Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

View Poll Results: Your average 'return on investment' per $100 spent on busting boxes
$25 and above 12 16.90%
$6 to $24 9 12.68%
-$5 to $5 3 4.23%
-$20 to -$6 10 14.08%
-$21 to -$35 11 15.49%
-$36 or less 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What has been your average return on every $100 invested in breaking boxes?

We all have great 'big fish' stories, but I want to hear what you think your average return has been per $100 "invested" in breaking boxes?
aa452110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Prolly about $60. Hard to tell sometimes because of PC items.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Assuming everyone is on the same page with return on investment here: -20 would mean you get back only 80 of your investment. Return on investment measures the change in the value of your investment, not the value of your investment plus/minus your gain or loss.

Not that I am looking for a semantics conversation here. Just wondering what people feel like busting wax gets them from a monetary standpoint.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Iv done pretty well, i bust like 1-2 boxes a year, boxes like bowman, and bowman chrome though.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I count my labor as well and it well below $36. After labor I make maybe $20 per $100, so it is a pretty expensive hobby, that being said, I don't participate all the time, I only come into the hobby when there is a good crop of prospects.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal875 View Post
I count my labor as well and it well below $36. After labor I make maybe $20 per $100, so it is a pretty expensive hobby, that being said, I don't participate all the time, I only come into the hobby when there is a good crop of prospects.
Labor?

I only bust good ROI products. Mine is closer to 100%. I just want 60%, because 40% of it is all fun for me. But I do very well with ROI, but mainly because quantity >quality for my breaks.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Labor is every minute you spend listing, scanning, emailing, shipping the cards. I make generally $50 an hour when I work so that is what I deduct from my "profit". This thread should be informational for people who are entertaining the idea of doing cards for a real living, and if you don't want to live out of a minivan with all of your cards, you need to count labor. The basic answer is that if you want to make $$ at cards you have to sell unopened material and make wise choices on cards and collections to invest in. Otherwise you are either a gambler or a hobbyist, both of which bust boxes.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Labor is every minute you spend listing, scanning, emailing, shipping the cards. I make generally $50 an hour when I work so that is what I deduct from my "profit". This thread should be informational for people who are entertaining the idea of doing cards for a real living, and if you don't want to live out of a minivan with all of your cards, you need to count labor. The basic answer is that if you want to make $$ at cards you have to sell unopened material and make wise choices on cards and collections to invest in. Otherwise you are either a gambler or a hobbyist, both of which bust boxes.
Well I'm a perfect example. I don't have a job. I go to college full-time. People like you shouldn't spend time selling cards haha. I'm sure you have a family as well, and if not, still a full-time job. So counting labor makes sense, because it is time you don't really want to spend selling cards. As for me, I don't count labor because I am doing this on my own. My time is my choice, so labor is free. I have plenty of time to scan, list, package, and ship. It doesn't cut into a job or family, because I don't have that, I just spend 30 hours with school a week. So anything that sells is a profit, as labor is free. If people want to do this for a living, to support themselves, counting labor really isn't needed.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Average??? 40$ is my guess.
DiceKCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
Well I'm a perfect example. I don't have a job. I go to college full-time. People like you shouldn't spend time selling cards haha. I'm sure you have a family as well, and if not, still a full-time job. So counting labor makes sense, because it is time you don't really want to spend selling cards. As for me, I don't count labor because I am doing this on my own. My time is my choice, so labor is free. I have plenty of time to scan, list, package, and ship. It doesn't cut into a job or family, because I don't have that, I just spend 30 hours with school a week. So anything that sells is a profit, as labor is free. If people want to do this for a living, to support themselves, counting labor really isn't needed.
How can you justify sleeping then if labor counts for cards?
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

" roi
Abbreviation:
Return on investment.
More info »Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Return On Investment (ROI) Definition | Investopedia
Return On Investment (ROI) Definition | Investopedia
Return On Investment (ROI) - Definition of Return On Investment (ROI) on Investopedia - A performance measure used to evaluate the efficiency of an investment ...
How To Calculate Return On ... - Return On Equity (ROE) - FYI On ROI"
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
How can you justify sleeping then if labor counts for cards?
Do you stalk me? Seriously. Comment on the damn thread, stop stalking me.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Can busting wax really be considered and investment? That sounds like something my Dad would say to my Mom about buying and ATV, Snowmobile or some other BS.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you stalk me? Seriously. Comment on the damn thread, stop stalking me.
Yeah, because I directed it at you because you were mentioning how you take labor out of your profits.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, because I directed it at you because you were mentioning how you take labor out of your profits.
Why did you quote me then? I mean you like to do this to me haha, so of course I act defensive.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Everyone's quoting opportunity cost basically.
1. You have to sleep; that isn't debatable and you can justify it by your raising your efficiency during those hours you are awake. You simply operate better with hours of sleep the great majority of the time.
2. Stress relief. Hobbies you enjoy and so on are semi-productive in that and other things. Can argue lifespan and all that jazz but I'll go another route and use common logic in that you can not work every single minute you are sleeping. You just need non-work things.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I make generally $50 an hour when I work so that is what I deduct from my "profit"..
Are you Azalin7?
KingFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Why did you quote me then? I mean you like to do this to me haha, so of course I act defensive.
Since you had an opinion that agreed with me that cards are a hobby not a business
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

I agree with the general consensus that this is a hobby and if you are in it to make money (opportunity cost figured in or not) then your going to be disappointed.

But I still like to get a feel for what my hobby costs me. Just like I look at a lift ticket price for skiing before I buy.

Its just interesting that I don't do a great job at keeping track of exactly what this hobby costs me. Its fun to break boxes. And I will keep doing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Since you had an opinion that agreed with me that cards are a hobby not a business
Well I'm a poophead then
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

I try to make 20% so $120 return for every $100 of boxes after fees and shipping. That was my model during college, and now that I am starting up again in the hobby as a business, I am so far averaging 14% return.

Most of it is picking the right product. Since I've been back at breaking cases for profit, 2 out of 3 cases I've turned a profit. I remember a philosopher once saying that 2 out of 3 a'int bad.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I try to make 20% so $120 return for every $100 of boxes after fees and shipping. That was my model during college, and now that I am starting up again in the hobby as a business, I am so far averaging 14% return.

Most of it is picking the right product. Since I've been back at breaking cases for profit, 2 out of 3 cases I've turned a profit. I remember a philosopher once saying that 2 out of 3 a'int bad.
Series 1/2 hockey helps great ROI
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I remember a philosopher once saying that 2 out of 3 a'int bad.
That was an extremely wise man named Meat Loaf.
KingFelix is offline   Reply With Quote