Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
Alright guys. I promised I would give everyone an update after I gave the 2 boxes to my dad for his birthday so here is the recap:

I drove over to his house on Wednesday and waited for him to get home from work. He was surprised to see me when he drove up. "Hey bud, what in the world are you doing here?"

I told him I had an early birthday present for him and I wanted him to open it before mom got home. My dad has an old Toyota Corolla in his driveway, not the 1982 model that we sat in back in 1989, but a "new" one he bought in 2001, so I asked him if we could get in it. HE looked at me a little funny and said "It doesn't run, I think the battery is dead anyway."

I told him that didn't matter, that I just wanted him to open his present in it. He shook his head and laughed but said okay. So we got in, Dad in the drivers seat, me in the passengers seat, in Dad's driveway, a box of '89 Upper Deck in my lap... I truly was 7 years old again.

I handed my Dad the box and told him Happy Birthday. He opened the box and pulled out the 2 boxes of cards and stared at them for a minute. I could see the wheels turning while I waited for recognition... Then he read "1989" out loud and then a grin spread across his face. "Where did you find these!?"

I told him about reading a post on blowout and when I realized they had them available I thought about his 50th birthday and had to buy them.

Dad told me he remembered sitting in the car with me breaking that box 23 years ago like it was yesterday. I could see the emotion in his face. "Let's do it Pops!" I said.

So we started our break. As we opened each pack we reminisced about all the times we had shared collecting when I was a boy. We talked about getting Steve Carlton's auto at Fan Fest back when the MLB All Star game was at the Ballpark in Arlington. We remembered the Will Clark homerun ball Dad had caught with me sitting next to him in Homerun Porch. We talked about chasing down a scooter carrying Reggie Jackson at DFW airport and getting his auto. And then we talked about that night 23 years ago in the driveway, sitting in Dad's Corolla, breaking that box of '89 Upper Deck together.

A few tears managed to sneak out of Dad's eyes which he quickly brushed away. "I love you son! we had a lot of fun together didn't we..." I told him I was lucky to have a best friend for a dad and then I lightened up the mood... "Well, we are 1/2 way through these boxes and we still haven't hit a Griffey! I guess it would be fitting if we didn't though wouldn't it!"

Dad told me he remembered getting to the bottom of the box back in '89 and seeing 2 packs left and actually feeling a bit nervous thinking 'Surely we won't strike out with an entire box!'

While he was talking I was shuffling through my current pack... Ron Washington, Terry Pendleton... and there it was... the #1 Ken Griffey Jr. rookie... Dad was still talking, shuffling through his cards. I reached across and handed him the card. When he saw it a huge smile spread across his face. "Alright! Finally! It only took 3 boxes and 23 years!" I slipped the card into a penny sleeve and top loader and handed it to him. "You pulled it, you should keep it", he said.

"No way, this one is yours. Happy 50th birthday Pop's, I love you."

What an awesome story. It brought tears to my eyes. This is what this hobby is all about.

I do not send or accept PayPal gift payments.
TPence1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #77 (permalink)

I'm not like all these whimpering babies around here...I actually got chills and goosebumps before I wept a river after reading this. Thanks for sharing it - great writing too! Start a blog.
Friarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #78 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

Awesome ending. I wish more often than not this is what this hobby was still about and to some it is but for most its a rip and flip world.

As for the griffey a few years back I spent a decent amount at the LCS opening packs (i know just buy one its cheaper but thats not the point) to pull a griffey. It was one of the last packs in the box (lol go figure) but it was pulling that thing out of a pack that made it worth it to me. Along with my Smoltz, RJ, Sheffield, Felix Jose et.al. I finally had my Griffey Jr. This is one I will never sell something magical about that product. But in hindsight it is what started most of this craze of a hobby we all love so much.

And Jim i know what you mean that movie had me in tears the whole time.
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #79 (permalink)

thanks again guys... I think I will print off this thread and give it to my Dad. He would be really proud to know that our little story was received this way! Glad to be a part of the boards!

*Looking for Jurickson Profar, Michael Choice, Alexi Ogando and Cal Ripken Jr. cards!!
*Check out my EBAY store for great deals on Men's Apparel and sportswear!!!
jrodlc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #80 (permalink)

Freakin' sonofa....

There's no damn crying in baseball!!!

Guess I can add this with the final scene in Field of Dreams when Costner asks his pop for a game of catch as baseball moments that bring a tear to my eye. Well done .... you certainly provided your dad with one of the genuine highlights of his life, no question about it.

And by the way...if it ever comes out you made this up as part of some sort of creative writing cult, I'll find you, ring your bell, and give you a swift kick in the junk with a steel-toed shoe

Last edited by IndyKMB; 02-24-2012 at 10:52 PM.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodlc08 View Post
Alright guys. I promised I would give everyone an update after I gave the 2 boxes to my dad for his birthday so here is the recap:

I drove over to his house on Wednesday and waited for him to get home from work. He was surprised to see me when he drove up. "Hey bud, what in the world are you doing here?"

