Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok.
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
^
You get it...
Not going to be any stories like this for the next generation...

"my dad and I sat in the parking lot opening that case of Bowman Draft so we could flip it on ebay and we didn't hit any AFLAC autos so we packed up the case and sent it back to topps for a replacement case."
cardinalsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
DaveTaplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Gardiner, Me
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
Reseal one of them and put in one of the other boxes?
hehe
I had that thought too, but you will alter the moment you are hoping to have.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
sd_navarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,161
Default

That story right there is what baseball cards are all about. Absolutely.
__________________
Collecting: John Navarre Auto's
sd_navarre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
wow, I hope I didn't open the golden box already!

I bought these for a specific reason. My Dad's 50th birthday is next month and I am going to give him 2 of these.

When I was 7 years old, me and the old man would hit the LCS after baseball practice (he was my coach as well) and we were always buying single packs of 89 UD in search of the storied Griffey rookie.

One night in particular my old man shocked me and bought an entire box of 89 UD wax and I can remember this like it was yesterday. We sat in his '82 Corolla in the driveway of our house (so mom wouldn't see that he had bought an entire box!) and we opened up every pack with each other.... and we didn't hit a single Griffey.

So, with his 50th next month, I saw a thread about a guy who had purchased an 89 box of wax from blowout and it reminded me of the time I shared with my old man. So I quickly hopped over to Blowouts site and snagged the 3 boxes you see above.

And on my Dad's birthday, I plan on telling him to come out to the driveway and get in the car with me... and I will give him the 2 boxes and together we will break them, just like we did over 20 years ago.

So my point, I hope like hell I didn't ruin the moment by hitting the only Griffey's in the box I opened!!! Oh well, even if we don't hit one, I guess it will be fitting since we didn't on that night back in '89. Just making memories with Pop's is worth it.

You guys don't forget that that's what this is really all about anyway. I get caught up trying to make a buck from time to time too with this stuff!

One of the best posts on here in a long time
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
jrodlc08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,314
Default

thanks guys... my old man introduced me to the hobby, his Dad had never had much to do with him so he wanted to make sure we were buddies... and now I'm passing it down to my son (who is 4). "Santa" bought him his first box of cards last Christmas (2011 Topps series 1)... he keeps his "hits" in a wooden box I gave him and LOVES the "dig game" as he calls it
jrodlc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
wow, I hope I didn't open the golden box already!

I bought these for a specific reason. My Dad's 50th birthday is next month and I am going to give him 2 of these.

When I was 7 years old, me and the old man would hit the LCS after baseball practice (he was my coach as well) and we were always buying single packs of 89 UD in search of the storied Griffey rookie.

One night in particular my old man shocked me and bought an entire box of 89 UD wax and I can remember this like it was yesterday. We sat in his '82 Corolla in the driveway of our house (so mom wouldn't see that he had bought an entire box!) and we opened up every pack with each other.... and we didn't hit a single Griffey.

So, with his 50th next month, I saw a thread about a guy who had purchased an 89 box of wax from blowout and it reminded me of the time I shared with my old man. So I quickly hopped over to Blowouts site and snagged the 3 boxes you see above.

And on my Dad's birthday, I plan on telling him to come out to the driveway and get in the car with me... and I will give him the 2 boxes and together we will break them, just like we did over 20 years ago.

So my point, I hope like hell I didn't ruin the moment by hitting the only Griffey's in the box I opened!!! Oh well, even if we don't hit one, I guess it will be fitting since we didn't on that night back in '89. Just making memories with Pop's is worth it.

You guys don't forget that that's what this is really all about anyway. I get caught up trying to make a buck from time to time too with this stuff!
Really awesome story. I hope you hit at least one!
Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
jrodlc08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footsteps View Post
Really awesome story. I hope you hit at least one!
I appreciate that... I've done a lot of breaks with total strangers lately, should be nice to break with Pop's
jrodlc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Mrpokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,781
Default

Please be sure to update this story after your dad opens the box, I'm dying to know if/how many Griffey's he hits
__________________
Currently looking for:
2012 Sp Game Used Retro Rookies Auto - Golf
Bowman Chrome Prospect Auto's
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
IndyKMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central HoosierLand
Posts: 1,390
Default

Man, this is AWESOME. Not only should you hit a Griffey, but you should hit multple Griffeys...in the same pack...with a Murphy reverse negative sandwiched between them.

