there ?

The sports cards industry is a billion dollars industry. And I believe where there's money, there's wangling.
remlaf01 is offline   Reply With Quote