Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Auctions

Auctions Currently testing user created card auctions here at this time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Default Auctions Q&A

EDIT: Please feel free to post any question and I will try to answer them at least once a day.

EDIT: Posting auctions for this first testing period is now closed. We will open up auctions again on Monday to run from Monday to Sunday night (12/8).

While we test this section, only a few members will have auctions. We hope to launch this in limited fashion Dec 1st and have it forum wide 1/1/14.

Previous Q&A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambel View Post
Should we add an area where it states current high bid and bidder or edit our first post?

Also, just to clarify for bidders ... If I bid $10 and another person bids $15, the current high bid is $15 or $11?
The current high bid over the minimum would be the winning bid. Wouldn't want to confuse anyone as you couldn't keep the op constantly up to date.

In your example, their bid would be $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
I understand what you are saying. I think this idea, just like any other idea, has pros & cons.

These thoughts are just my opinion and I know I have the right to not participate if I dont like the set up.

The #1 problem I have with this is I dont feel its anyone elses business what cards I buy and what I pay for them. To have that info put out there for all to see on the auction thread makes me a little uncomftable.

If member A and member B dont like another and member A needs a superfractor for there rainbow that is on auction here then they better hope that member B does not have deep pockets.

And the second and biggest problem I have is the fact that alot of members on this site do not care for one another and I see alot of bidding being done out of spite just to screw someone over that you dont care for. Especially on 1/1 cards. That is the biggest downfall of being able to see who has the highest bid. In other words even if member B does not collect what is being sold in the auction and if the card was on Ebay they would not give it a second look. Basically member B has no intrest in the card to collect it or resell it, they are bidding only to screw someone they dont like over. Or perhaps member B is outbidding member A just to make sure member A never gets the card. Or maybe when member B gets the card in the mail they are gonna try and price gouge member A becuse they know member A really needed the card.

Now, I know alot of people will say that you could be outbid on Ebay as well so what is the diffrence?

The diffrence is you dont know who the other bidder on Ebay is.

With this set up you could screw someone you dont like on purpose and having the satisfaction of knowing you are doing it to them.

So heres a couple questions I have, hopefully someone can answer them.

#1-Is there any way it could be set up so people dont know who is bidding?

#2-Whats to stop members from having there forum friends on here bid the card up for them?
#1 - If you don't want anyone knowing what you are buying or selling in the auction, don't participate.

#2 - If you want the card, win the card. Is the seller at auction supposed to take a lower bid because the highest bidder doesn't like the second highest bidder?

Q1 - Yes, but not with the system we have in place now. I don't think we would implement a blind system, but who knows what this may grow in to.

Q2 - Answered above, but simply this is not eBay. You bid what you want to pay. If I bid $1 and you bid $100, you win the bid at $100. The forum is very good at policing itself and this kind of thing would be exposed very quickly - plus it has limited value in this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Now THAT, is an excellent question.
This isn't eBay where your bid only wins $1 over the next bid.

There are no bid retractions here. There are no proxy accounts.

Bid on your friend's card if you want to - then what? As soon as the original seller posts it again on eBay or in B/S/T there will be a certain callout thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Do you think that the members of the boards have the maturity to make this a success? The lowest common dominator here seem to suck the joy out of everything. How can you keep that from happening with Blowout Boards Auctions?
The forum runs one of the most (if not THE most) successful B/S/T sections anywhere. So why not an auction?

Will there be non-payers? Yep. Will there be shady sellers? Probably.

People who cannot use this section correctly will not be welcome to participate though - so we can weed them out much better than eBay.

My selling point to BO has been this all along: if it doesn't work, we can always kill it - so why not try it?

Quote:
What about dividing the Auction Section into Baseball, Basketball Etc.
Eventually we plan to do just that. Also to have subforums for cards ending each day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
So who is eligible to post an auction right now?
Everyone as it is just testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
let's see how long it takes before a small "fee" is asked to be paid on every auction.
No plans for that, but if the section grows to where they need to hire a mod or beef up the server or buy auction software that could change slightly. How or in what way I don't know. It isn't a trick to charge fees or anything - the selling point was merely giving the members something they requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msucollector4 View Post
Who all can post at this time?
Everyone (there may be join date and/or itrader restrictions eventually). Sorry about the rush job.

We are looking for up to 1 page of auctions to end this Sunday night as a test.

There WILL be some advertising as a note is going into the newsletter tonight.

Then they are going to evaluate on Monday/Tuesday.

-----------------------------

It's not perfect. Just an attempt to give the forum another option.