Seriously, as a father of three myself (all under age 11) I can tell you that a gesture like down the road would be something I would never forget. Well done!
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 646
Default

This belongs in the box break section.
NWOWOLFPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOWOLFPACK View Post
This belongs in the box break section.
You belong in a nuthouse but this isn't a perfect world.
__________________
collecting Nick Foles and Knile Davis
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
cdizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rock Ridge-The sheriff is near!!
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
You belong in a nuthouse but this isn't a perfect world.
Post. Of. Tha. Day.
__________________
Equipmunk sharp, equipmunk dirty. Equipmunk make Kevin's bobbum hurty. Forever unclean!!!
cdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
archiebunkerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 447
Default

It would be nice for his father to rip open a Griffey. But if they don't, at least he can see the two Griffeys that were opened in the first box. I'm sure he will still be happy to see his son get his hands on that card after 20+ years.

Cool story.
archiebunkerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, PA
Posts: 411
Default

very nice story hope you and your father both hit a griffey in the car.
rgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
jrodlc08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,314
Default

thanks for the positive feedback here guys...
We are throwing a surprise b-day party for Pop's on the 25th of this month (Feb.), his actual b-day is the 26th so I will go over to my parents house the day after his party, unannounced and break the boxes with him....
Here is a question, do you guys think I should include my 4 year old son with us in this break or just me and the old man??
Opinions appreciated!
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @MVPbreaks
Ustream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mvpbreaks

*Looking for Jurickson Profar, Michael Choice, Alexi Ogando and Cal Ripken Jr. cards!!
*Check out my EBAY store for great deals on Men's Apparel and sportswear!!!
jrodlc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Apakalypto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
wow, I hope I didn't open the golden box already!

I bought these for a specific reason. My Dad's 50th birthday is next month and I am going to give him 2 of these.

When I was 7 years old, me and the old man would hit the LCS after baseball practice (he was my coach as well) and we were always buying single packs of 89 UD in search of the storied Griffey rookie.

One night in particular my old man shocked me and bought an entire box of 89 UD wax and I can remember this like it was yesterday. We sat in his '82 Corolla in the driveway of our house (so mom wouldn't see that he had bought an entire box!) and we opened up every pack with each other.... and we didn't hit a single Griffey.

So, with his 50th next month, I saw a thread about a guy who had purchased an 89 box of wax from blowout and it reminded me of the time I shared with my old man. So I quickly hopped over to Blowouts site and snagged the 3 boxes you see above.

And on my Dad's birthday, I plan on telling him to come out to the driveway and get in the car with me... and I will give him the 2 boxes and together we will break them, just like we did over 20 years ago.

So my point, I hope like hell I didn't ruin the moment by hitting the only Griffey's in the box I opened!!! Oh well, even if we don't hit one, I guess it will be fitting since we didn't on that night back in '89. Just making memories with Pop's is worth it.

You guys don't forget that that's what this is really all about anyway. I get caught up trying to make a buck from time to time too with this stuff!

That's an awesome memory for you an your pop's.
Good luck pulling a Griffey for the old man.
This is truly what this hobby should be about.
Apakalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Apakalypto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
thanks for the positive feedback here guys...
We are throwing a surprise b-day party for Pop's on the 25th of this month (Feb.), his actual b-day is the 26th so I will go over to my parents house the day after his party, unannounced and break the boxes with him....
Here is a question, do you guys think I should include my 4 year old son with us in this break or just me and the old man??
Opinions appreciated!
Just you and the old man.

You should make new memories with you and your son.
Apakalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
btimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,607
Default

This was a great read, thanks for that! I hope to one day share the hobby with my son, but the cost is just too high for that really. I used to be able to get about 10+ packs a week with my $5 allowance when I was a kid, not that won't get but a few base cards. I did take my son with me last year though and he got his first ever pack, which is still unopened. A simple 2011 Topps Series 1 Hobby Pack. I let him enjoy my commons too, so at least he is getting into it, even at only 2 years old. lol

Again, great story, I hope you and your dad really get a kick out of this break.
btimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
jrodlc08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apakalypto View Post
Just you and the old man.

