Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

there have and always will be people trying to do multiple case breaks of different products and there have been similar posts describing the way it was done. there are not all of a sudden going to be lots more people flooding the market on eBay because of this.

each product is different, each way of selling is different, and each result depending on market factors will be different. seasoned case breakers adapt more quickly and have big advantages over newbies although Alex has caught on pretty quickly.

these threads are great for helping everyone.
wilsonsingles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
only thing is, he's going to put himself out of business very quickly doing this, because for 1 he's teaching people how to do it and advertising it to be done, so if you get 2 or 3 more people doing it right along with you each time, you crush your own profit, and each person who does it will lower the prices more, people do not care if your bryce harper auto sells for $1, they are still going to buy it....

I noticed people sell chrome rookie lots...... of 20 or more at a time same player, you might as well just throw the other 18 in the trash, because 2 singles of the cards sell for the same price.......

it's no use in even selling things like that, you just drive your own price down and don't make anything while doing it, and increase your own shipping costs as well

none of this stuff has to be held, all this stuff sells....
I have a lot to think about, that is for sure. You may be right, I may drive myself to the end by selling things at bottom market prices. But selling on hot streaks or when a player gets popular takes a lot of work as well. I follow football and basketball much closer than baseball, so it's not easy for me to do all the homework when it comes to knowing when to sell a player. The unfortunate thing (for me) is baseball cards sell so much better than football and basketball.

I don't hide my case breaking exploits, and I know that bugs some other case breakers. I would just say this: case breaking is unbelievable hard to make a profit. It is so easy to get in over your head and lose thousands. So what is the worst that happens when someone reads my posts? They think they can make a profit, and they buy a couple of cases, get destroyed on it, and then some collectors get some nice cards at cheap prices, and the case breaker gives up. That probably happens thousands of times per year. I doubt my influence is a drop in the bucket.

The main advantage of buying 10+ cases is the price breaks I get. There is no way I would get the price breaks I do if I only buy 2 cases at a time. But like you say, I might be able to make a much better percentage profit if I don't sell things en mass like I am doing now. That is an interesting idea, and I like it, so I may try that on another break. Open less, but take the time to do the research and sell with better strategy.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
this comment really makes me not understand this concept of business, if you get hosed on one break and make only a minimal amount on good breaks whats the point of that?
I can speak for myself only:

Even though this is a business for me, my first goal is NOT to make money right now. My first goal is to provide the best customer service I possibly can to good honest buyers. Same is true with the case breaks. I'm not going to price out every card with value in mind that will guarantee a profit on my break. That may be the correct business way to do things, but I don't care. I'm not simply in this to make money. I can make money doing other crap in my life, and I do make good money at my full time job. I'm in this card business because I love the hobby. I want to see if there is a way to turn this non-profitable side business into a profitable one. But I haven't focused too much on the profit yet because I'm more focused on trying to deliver the best customer service I can. If I can establish trust and reputation among buyers, that will make things that much easier for me should I ever figure out how to make this profitable. But to me, the more important thing is that I'm a decent seller, first and foremost. That is more important to me than money.

If I fail to make money at this side business, then I will stop. But at least I would know in my gut that I tried to be the best seller I can be, the type of seller that I would want to buy from myself.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

I'm going to post the link to your blog for you, so no one can b*tch at you for self-promotion.

Cardboard Addict | buying, opening and selling cardboard…

I googled your name and found it. Great job on all of this, and your blog is very well designed.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I think its funny thinking that one case-breaker shedding light on how he handles it will suddenly make tons of people suddenly start case-breaking.
A lot of people don't have the money to do it, and the time. Plain and simple. Alex spent $7,000 on those bowman cases. How many people have $7000 laying around to invest in this? And then the time to open 2,880 packs, sort through 28,800 cards, list the auctions, package the cards up and ship them out?
I know if I had the means, I would do it, but there is no way.
tehchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
I can speak for myself only:

Even though this is a business for me, my first goal is NOT to make money right now. My first goal is to provide the best customer service I possibly can to good honest buyers. Same is true with the case breaks. I'm not going to price out every card with value in mind that will guarantee a profit on my break. That may be the correct business way to do things, but I don't care. I'm not simply in this to make money. I can make money doing other crap in my life, and I do make good money at my full time job. I'm in this card business because I love the hobby. I want to see if there is a way to turn this non-profitable side business into a profitable one. But I haven't focused too much on the profit yet because I'm more focused on trying to deliver the best customer service I can. If I can establish trust and reputation among buyers, that will make things that much easier for me should I ever figure out how to make this profitable. But to me, the more important thing is that I'm a decent seller, first and foremost. That is more important to me than money.

