Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #51 (permalink)
Tim

After reading this thread I have two completely differering opinions:

1.) for anyone to question what houdini did reeks of judgmental, sanctimonious self-righteousness steeped in jealousy for not having had the same opportunity.

2.) i have to say, though, that mcdo0423 handled himself with professionalism throughout the debate, unlike houdini who resorted to name calling. just sayin'
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
He didn't want it mentioned that he got extra packs, because he probably knew something like this would ensue. Someone on another thread posted exactly how many extra were recieved, and Houdini was not very happy about that.
Houdini is a stand-up guy, I have no qualms about his good fortune; but Topps QC/distribution/whatever methods for this whole redemption program are a joke.

That is, unless there are actually more than 10,000 packs. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN
NonFlammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Bank Makes Big Error And Man Spends Money

what's the ethical difference here and there?

Houdini saw a rich, greedy banker drop $2000 in the street. He didn't go after him because he wasn't smart enough to realize the money he picked up was actually not the greedy banker's, but someone else's. Moreover, Houdini pocketed only 1/10th ($200) of the lost money, and very generously gave the rest away via a nice, big dinner party out on the town. Who could be upset with him for such behavior? Certainly not those living on the same ethical platform as he-- that much is clear.
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #54 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

i will say this, i was the post right before this thread blew up... i never had any issues with houdini's actions, i'm good with him on this.

i did however try to make a point about Topps completely butchering this promotion. i can't believe this thread got so out of hand. I had supported Topps throughout the promotion, sent in some wrappers and will see what happens. But I'm more irritated that if I miss out on my packs because Topps kept sending out the incorrect number of packs to people, I have a big big problem with that.

So if Houdini got 80 extra packs (just saying), and that other guy got 18 extra packs (25 over 7), what if my 10 packs would have been in the next group to get redeemed and they run out just before me (hypothetical I know, but devil's advocate here)... so even though I made the cutoff for the first 10,000 i miss out because they can't count over there, that's my issue, nothing about how the host handled himself

right or wrong, it's his decision and i have nothing in it

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
After reading this thread I have two completely differering opinions:

1.) for anyone to question what houdini did reeks of judgmental, sanctimonious self-righteousness steeped in jealousy for not having had the same opportunity.

2.) i have to say, though, that mcdo0423 handled himself with professionalism throughout the debate, unlike houdini who resorted to name calling. just sayin'
I agree with #2. Houdini came off as classless and rude while the other guy took the high road and was nothing but polite while explaining his point of view. Really shows the character of the two involved (as much as the topic of this thread itself).
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonFlammable View Post
Houdini is a stand-up guy, I have no qualms about his good fortune; but Topps QC/distribution/whatever methods for this whole redemption program are a joke.

That is, unless there are actually more than 10,000 packs. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN
I agree, he's a fellow Rays fan so that helps

But all kidding aside, he was put in an awkward position by getting the extra packs. It's not his fault, and he'd still have the trolls coming in here saying "you should have kept the packs" if he would have returned them. Another one of those situations where you can't win no matter what.

Topps definetly didn't handle this right (and this coming from an avid Topps supporter). The Wrapper Redemption programs they've done that WERNT limited have gone smoothly, but once they limit the packs, it goes to hell because everyone goes and hurries with their wrappers and you will get unhappy people everywhere, and then others wondering if they are going to get any. Topps got way more than 10,000 packs worth of wrappers for the Series 1 promotion, but it was spread out over 2-3 weeks, so it was easier to handle. They definetly didn't prepare for the onslaught they were going to recieve, but hopefully they find a way to fix it in the future, as I've said before, even if it was 15,000 packs limit for this, I think they would have lasted through Wendesday or Thursday, and some of the people who bought wrappers might have gotten theirs too, and there would have been LESS upset people.