You should make new memories with you and your son.
that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment...

thanks guys!
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @MVPbreaks
Ustream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mvpbreaks

*Looking for Jurickson Profar, Michael Choice, Alexi Ogando and Cal Ripken Jr. cards!!
*Check out my EBAY store for great deals on Men's Apparel and sportswear!!!
jrodlc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
stinkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 2,860
Default

awesome story bud, hope its a blast.

my dad too took me as a kid to get packs and such, never got into it much himself, but i remember after my parents split he would take us out for dinner once a week, and he would always pretend like he wasn't going to stop at the store. he would pretend the wheel was "stuck" and wouldn't turn, and then drove past it, only to pull into the next shopping center and turn around and take me there after all. wish he got into it with me, but still loved those stops as a kid, even though it was useless early 90s basketball.
__________________
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/stinkus
Please don't ever ask me for my "best price" on something. It's already been posted. MAKE. AN. OFFER. Tell me if you live outside the US.
stinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
stinkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 2,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
This was a great read, thanks for that! I hope to one day share the hobby with my son, but the cost is just too high for that really. I used to be able to get about 10+ packs a week with my $5 allowance when I was a kid, not that won't get but a few base cards. I did take my son with me last year though and he got his first ever pack, which is still unopened. A simple 2011 Topps Series 1 Hobby Pack. I let him enjoy my commons too, so at least he is getting into it, even at only 2 years old. lol

Again, great story, I hope you and your dad really get a kick out of this break.
So true....you could walk in with $10-$20 and come out with 5-10 packs no problem...there were no $200-$500 PACKS or BOXES.
__________________
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/stinkus
Please don't ever ask me for my "best price" on something. It's already been posted. MAKE. AN. OFFER. Tell me if you live outside the US.
stinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #47 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16,215
Default

those are some nice looking Griffey's. At Twinsfest this past weekend I scooped up a 89 Factory set and cracked it in hopes of finding a pristine Griffey, only to find a off-centered one oh well you win some you lose some.
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
wow, I hope I didn't open the golden box already!

I bought these for a specific reason. My Dad's 50th birthday is next month and I am going to give him 2 of these.

When I was 7 years old, me and the old man would hit the LCS after baseball practice (he was my coach as well) and we were always buying single packs of 89 UD in search of the storied Griffey rookie.

One night in particular my old man shocked me and bought an entire box of 89 UD wax and I can remember this like it was yesterday. We sat in his '82 Corolla in the driveway of our house (so mom wouldn't see that he had bought an entire box!) and we opened up every pack with each other.... and we didn't hit a single Griffey.

So, with his 50th next month, I saw a thread about a guy who had purchased an 89 box of wax from blowout and it reminded me of the time I shared with my old man. So I quickly hopped over to Blowouts site and snagged the 3 boxes you see above.

And on my Dad's birthday, I plan on telling him to come out to the driveway and get in the car with me... and I will give him the 2 boxes and together we will break them, just like we did over 20 years ago.

So my point, I hope like hell I didn't ruin the moment by hitting the only Griffey's in the box I opened!!! Oh well, even if we don't hit one, I guess it will be fitting since we didn't on that night back in '89. Just making memories with Pop's is worth it.

You guys don't forget that that's what this is really all about anyway. I get caught up trying to make a buck from time to time too with this stuff!
What a fantastic story.

And honestly, I think including your son in the break will make it even better. Or at least maybe bring him in part way through.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkus View Post
awesome story bud, hope its a blast.

my dad too took me as a kid to get packs and such, never got into it much himself, but i remember after my parents split he would take us out for dinner once a week, and he would always pretend like he wasn't going to stop at the store. he would pretend the wheel was "stuck" and wouldn't turn, and then drove past it, only to pull into the next shopping center and turn around and take me there after all. wish he got into it with me, but still loved those stops as a kid, even though it was useless early 90s basketball.
90's basketball cards are some of the most vaulable cards out there
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,841
Default

Those Griffeys are fake.

JK - great story. I have lots of same memories from same years. Additionally, you can pick up tons of 'junk wax" from those years for a lot less than we paid for them back then. Lots of fun and memories for little money.

Just opened a handful of Vending boxes last week from 82, 83 and 84. Lots of memories with those cards.
__________________
If you have to explain why it's a 1/1, then it's NOT a 1/1.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.