I told him I had an early birthday present for him and I wanted him to open it before mom got home. My dad has an old Toyota Corolla in his driveway, not the 1982 model that we sat in back in 1989, but a "new" one he bought in 2001, so I asked him if we could get in it. HE looked at me a little funny and said "It doesn't run, I think the battery is dead anyway."

I told him that didn't matter, that I just wanted him to open his present in it. He shook his head and laughed but said okay. So we got in, Dad in the drivers seat, me in the passengers seat, in Dad's driveway, a box of '89 Upper Deck in my lap... I truly was 7 years old again.

I handed my Dad the box and told him Happy Birthday. He opened the box and pulled out the 2 boxes of cards and stared at them for a minute. I could see the wheels turning while I waited for recognition... Then he read "1989" out loud and then a grin spread across his face. "Where did you find these!?"

I told him about reading a post on blowout and when I realized they had them available I thought about his 50th birthday and had to buy them.

Dad told me he remembered sitting in the car with me breaking that box 23 years ago like it was yesterday. I could see the emotion in his face. "Let's do it Pops!" I said.

So we started our break. As we opened each pack we reminisced about all the times we had shared collecting when I was a boy. We talked about getting Steve Carlton's auto at Fan Fest back when the MLB All Star game was at the Ballpark in Arlington. We remembered the Will Clark homerun ball Dad had caught with me sitting next to him in Homerun Porch. We talked about chasing down a scooter carrying Reggie Jackson at DFW airport and getting his auto. And then we talked about that night 23 years ago in the driveway, sitting in Dad's Corolla, breaking that box of '89 Upper Deck together.

A few tears managed to sneak out of Dad's eyes which he quickly brushed away. "I love you son! we had a lot of fun together didn't we..." I told him I was lucky to have a best friend for a dad and then I lightened up the mood... "Well, we are 1/2 way through these boxes and we still haven't hit a Griffey! I guess it would be fitting if we didn't though wouldn't it!"

Dad told me he remembered getting to the bottom of the box back in '89 and seeing 2 packs left and actually feeling a bit nervous thinking 'Surely we won't strike out with an entire box!'

While he was talking I was shuffling through my current pack... Ron Washington, Terry Pendleton... and there it was... the #1 Ken Griffey Jr. rookie... Dad was still talking, shuffling through his cards. I reached across and handed him the card. When he saw it a huge smile spread across his face. "Alright! Finally! It only took 3 boxes and 23 years!" I slipped the card into a penny sleeve and top loader and handed it to him. "You pulled it, you should keep it", he said.

"No way, this one is yours. Happy 50th birthday Pop's, I love you."
Holy crap, man. This is the first that I have seen this thread, and it takes me back to opening cards in the late 80's. I was born in 1984, and from about 3 or 4 years old on just loved opening cards.

I definitely got goosebumps reading your story-how awesome. Whether it is baseball cards, or whatever-this is what life is all about. Great stuff, and this thread gets a definite from me
Hail2TheVictors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKMB View Post
Freakin' sonofa....

Guess I can add this with the final scene in Field of Dreams when Costner asks his pop for a game of catch as baseball moments that bring a tear to my eye. Well done .... you certainly provided your dad with one of the genuine highlights of his life, no question about it.

And by the way...if it ever comes out you made this up as part of some sort of creative writing cult, I'll find you, ring your bell, and give you a swift kick in the junk with a steel-toed shoe
Hah! That made me laugh man... definitely legit... I'm not usually all sentimental but that memory with Dad was one of my fondest and I had to capitalize on it when I saw the boxes Blowout had available... just glad we actually hit a Griffey this time!

*Looking for Jurickson Profar, Michael Choice, Alexi Ogando and Cal Ripken Jr. cards!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #83 (permalink)
Inactive Account

great story, thanks for sharing!
worldwidebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #84 (permalink)

amazing story Thanks for putting a smile on my face
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Man, this is AWESOME. Not only should you hit a Griffey, but you should hit multple Griffeys...in the same pack...with a Murphy reverse negative sandwiched between them.

Seriously, as a father of three myself (all under age 11) I can tell you that a gesture like down the road would be something I would never forget. Well done!
Haha

Too bad those Dale's were only in the factory sets

Nice thread
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #86 (permalink)

Man, I really miss my dad right now. Enjoy your pops while he's still with you guys. I lost my dad at 26. You never know when the bell rings.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #87 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Man, I really miss my dad right now. Enjoy your pops while he's still with you guys. I lost my dad at 26. You never know when the bell rings.
I hear ya, great story about the gift to the OP

I was 25 when mine went and we had drifted apart, but he is the reason I love this hobby then and know

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Freakin' sonofa....

My wife laughs at me every time we watch that movie. That scene damnit. I cry. Every damn time.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #89 (permalink)

Just awesome ,not a dry eye in this thread!
imbaked247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #90 (permalink)
CLG

Beautiful story. No dry eyes here. Thanks for bringing back my own memories of my pops and me!
CLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #91 (permalink)

One last update guys... I had our Griffey slabbed last week, BGS 9.5!!! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE COMMENTS! I printed them all out and gave them to my Dad. He thought it was really cool that so many people appreciated our story... Now go make some memories!