Because thats all you really do with something like this, make the least number of people upset as possible, because you can't please everyone. If I remember correctly, Series 1's promotion went pretty well, and hopefully Series 2 goes well. I think we all want a wrapper redemption program to be there, just better managed.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Probably should have just kept it quiet and not said anything.....
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #58 (permalink)

I work for Peapod. If a customer gets an entire wrong order we tell them to keep it on us and still send them a new one. Bottom line topps would have told him to keep the packs regardless
joey_peapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
How did Houdini obtain the packs evilly, illegally, or dishonestly? He sent in wrappers like many others and Topps sent him packs in return. Did he receive the correct number? No, but as he pointed out, several other posters on this board received the incorrect number (some more than they should have received, some fewer than what they should have received). That doesn't sound evil, illegal, or dishonest to me, unless you are accusing Houdini of lying to Topps about the number of wrappers he sent in. That, or your definition of ill-gotten gains is different than what I've always understood that term to mean.
Not going to argue semantics. Bottom line is that it was a poor decision to keep 80 packs that should have went to someone else. I consider that to be dishonest. If you and others disagree, so be it.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceposey View Post
I just think this whole break should have just been between the members involved. No mention of extra packs, and people who got shafted by Topps wouldn't be all up in arms. Either way great break.

I just don't understand the rants by any of you. To be honest, I really doubt houdini cares what any of you think. He did what he felt was best for him and the group break, plain and simple. He got more packs than he should have...and other people got shorted as a result, but its not his fault that happened. He did not force someone to give him extra stuff.

And for those of you boneheads who cry "but its unethical for him to do that! He should have sent back to topps!" Have obviously never dealt with topps customer service. Those returned packs never would have gone out (a complete fact). Instead, they would have been opened, autos removed to use as redemption replacement hits, and the rest would have been pitched.

All of you, get over yourselves. Its just annoying to see members act like that. He didn't do the right thing, he didn't do the wrong thing- he just did something, which was his choice. He is a quality forum member who does great group breaks. Leave it at that. If you don't like how he acted, hen don't join his next break. Whining about him isn't going to do anything but make yourself look like a fool.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #61 (permalink)

He helped a guy that was shorted, kept 10 of them & gave away the rest to people who were in a break with him.

You guys are just s***ing on the wrong dude here. Houdini is one of the most honest people on here. I mean for god sakes he could have kept them ALL. Instead he helped a guy who got shorted & not like it was a few packs it was 17 or 18 of them (pretty healthy number of packs & approx. 25% of the free packs received). If was a faster solution than calling topps only to have them bungle the situation they created further.

Then he gave the rest away to people in a group break & kept 10 for himself.

Pretty damn unselfish if you ask me. JMO & I respect everyone's opinion no matter what side of this fence thy are on.

MY PC NFS/NFT: http://www.zistle.com/bboi30/collections/baseball
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #62 (permalink)

Default Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboi30 View Post
He helped a guy that was shorted, kept 10 of them & gave away the rest to people who were in a break with him.

You guys are just s***ing on the wrong dude here. Houdini is one of the most honest people on here. I mean for god sakes he could have kept them ALL. Instead he helped a guy who got shorted & not like it was a few packs it was 17 or 18 of them (pretty healthy number of packs & approx. 25% of the free packs received). If was a faster solution than calling topps only to have them bungle the situation they created further.

Then he gave the rest away to people in a group break & kept 10 for himself.

Pretty damn unselfish if you ask me. JMO & I respect everyone's opinion no matter what side of this fence thy are on.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. It would have been so easy for Houdini to not show the extra Blue Wave packs. He could have kept all of the extra packs for himself & not said a word to anyone.

He videotapes everything & of course he showed the opening of the blue wave pack boxes. He noted the non-auto boxes the Blue Wave packs were shipped in.
He doesn't hide anything. He has remained above reproach in his handling of his pack & case breaks. He wasn't trying to brag about getting the extra packs. It was a gift that was a courtesy of the poor quality control @ Topps inwhich he generously shared with his slot holders.

For those of you who were shorted or didn't get any packs, my apologies. This was a clusterf*&# to many that was manifested by Topps.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
I agree with #2. Houdini came off as classless and rude while the other guy took the high road and was nothing but polite while explaining his point of view. Really shows the character of the two involved (as much as the topic of this thread itself).
Pretty much what I saw too. most of what houdini was responding to were things that weren't even said, and called the guy a bunch of names for no apparent reason.

sad to see
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #64 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to heelsfan4life78 Send a message via AIM to heelsfan4life78 Send a message via MSN to heelsfan4life78 Send a message via Yahoo to heelsfan4life78

So what most are saying is that when anyone gets an extra autograph or game used in there box they should send it back to the company because you got more than you were supposed to. Alot of times people are shorted hits and they cry and call customer service the minute the finish the box break. But i highly doubt these same people call customer service when they get an extra hit or two per box. Be happy with what you get and stop crying about what you dont. Its the way the card hobby is now.
heelsfan4life78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsfan4life78 View Post
So what most are saying is that when anyone gets an extra autograph or game used in there box they should send it back to the company because you got more than you were supposed to. Alot of times people are shorted hits and they cry and call customer service the minute the finish the box break. But i highly doubt these same people call customer service when they get an extra hit or two per box. Be happy with what you get and stop crying about what you dont. Its the way the card hobby is now.