No one is saying you cannot just stick with eBay and the B/S/T section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
So these cards listed are just test runs? or are these legit auctions? I keep hearing testing, Meaning not real.
Legit. Testing does not mean "not real."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy View Post
I didn't see it, but can you set reserve prices?
You can with a minimum bid, but it might hurt more than help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braswell10 View Post
How long does it take for a moderator to approve your auction listing?
Once each morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbulldogs1010 View Post
Is memorabilia allowed to be auctioned too?
Not at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies347 View Post
I like the idea alot, do we have to submit our auction to a mod before posting it?
By posting, you are submitting to a mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwejhardyrox View Post
nope, i believe you just post it no questions asked!
Yes, but it won't appear right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
I really like this idea, we as collectors need an alternative that is JUST for sports cards, moderated by fellow card collectors, auctions only (sick of BINs), and possibly more PC cards being sold here.

I do have two questions that I do not believe were addressed in the Auction Rules thread:

1. Can the seller of an auction restrict shipping locations (i.e. U.S. only)?
I know some collectors (including myself) feel uncomfortable shipping in internationally due to shipping costs, tracking numbers, customs labels, and going to the post office.

2. Can the seller have the auction listed on ebay and Blowout at the same time?
If yes than that would create a lot of angst if a seller happens to sell it first on ebay and still have it listed here, with a potential buyer unaware that the card isnt available.
1 - yes (That one is actually in the rules.)
2 - no (That was supposed to be in the rules - added now.)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
I believe there needs to be a rule set in place that states all cards should be posted on white background as to not be misleading in the picture... Not everyone reads the fine print
I don't know if that is a necessary rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...-psa-10-a.html

Auction Rules (please read before participating)

Not picking on Houdini, but I'll use his auction as an example. FYI I did read thru the auction rules and included the link above ^^^

1. Who knows who is on your Blocked list? And what happens if a "blocked bidder" wins the item (by accident)? Will the seller disallow the bid and give it to the under-bidder?

2. On the returns... For this particular graded card (see link above), what happens if the PSA holder is cracked or damaged in transit? Or any card in general gets damaged in the shipping process? There has to be some sort of return option don't you think? What happens if there is retaliatory feedback? Does a BLOWOUT employee or verified member get preferential treatment in the manipulation of their feedback? I can see a 10 feedback person being unhappy with a given transaction, and even if they are justified getting blasted out of the water by an older/senior member?

Again... not an attack. Just looking for clarification in this new BLOWOUT process. :turkey:
I would recommend sending a polite pm to your ignore list if you feel they may bid on your auction. If they bid anyway, we will have to work that part out. If you do not have the restriction, it doesn't really matter. If someone is bidding on an auction of someone they have repeatedly clashed with, then I think the intent is clear. Not all wrinkles are ironed out yet - this is a work in progress.

Paypal would always have the last word. Still, I think most members (myself included) know they are responsible for getting the item to the buyer safely. I would certainly take a cracked case return and pay the return shipping.

iTrader will be used as it has been used for years in the B/S/T section. No reason it would change for auctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I thought the rules said one auction per week?
This is a testing phase. We are looking for 1 page of auctions to end on 12/1 in the late evening/night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
Is there any type of digital counter that can be attached to these for the countdown? Possibly to lock the thread after the win. Seems like that would help.
No, not at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt326 View Post
Can we have the End Day and Time added to the Title so it is easy to scan and see when things are ending?
Yes, we have been working through different options - including subforums by sport and ending day. For this test though, all auctions should be ending Sunday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
well I had 2 questions, I see one is basically answered about splitting up the sections, that would be huge. here is my other question, if already asked and answered, sorry, stopped reading after page 2 for now, lol.

what about selling lots? do we absolutely have to have scans of back also, especially if we can do lots of just a few cards, all the way to boxes of base? LOL
Lots - not for this testing phase, but yes eventually.

Someone asked about memorabilia too and I think that will be ok as long as it is PSA/DNA, Beckett, or MLB/NBA/NFL (etc) certified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouzza View Post
Can I start an auction? I'm from Australia
Yes, but we would need shipping with tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
Can you make it like 2-3 auction per week?
We are still looking for the right balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake128387 View Post
Can the sellers ''bump'' an auction?
No. They may edit the op with answered questions, but a seller may never post in their auction outside of the op.

