Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron
Default 4 boxes of 2008 Topps Triple Threads

The following are scans from the sponsored break (link to video is over in the sponsored breaks thread)

I guess the best way to do this is to start with the highest numbered and work down ...

there were 2 /99 cards

Nick Markakis 74/99 (going into my PC)

and Joba Chamberlain 45/99

then there was 1 card /50

Dave Davidson 12/50

a nice triple relic /27...

Ryan Howard/Albert Pujols/Manny Ramirez 16/27

followed by one card /25

James Loney 7/25 (nice jersey with patch piece on all 3!!)

there was one card /18

Ryan Howard 17/18

next to last is a very nice, low numbered /9

Carl Yastrzemski 6/9

and last, but certainly not least comes the jewel of the boxes ...

are you sitting down?

numbered 18/18 .. I give you

Joe Dimaggio / Mickey Mantle bat/jersey card!!

As Borat would say ... Is very niiiiiice!

Thanks for looking ... comments?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to arodfan17

I think you did very well, with that number of boxes you definitely could have busted. Nice hits
arodfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

any thought as to what I should list the Dimaggio/Mantle card? I can't find any like it on eBay
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

2008 Topps Triple Threads Micky Mantle/Joe Dimaggio GU - eBay (item 130271729490 end time Dec-27-08 12:02:29 PST)

Probably $200

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, and this was along with the Black hockey; way to go! That booklet is nicer looking than any of the ones I got out of Triple Threads, and I opened two cases.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

sorry there is no f'in way that jersey came from the mick..I'm sorry but these card companies are getting away with rape, deceit, and being over all a$$ clowns....
unless it was worn by mantle in a wheel chair game in 1995 there's no fuggin' way..that's the same material and jersey they shove into a joba jersey card these days (WELL...FOR EXAMPLE...compare your joba card and Mantle card)...there is no g.d. accountability with these a**holes and someone needs to seriously call them out....there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY WHATSOEVER....they could be making Clark Perrywinkle in the topps mail room put women's panties on in the bathroom then cut them up and consider them event worn before sticking them in a Babe Ruth "relic" card..(yes I am a nerd and know that the thread counts and material used in the 50's and 60's are nowhere NEAR the same as today)..and no one would ever know...there is no one checking up on this...no one....and we are the butt of their jokes

Last edited by aronp24; 01-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.
aronp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would say they are similar, but the Joba is white/blue, where the Mantle is a yellowish/blue.

If that was true, and the jersey was not real, I would imagine that Topps would have a massive lawsuit on their hands for fraud, wouldn't they?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronp24 View Post
sorry there is no f'in way that jersey came from the mick..I'm sorry but these card companies are getting away with rape, deceit, and being over all a$$ clowns....
unless it was worn by mantle in a wheel chair game in 1995 there's no fuggin' way..that's the same material and jersey they shove into a joba jersey card these days (WELL...FOR EXAMPLE...compare your joba card and Mantle card)...there is no g.d. accountability with these a**holes and someone needs to seriously call them out....there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY WHATSOEVER....they could be making Clark Perrywinkle in the topps mail room put women's panties on in the bathroom then cut them up and consider them event worn before sticking them in a Babe Ruth "relic" card..(yes I am a nerd and know that the thread counts and material used in the 50's and 60's are nowhere NEAR the same as today)..and no one would ever know...there is no one checking up on this...no one....and we are the butt of their jokes
correction, I don't collect..I sell, so I wouldnt be the "butt of their jokes"....and you can't tell me you have never opened a Topps product before..

Photobucket:
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

also aron...why is it that all of your posts are childish? every post I see you make I shake my head at...they are very awkward..