Are you seriously trying to compare an extra hit in a box to 80 packs? Look at the math we are talking a mistake of over 3 hobby boxes. Huge difference man. This is Topp's fault, but there is no way in hell you can compare receiving an extra hit in a box to receiving the contents of over 3 hobby boxes. Get real.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #66 (permalink)

If that guy got the extra packs he would have opened them and probably started a thread braging about it. It is what it is and houdini didnt do anything wrong. What is this guys beef?
chadc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #67 (permalink)

a memo to all the self-righteous people on here that would have called Topps to return the packs= Bullsh*t !!
kidlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #68 (permalink)

Very nice break Houdini, thanks for sharing. I think the cards look amazing. Kinda nice that Topps made so few of them, although that has created a firestorm.

I hope you keep posting and don't let this thread get to you. I am one of probably many folks that watch your breaks and get value out of your membership on this forum. I would hate to see you run off by a few negative posts.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc13 View Post
If that guy got the extra packs he would have opened them and probably started a thread braging about it. It is what it is and houdini didnt do anything wrong. What is this guys beef?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlou View Post
a memo to all the self-righteous people on here that would have called Topps to return the packs= Bullsh*t !!
I know what I would do, whether you want to believe me or not is fine by me. I stated that I didn't agree with Houdini's decision. That is really as far as that conversation would have had to go.

Alex - I agree, these cards do look amazing.
mcdo0423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #70 (permalink)

How about everyone just stop judging everyone else? There may be two camps but come on, we are all into baseball and baseball cards.

Thanks for posting this Houdini, I hope I end up getting a cool one from the break.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #71 (permalink)

Just happened upon this. Not trying to fuel any fires, just thought it was interesting since it is a similar (albeit not the same) situation.

Situation
mcdo0423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #72 (permalink)

Most of you are getting mad at the wrong person--be mad at Topps. I wasn't convinced I was getting any packs despite sending them in Wed. night as most everyone else but this is Topps' error and they should be the one catching slack, not Houdini or anyone else who benefited. 80 packs is a huge error and Topps should be appalled.

They won't be because you'd rather blast the person who received them than take your complaints directly to Topps. You're still going to buy their product after this, so why should they care? It's not as if those of you, like me, who didn't receive packs would have received them if this error (and others like it) weren't made.

If you want to be mad, be so at Topps. In fact, I imagine this is even a case PA residents could file with the Better Business Bureau if people like Houdini would give a statement.

And more so, I'd be mad at Topps allowing card shops to receive these packs as well. It's one thing for a card shop to bust cases, it's another to participate in what is supposed to be a reward/contest for consumers.

I see why it was so easy to leave the hobby for so long. Again, I don't care that I didn't get any packs, I care that the contest was so shoddily run and with questionable business ethics.
wreckingshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #73 (permalink)

I for one will assume that I was due about $1,000 worth of Blue Wave cards. Most of my wrappers made it in on that Saturday and some made it in on Monday at 9:30 A.M.
I have received nothing as of yet and my plan is to not buy $1,000 worth of Topps product that I normally would have. Even if I do get any packs at this point. The kicker is, if I can stop my addiction for that $1,000, I can do it for $10,000. Or, for good!
This WILL be the last time Topps shafts me!
just-for-cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #74 (permalink)

I remember the time I was suppose to only receive my one prospect auto in my Topps box, but I mistakenly received three.

I called Topps the next morning to explain their egregious error and insisted that I overnight back the two additional cards I received in my box, because surely, some kid who saved up all summer to buy a box, was going to get shorted his hit because of my greed.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #75 (permalink)

I don't really care that much but it sure would have been nice to get the 10 packs worth that I sent in within 2 days of "release."
aaron41984 is offline   Reply With Quote