Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HORRIBLE case of 08 SP Authentic

So I won the case for free in the NCAA promo (thanks again blowout) so at least it was free but wow was it bad. Sometimes I wonder how Upperdeck can put out such garbage. They reduce the By The letters to 1 per box this year and instead of putting in less quanity and better quality they do the oppisite and fill it with utility infielders and #5 starters it's unreal. Anyways Here are the misses.

Rookie autos:

Harvey Garcia

Jonathon Van Every

Ian Kennedy

Clayton Kershaw redemption

Johnny Cueto

Justin Masterson

Jonathin Albadajo

Kevin Hart

Nick Blackburn

Brandon boggs

Chin lu hu

Doug Mathis

Matt Joyce

Brandon Bass

John Carlson

Matt Tupman

Robinson Diaz

Daric Barton. To top it off NONE of them are patches and I dont know how UD can put a Doug Mathis RC Auto year for the last ten years, I'm preetty sure he has to be a veteran at some point in his career.

Anyways heres the fun part my By The Letters

Kelly Johnson

Tom Gorzalanny (Not even in the majors anymore)

Brandon Philips

Geoff Jenkins (another person wh was cut)

Jeremy Guthrie (sub 500 record)

Joe Blanton (#5 starter on the phils)

Scott Baker (#5 on the twins)

Noah Lowry ( I just know he sucks)

Davis Murohy (had a good year so ok)\

MY Super Duper Amazing Short Print Gold Auto Paul Laduca

Roy Holliday /15

Mike Minor and Dereck Dietrich USA (not mad with these)

I tot 2 redemptions as well I got my hopes up thinking Jeter was the only redemption and assuming this case sucked so muc they would thorw it in there but of course not redemption 1

James Loney which I could live with and then i wouldnt be a upperdeck box for me without a Melvin Mora auto or patch so ya Melvin Mora redemption

I did get 2 other case hits, A tripple auto of Billingsly, Loney and Kemp ( the only good card in the case really besides the holliday) and my yank legacy jersey of Buckey Freakin Dent of all people.

So ya Sorry for wasting your guys times having to read that but if you want anything just pm me and lets go UCONN if they win it all maybe I will be able to get the $250 I have invested in this contest LOL

Last edited by commonking; 04-04-2009 at 03:53 AM.
commonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

if you had bought that case i'd feel bad for you. but it was free so at least the $5 you make off it is all profit.

the guy at my lcs always tries to sell me on how good SPA was this year but i know better, especially after seeing breaks like yours.
screamingdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdc View Post
if you had bought that case i'd feel bad for you. but it was free so at least the $5 you make off it is all profit.

the guy at my lcs always tries to sell me on how good SPA was this year but i know better, especially after seeing breaks like yours.
He must have been stuck with a lot of it lol, but ya the fact that it was free allows me to have a sense of humour with it, at's almost like a free lesson of why you should never spend a ton of mooney on any UD product.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Scott Baker was actually the opening day starter OVER Francisco Liriano. But he went on the DL with arm stiffness. Not a bad pull...
a-train10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not a great case. Halladay is a nice pull, but I would expect a bigger name from an entire case. And I agree, Baker is a decent pull. He's underrated this year, and had a good season last year. As for the other BTLs....ouch.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

You actaully got a couple good cards. when Kershaw and Kennedy get hot you could sell those for alot
derekfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had incredible luck with the 4 boxes I bought of this stuff. 1st had Chipper BTL and Longoria RC Auto. Second had the quad auto case hit. 3rd had Griffey BTL redmp And the last one I just opened had the Jeter BTL Redmp. Sorry to rub it in I just can't believe it. Your case wasn't as bad it it looks though
adamondo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I will remove my skirt and call this case for what it was, Total Garbage! Upper Deck should be ashamed of themselves with this product. I am sorry that your big win did not treat you better...

Can you imagine how yall would feel if you paid full retail for this case?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Scott Baker was actually the opening day starter OVER Francisco Liriano. But he went on the DL with arm stiffness. Not a bad pull...
I actually had him on my fantasy teamlast year to but like you said he was injured for most of the year, I don't see him ahead of liriano though
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamondo5 View Post
I had incredible luck with the 4 boxes I bought of this stuff. 1st had Chipper BTL and Longoria RC Auto. Second had the quad auto case hit. 3rd had Griffey BTL redmp And the last one I just opened had the Jeter BTL Redmp. Sorry to rub it in I just can't believe it. Your case wasn't as bad it it looks though
Nice, I figured that a big name like that would come 1-2 a case as the SP verion /15. I couldn't beleive when I saw that my SP was Paul Konerko, I would quit while I am ahead though lol. Oh and Dereck fan I was actually happier with my RC's then I expected.yje Kershaw,Cueto, and Masterson were all nice pulls, I was just mostly upset witht he letter cards and being short the patches.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

I am interested in the Kelly Johnson.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceczerwonka View Post
I am interested in the Kelly Johnson.
Just Pm me a offer and I can scan it for you if you are interested
Old 04-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Johnny Cueto, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Masterson, & a Dodgers Triple Auto. Looking at that list, I think you're overreacting a bit on how bad this case was. This product may not include a lot of true rookies, but it does include a lot of young, unproven players, so it's a product you may have to sit on for a couple of years. A few of your pulls have some future potential. Granted, this was not a great case, but it wasn't the worst IMO...plus, IT WAS FREE! I think you may be pleasantly surprised by a few of these cards. Just my opinion. I'll bet it was a lot of fun to open!
nephinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
Johnny Cueto, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Masterson, & a Dodgers Triple Auto. Looking at that list, I think you're overreacting a bit on how bad this case was. This product may not include a lot of true rookies, but it does include a lot of young, unproven players, so it's a product you may have to sit on for a couple of years. A few of your pulls have some future potential. Granted, this was not a great case, but it wasn't the worst IMO...plus, IT WAS FREE! I think you may be pleasantly surprised by a few of these cards. Just my opinion. I'll bet it was a lot of fun to open!
It was a lot of fun to open and ya I know I got a lot of top prospects, I deal a lot in prospects so I actually did a lot better there then expected I was just dissapointed with the player sellection of the By The Letters I was hoping to have a bunch to keep for my PC and 1-2 big ones to get some money back but ya didn;t work out.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Decided to open another box of this today. Got a BTL Auto of Halladay #'d 3/5
adamondo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Brandon Phillips BTL ...which one please. All I need is the S and then I'm done

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue View Post
Brandon Phillips BTL ...which one please. All I need is the S and then I'm done
sorry it was a P