If I fail to make money at this side business, then I will stop. But at least I would know in my gut that I tried to be the best seller I can be, the type of seller that I would want to buy from myself.

pretty cool man, I enjoy the hobby the same way.....understandable that everything can't go or sell perfect, seems like alot of fun, I guess I do the same thing just on a much smaller scale......
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehchamp View Post
I think its funny thinking that one case-breaker shedding light on how he handles it will suddenly make tons of people suddenly start case-breaking.
A lot of people don't have the money to do it, and the time. Plain and simple. Alex spent $7,000 on those bowman cases. How many people have $7000 laying around to invest in this? And then the time to open 2,880 packs, sort through 28,800 cards, list the auctions, package the cards up and ship them out?
I know if I had the means, I would do it, but there is no way.

nothing negative was meant by any of my comments, more of a debate for information, if it makes any difference I have the $7,000 laying around to spend on bowman cases and was inquiring to find out if I would like to try something similiar to this, I don't think I have the time to do that high of volume though, I'm too busy with my other work which has to come first. but it's a very interesting blog, just checking out the pro's & con's on everything as I think the blog was designed to inform. definately nothing negative at all, I respect this OP 100% and share the same interests.
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
nothing negative was meant by any of my comments, more of a debate for information, if it makes any difference I have the $7,000 laying around to spend on bowman cases and was inquiring to find out if I would like to try something similiar to this, I don't think I have the time to do that high of volume though, I'm too busy with my other work which has to come first. but it's a very interesting blog, just checking out the pro's & con's on everything as I think the blog was designed to inform. definately nothing negative at all, I respect this OP 100% and share the same interests.
Side note, you did a good job on your Bryce Harper sketch card. That came out really well IMO.

But man, Alex I guess doesn't have a lady in the house, or if he does, he better keep her. I know mine would take over the bank accounts if I was spending $7000 on cardboard lol.
tehchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehchamp View Post
Side note, you did a good job on your Bryce Harper sketch card. That came out really well IMO.

But man, Alex I guess doesn't have a lady in the house, or if he does, he better keep her. I know mine would take over the bank accounts if I was spending $7000 on cardboard lol.
thanks, appreciate you checking out the sketch!

yeah my lady is not too fond of the idea of me putting down 7k on cards, I guess that's one of the main things that keeps me from doing it, is having a family life/situation that kinda prevents it.

I have alot of fun just breaking smaller stuff & moving it though..... it's fun to be had on all levels
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #35 (permalink)

Dude, you are the Q who does sketch cards? I had no idea. Those cards are very nice man. I really almost bought one on eBay a while back, didn't recognize your name.

I do not have a wife nor kids, no debt except a mortgage which is well above water or whatever they call it. If I had someone to take care of, no way I could do what I am doing with cards. Now is the perfect time for me to try this. That's why I hope to figure out how to make it profitable soon. Or fail but have fun trying, and then go back to just being a collector again.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #36 (permalink)

Thanks for the post - was an interesting read. I like the discussion that has gone on about selling as well, as I'm fairly new to it all. I've pretty quickly learned that selling higher value items in auction style is a good way to lose money and become frustrated. Tried out my first BIN the other day and it worked much better. Seems like you just have to have patience with listing things.

I can't imagine all the work you put into sorting those cases though. That's a lot of time spent, and I don't think I'd have the patience for it haha. Putting together a single set is fun, but 26 of them (or however many it was)...no way :P.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #37 (permalink)

yeah that's me, thanks for checking them out, appreciate the compliment.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Qwasian, just wondering how you can keep your shipping cost so low on Ebay. Do you ship in PWEs, or rely on customers buying multiple items at a time?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
only thing is, he's going to put himself out of business very quickly doing this, because for 1 he's teaching people how to do it and advertising it to be done, so if you get 2 or 3 more people doing it right along with you each time, you crush your own profit, and each person who does it will lower the prices more, people do not care if your bryce harper auto sells for $1, they are still going to buy it....
Back in the day that was a large part of what this board was about. Nothing wrong with it and it should not affect his business in any negative way. Unfortunately many of the bigger breakers have left this board.

Last edited by pac213up; 06-07-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

sorry, double post.
boombaby1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

Nice breakdown, looks like a lot of work though
boombaby1987 is offline   Reply With Quote