-------------------------

The answers I give are probably 99% accurate, but Blowout has the final say. Basically they said I could test this and see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Just my 2 cents - I like the idea of 1 to 2 per person per week. Otherwise the more auctions get listed the faster old ones drop and you'll just get peoples friends posting $1 increments to "bump" auctions that are no where near ending price. If a card sells for $100 and has a bid of $25 on page 2 it isn't going to hurt to bid $26 to bump it up to the top. B/S/T is a joke because of all of the non essential posts bumping threads back to the top and at least with a limit in auctions it is less likely for a new auction to be on page 2 in an hour.
There are ways to keep all auctions on page 1 (maybe 2). Working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matvoo View Post
When is cash accepted because right now it isnt accpeted
Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprt80 View Post
Is it ok if scans are added as attachments/ thumbnails? I no longer use photobucket b/c it sucks and I can't paste pics from my hard drive.
You can add your scans in that way. I would recommend using "preview post" to grab the image link and using that to post the larger image straight into the auction. See the Hank Aaron listing for an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Couple questions....

Will brand new members or members with very few iTrader (say under 10) be allowed to post auctions? Will precautions be taken before allowing new members to post in an auction format? I am concerned for myself and other members that NARU'd members from eBay will bring their issues to this site.

Since Blowout is now basically hosting an auction house will they be liable for members being scammed in an auction? Say goods not delivered and/or not as described.

Lastly I certainly do hope the amount of auctions per member are kept limited. The Auction thread will become cluttered with tons of auctions the same as the B/S/T can become cluttered. Once an auction is buried a page back many will not see and/or look for it.
1 - Good question. BO is working on approved seller prerequisites. It will probably be a combination of join date/activity/itrader. It won't be too onerous though. As for bad sellers, I hope we can weed them out quickly.

2 - No. All payments will be protected by paypal though.

3 - We are already working on ways to keep the section organized and all auctions ending on a certain day will be kept at 1 page (perhaps 2 if we grow quickly). I would love to see a section where we have a page each of baseball, football, basketball, coins, comics, etc (action figures? gaming cards? Blowout auctions for wax?) ending each day.

Good sign: there are another 14 auctions in moderation that I didn't open yet. I am planning to add them to the next auction day - hopefully Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
Are we allowed to post our TTM autos for sale as well?

Also, can we auction off non card related items?
Not unless authenticated.

No, not at this time.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: From Boston but married southern bell so I'm stuck in Nashville

awesome idea. like ebay without the nonsense.
looking forward to it
feel free to PM me if selling
Mikegioseffi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Freaking fantastic!!
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Nice concept! I'm excited to see what will be posted and hope to maybe list a few things as well.
DizzyDSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very nice option and I am sure it will get lots of traffic from both buyers and sellers.

Andy Dufresne
TarjetasBéisbol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ya this would be incredible.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will definitely be moving several eBay items over here...have been waiting for something like this on here for years....

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

WOW this would absolutely FANTASTIC!!

Bucket: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cromartie3145/a/FSFT
cromartie3145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Last edited by Manmadeofsteel; 11-27-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Manmadeofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Sorry, I didn't intend to stop people who were helping test from posting.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Should we add an area where it states current high bid and bidder or edit our first post?

Also, just to clarify for bidders ... If I bid $10 and another person bids $15, the current high bid is $15 or $11?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambel View Post

The current high bid over the minimum would be the winning bid. Wouldn't want to confuse anyone as you couldn't keep the op constantly up to date.

In your example, their bid would be $15.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

So can anyone post an auction now or just certain mods ect?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm not sure if I fully understand this.

Whats the difference of asking a price in the B/S/T section and running this style of sale thread?

Don't people just look at eBay completed sale's anyways for selling/asking prices?

Running auctions I dont think will help sell a card on here.

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think it will help sell a ton of stuff on here.
Maybe it's just me but I love bidding at auctions

Great idea MODS
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:

Whats the difference of asking a price in the B/S/T section and running this style of sale thread?

Don't people just look at eBay completed sale's anyways for selling/asking prices?

Duly noted. You are more than welcome not to participate.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Duly noted. You are more than welcome not to participate.
Reserve bids will end up being what the seller wants for the card.

Alot of the auctions will be

Blah Blah Blah card.

Minimum Bid: $40

Nobody bids because it sells for $45 on eBay.

So I check out the guys recent post to see he has it for sale in the B/S/T section for $40 for the past week.

Were just going to see alot of the same threads in both locations.

I have faith in Blowout just not in our users :turkey:

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Do you think that the members of the boards have the maturity to make this a success? The lowest common dominator here seem to suck the joy out of everything. How can you keep that from happening with Blowout Boards Auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
While we test this section, only a few members will have auctions. We hope to launch this in limited fashion Dec 1st and have it forum wide 1/1/14.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

I agree with this post.

I have full faith in the owners and mods on here. However I have 0 faith in the members of this forum.

The members feedback section will explain why.

I guarantee within the first 20 auctions someone will not pay or at least not pay in the stated timeframe.

Then what happens?

On the surface this sems like a fanatastic idea and the mods and owners should be commended for trying to help there members sell items without the hassle of Ebay or Ebay fees.