Photobucket:
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_cardz View Post
also aron...why is it that all of your posts are childish? every post I see you make I shake my head at...they are very awkward..
says the man with the 'shocker' symbol as his avi

every circus needs its clown matty
I'm just makin' it easier to spot him....

btw my afformentioned post is in NO way childish imnho..it is a serious rant....very serious....there is NO accountability w/ these card companies....NONE

Last edited by aronp24; 01-07-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
correction, I don't collect..I sell, so I wouldnt be the "butt of their jokes"....and you can't tell me you have never opened a Topps product before..
i don't open any packs anymore...but I learned the hard way and opened up tons and tons of UD and Topps last year... 80-85k worth....

unfortunately I didn't know what this "hobby" had become since my exit in 1998ish....I learned the very very hard way....but NEVER again

once again...these companies need accountability for their practices....
and you ARE the butt of their jokes for selling instead of collecting...if, in fact, you are ripping and flipping to sell and not buying lots or sealed cases,etc and flipping them....
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

then why come on this site? you must be interested still after your "exit"

Photobucket:
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Aron....you are right, if you don't believe in the product, then don't buy it. It's like the stock market, if you believe in the market then buy, if you don't then stay away from it. But it's just the way you put things sometimes, remember this is black and white, we can't hear the tone in your voice, so it makes you look like a clown as you put it.

Last edited by thebear29; 01-07-2009 at 03:14 PM.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
After reading this... I can't help but ask haha .. but I've always wondered if anyone really knows the answer to this point that aronp24 has brought up!? Has anyone actually seen the process that these card manufacturers go through when making these cards?? How can we be assured that these so called 'relics' are what they say they are and not just a ploy to sell the product?

...I know his posts sound a bit weird but I get where he's coming from.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

I also see his point. I mean, none of us were there when the cards were made, so we all have a "blind" trust of the company in that we believe that the cards are from where they say they are from. I'm sure that asking the company where the swatches came from would all be answered the same way, and we would only be told what is printed on the back of the card.

So, unless someone has proof that the cards are not what they say they are - and thereby sues one of the card companies - we have to again trust that we are not being deceived. But it would be nice for a company to put out a video showing just how one of the jerseys are cut and made into a card(s).
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's called a "Wistle Blower"

If what you think is true... then an insider from Topps/UD/DLP will come forward and eventually say so.

Until then, we will have no case.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah not many people would risk their job and financial security to whistle blow on their company. If I worked for them and they did I'd probably do it. They'd probably get more money on the lawsuit then their actual pay
SkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I also see his point. I mean, none of us were there when the cards were made, so we all have a "blind" trust of the company in that we believe that the cards are from where they say they are from. I'm sure that asking the company where the swatches came from would all be answered the same way, and we would only be told what is printed on the back of the card.

So, unless someone has proof that the cards are not what they say they are - and thereby sues one of the card companies - we have to again trust that we are not being deceived. But it would be nice for a company to put out a video showing just how one of the jerseys are cut and made into a card(s).
I agree! Its kinda sad but aronp24 has a good point. Its all heresay until some disgruntled employee or the manufacturers themselves do a youtube or something showing the actual manufacturing process of these cards with memorabilia in them... but I will admit that it would tick me off to no end if I found out these jerseys/Mem pieces are from some worthless piece(s) they bought in bulk from your local SportsAuthority/Ross's/Champs or some other place.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

A key indicator in these type of jerseys, namely authentic Mantle Game Worn Jersey's etc. is the material of which the jerseys were made in that particular era. I have a Mantle piece from 08' Triple Threads that I at least know it came from the actual era as all Jersey pieces are "Wool" and very easy to identify by touch and the "grain' of the fabric, as well as being discolored. If the Jersey appears to be synthetic "poly base" I would question it's actual game worn status,and assume it was worn during an old-timers or similar event. And of course one can never be assured that the jersey in question was actually worn during an actual game, we can just take their reputation at best!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
then why come on this site? you must be interested still after your "exit"
still VERY interested in what other people pull....
I myself can't afford the gamble anymore....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcheese4U View Post
After reading this... I can't help but ask haha .. but I've always wondered if anyone really knows the answer to this point that aronp24 has brought up!? Has anyone actually seen the process that these card manufacturers go through when making these cards?? How can we be assured that these so called 'relics' are what they say they are and not just a ploy to sell the product?