Again, before my stalkers start bashing me. I think is is very nice of the people who own and run this site to try this.

The biggest concern I would have as a seller is this.

Why would I limit myself to only having my card seen and bid on by just the members of this forum.

If I list on Ebay I have the entire world as a potential customer.

I do hope this works out though as I know some people dont like using Ebay and this will be a good alternative for them.

And kudos to the mods for giving there time to try this.

I am very curious about two things.

#1-To see how this works out
#2-To see what member screws it up for everyone.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with this post.

I have full faith in the owners and mods on here. However I have 0 faith in the members of this forum.

The members feedback section will explain why.

I guarantee within the first 20 auctions someone will not pay or at least not pay in the stated timeframe.

Then what happens?

On the surface this sems like a fanatastic idea and the mods and owners should be commended for trying to help there members sell items without the hassle of Ebay or Ebay fees.

Again, before my stalkers start bashing me. I think is is very nice of the people who own and run this site to try this.

The biggest concern I would have as a seller is this.

Why would I limit myself to only having my card seen and bid on by just the members of this forum.

If I list on Ebay I have the entire world as a potential customer.

I do hope this works out though as I know some people dont like using Ebay and this will be a good alternative for them.

And kudos to the mods for giving there time to try this.

I am very curious about two things.

#1-To see how this works out
#2-To see what member screws it up for everyone.

i say this is better than ebay because of what you just stated.. i would prefer the thousands of members here versus millions on ebay that could screw me over .

plus there are already rules in place here and is better monitored . ebay guys can have multiple accts to mess with . here if it is hard for them to do that. most of members feedback section is also used for ebay users and not necessarily for BO members..

getting screwed is always a risk no matter where you do your business.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

I hope this takes a nice little shot at eBay. Starting to get annoyed with them.
SeattleProspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillovermyluck View Post
i say this is better than ebay because of what you just stated.. i would prefer the thousands of members here versus millions on ebay that could screw me over .

plus there are already rules in place here and is better monitored . ebay guys can have multiple accts to mess with . here if it is hard for them to do that. most of members feedback section is also used for ebay users and not necessarily for BO members..

getting screwed is always a risk no matter where you do your business.
I understand what you are saying. I think this idea, just like any other idea, has pros & cons.

These thoughts are just my opinion and I know I have the right to not participate if I dont like the set up.

The #1 problem I have with this is I dont feel its anyone elses business what cards I buy and what I pay for them. To have that info put out there for all to see on the auction thread makes me a little uncomftable.

If member A and member B dont like another and member A needs a superfractor for there rainbow that is on auction here then they better hope that member B does not have deep pockets.

And the second and biggest problem I have is the fact that alot of members on this site do not care for one another and I see alot of bidding being done out of spite just to screw someone over that you dont care for. Especially on 1/1 cards. That is the biggest downfall of being able to see who has the highest bid. In other words even if member B does not collect what is being sold in the auction and if the card was on Ebay they would not give it a second look. Basically member B has no intrest in the card to collect it or resell it, they are bidding only to screw someone they dont like over. Or perhaps member B is outbidding member A just to make sure member A never gets the card. Or maybe when member B gets the card in the mail they are gonna try and price gouge member A becuse they know member A really needed the card.

Now, I know alot of people will say that you could be outbid on Ebay as well so what is the diffrence?

With this set up you could screw someone you dont like on purpose and having the satisfaction of knowing you are doing it to them.

#2-Whats to stop members from having there forum friends on here bid the card up for them?

Last edited by cking; 11-27-2013 at 04:00 AM.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:

Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
It's a great question... except the part where you bid what you want to pay. This isn't eBay where your bid only wins $1 over the next bid.

There are no bid retractions here. There are no proxy accounts.

Bid on your friend's card if you want to - then what? As soon as the original seller posts it again on eBay or in B/S/T there will be a certain callout thread.

As for the same card in B/S/T or eBay at the same time, please read the rules.

I know people enjoy nitpicking on new ideas - and that's fine. Nothing is without wrinkles - especially in the beginning. It's not like anyone will care if you don't take advantage of the auction section. The B/S/T section will still be running as always and eBay isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:

#1 - If you don't want anyone knowing what you are buying or selling in the auction, don't participate.

#2 - If you want the card, win the card. Is the seller at auction supposed to take a lower bid because the highest bidder doesn't like the second highest bidder?

Q1 - Yes, but not with the system we have in place now. I don't think we would implement a blind system, but who knows what this may grow in to.

Q2 - Answered above, but simply this is not eBay. You bid what you want to pay. If I bid $1 and you bid $100, you win the bid at $100. The forum is very good at policing itself and this kind of thing would be exposed very quickly - plus it has limited value in this system.