...I know his posts sound a bit weird but I get where he's coming from.
not sure why my posts sound weird...I may put things bluntly..but I've been hosed too many times to sugar coat anything....

we honestly do NOT have a way to know for sure where this stuff comes from...

there are a few short videos of topps' "relic room" ....however it is nowhere NEAR big enough to fit all of the junk they are shoving into their thousands of products yearly...also it doesn't show the manufacturing process and you will NEVER find a true "pack out" .....

again, until proven otherwise, there is NO accountability....

I am an employee for a major network and I have been pondering writing an official letter (kinda like the U.N...you know, those worthless bastards who just shake their fingers and wear funny powder blue helmets while writing mean letters)...though it'll probably have no effect nor a true answer (as I'm sure their legal team has schmucks like me more than covered) .....

but it would be nice to get a group of people up that are firm in demanding accountability and proof....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
A key indicator in these type of jerseys, namely authentic Mantle Game Worn Jersey's etc. is the material of which the jerseys were made in that particular era. I have a Mantle piece from 08' Triple Threads that I at least know it came from the actual era as all Jersey pieces are "Wool" and very easy to identify by touch and the "grain' of the fabric, as well as being discolored. If the Jersey appears to be synthetic "poly base" I would question it's actual game worn status,and assume it was worn during an old-timers or similar event. And of course one can never be assured that the jersey in question was actually worn during an actual game, we can just take their reputation at best!
correct...however there were SOME worn in the late 60's that wear a lighter cotton material...like stated earlier, I am a "materials" nerd and have studied Military Uniforms and Baseball Uniforms for as long as I can remember and have an extensive collection of materials used from the early 1800's until present day....some of the cards I have pulled, as recently as this year's legendary cuts, have NO PHYSICAL WAY of being used in a game by the player pictured...I posted an example here earlier this year....it was a Red Schoendiest materials card (I believe...it may have been a player who was even older) that had an almost exact same piece of fabric/design as the Derek Jeter I pulled a few packs later in the same box....we are being 'fleeced'.....no pun intended...ok yes pun intended....see I can be amusing too
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
not sure why my posts sound weird...I may put things bluntly..but I've been hosed too many times to sugar coat anything....

we honestly do NOT have a way to know for sure where this stuff comes from...

there are a few short videos of topps' "relic room" ....however it is nowhere NEAR big enough to fit all of the junk they are shoving into their thousands of products yearly...also it doesn't show the manufacturing process and you will NEVER find a true "pack out" .....

again, until proven otherwise, there is NO accountability....

I am an employee for a major network and I have been pondering writing an official letter (kinda like the U.N...you know, those worthless bastards who just shake their fingers and wear funny powder blue helmets while writing mean letters)...though it'll probably have no effect nor a true answer (as I'm sure their legal team has schmucks like me more than covered) .....

but it would be nice to get a group of people up that are firm in demanding accountability and proof....
Don't worry about the posts.. I'm not hosing you + its not a bother to me, most times I thought they were quite hilarious-i just never bothered to reply

A 'relic room' so you say?... interesting! What's a "pack out"?

You brought up a good point in all this and maybe (thats a BIG-MAYBE too!) one day we'll get our answer though I'm not holding my breath! Until then write your letter UN-style and give us the 411 when its done!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

So much in our society relies on integrity and this is all the card manufacturers have when it comes to something like this....If you believe in what we are doing, then you will buy our product. It's not only the card industry that relies on this....Look at the pet food industry, you thought you were getting a product that was safe you your animal and it wasn't, the food industry, are you really getting what you think? We can question everything in our day-to-day lives and everything is not as advertised, but we can only rely on the faith in the companies that produce the products we buy. Now for cards, we all get bad breaks, and some of us get really bad breaks, but is this a reason to question what is in the product NO, you just got a lemon. For every 100 cars produced, there will be a lemon. So you are either a collector or not, quit questioning the hobby I have faith in...This board is for collectors, not those who question the hobby we are addicted to. If you want to come up with conspiracy theories go start your own board!!!
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote